Mass Effect 2/3/Andromeda M96 Mattock Heavy Rifle Build V2.5 2017

Re: Mass Effect 2/3 M96 Mattock Heavy Rifle Build V2

So, this thing is awesome. I use the Mattock all the time in ME3 multiplayer and I wish I had the money to pick up a cast (assuming you make copies)...

Ah well, I'll just watch the thread.

how do you make stuff out of that? could you please do a couple of tutorials?

This is your tutorial :p theres already around 100 pictures in this thread!

and heres some more!

Panel lines, plus that nasty intersection where the body and stock meet. I took care of it later.

DSCN0548.jpg

Graft complete! I seal this stuff by multiple coats of filler primer as well as sanding inbetween layers.

DSCN0551.jpg

Another panel line. I just use a razor and sandpaper for these

DSCN0554.jpg

little sling mount near the foregrip. we only use the best materials here at Zprops (sections of a safety pin for pinning)

DSCN0557.jpg

installed

DSCN0559.jpg

Hours and hours of prep

DSCN0560.jpg

New detail under the carrying handle. I like how it turned out

DSCN0561.jpg

Top detais. This section comes out for clean casting, as well as being able to dremel out whats underneath to install LEDs etc in the main body casting

DSCN0562.jpg

Its a really tight fit for the carrying handle to mount here. This is a good example of the registration keys throughout the build

DSCN0563.jpg

I knocked this paint job in one day. Dont judge! Its for promotional reasons and will get re primed and sanded before molding.

DSCN0564.jpg

DSCN0565.jpg

My friend happily holding the gun

DSCN0566.jpg

Thanks for the encouraging words Bill, and others!

Last edited:

My friend happily holding the gun

DSCN0566.jpg

"That's right, I won't be needing to bring the redshirts with me this time- I got this!"

(This is a great build- and going back through this thread does give me a much better appreciation of what it took to do it.)

That looks sweet!

So where do you get your MDF? I've never purposely gone looking for it, but have looked while at Lowe's/Home Depot, but I've only seen it in 1/2" or 3/4" thicknesses like you'd use for shelving.

That looks sweet!

So where do you get your MDF? I've never purposely gone looking for it, but have looked while at Lowe's/Home Depot, but I've only seen it in 1/2" or 3/4" thicknesses like you'd use for shelving.

Thank you sir!

home depot. I get the .25, .5, and the stuff that's a hair under .125

very nice Zander, thank you for making steps to allow LED lighting, this is definetely what I have in mind

Did you start molding it Zander?

Nope, went back and disassembled, sanded it down best I could, and Im still wrapping my head around this whole 19 pieces thing. 17 parts pictures below ready for molding, with parts number 18 and 19 being the little knobs on the scope. If I leave the knobs on theres a mild undercut.

(I could mold the whole thing much less parts but the separate stock, top detail, carrying handle, etc etc were all design to give access points before assembly. )

DSCN0665.jpg

plz dont mold it in one piece, this will be bigger for shipping (higher costs) and most importantly will leave no options for customizations

plz dont mold it in one piece, this will be bigger for shipping (higher costs) and most importantly will leave no options for customizations

Its going to be 19 pieces, as you see it above. No point doing all of that extra work if im going to cast it in one huge chunk. I only have to consider how im going to consolidate the parts in the mold. I think Im going to have the small parts as part of the mold vents so they get casted in the process, rather than having to make a separate mold for them.

What an amazing build ! I love it when there is such a great write up on the build like you have done here. Thank you for sharing so much !

Amazing!

Just an idea though. With the rifle split up in so many parts you could easily make a few more parts and also offer an M-55 Argus kit, which is incredibly similar to the Mattock. Or the creative types could easily do it themselves. :)

ME3_Mattock_Assault_Rifle.png

ME3_Argus_Assault_Rifle.png

(I prefer the Mattock though, Argus looks like a sort of neutered Mattock :p )

Or even the Cerberus Harrier, would require even less change then the Argus. :D
ME3_Cerberus_Harrier.png

That was the original thinking :) (thats why the lower foregrip, carrying handle, stock, and trigger guard are not being molded to the main body and cast separately.) I wanted to give my buyers options.

Although, ive never seen that cerberus design posted anywhere. good find!

Also, thanks naruto and weasel!

Last edited:

That was the original thinking :) (thats why the lower foregrip, carrying handle, stock, and trigger guard are not being molded to the main body and cast separately.) I wanted to give my buyers options.

Although, ive never seen that cerberus design posted anywhere. good find!
It's called the Cerberus Harrier and was included in the latest multiplayer DLC Rebellion. Basically a more powerfull fully automatic version with less recoil then the mattock.

This is seriously amazing. I have seen some great work and this goes well beyond great work! Your attention to detail and precision therein is astounding. The little styrene details and bevels blow my mind. Keep up the great work! I am going to have to get me one of these!

So, why the lack of updates? Whats going on with this project, anone recieved their kit? Shipping should have started end of May, but im not sure whats the current plan

Zander?

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back