Masking small intricate areas for painting?

Laspector

Master Member
Need some advice. I am currently working on modifying a TIE Bomber. I'm taping off areas for spray painting, but I can't quite figure out how to mask off some of the intricate areas. See the attached picture. The red arrows point to the areas I am needing to mask off for painting. These are some pretty squirrelly shaped little greeblies. I'm pretty sure I'm not going to be able to tape these off and I can't figure out how to remove them. I was thinking of getting some liquid frisket, but the ones I am finding on Amazon are saying they do not stick to plastic. Not only are these pieces plastic, they are made out of that soft, rubbery plastic that never seems to hold paint. So, I want to leave them the original color, but I've got to cover them in order to paint the grey of the rest of the ship.

Any ideas?

I use Micro-Mask. It is water based, so the water in acrylic paints can theoretically dissolve it, but I have never had an issue using Tamiya or Vallejo paints thinned with their airbrush thinner

I glob it on very thick, often doing a couple of coats to be safe. Peels right off later with very little issue unless I put it on too thin. I got mine at Hobby Lobby, but...

(Edit, sorry just saw you don't want to paint them at all. I'd just mask them roughly then remove any overspray around the base of them with a scalpel/brush & thinners).

You don't need to mask them as such. You need to think about masking order. Always try to make the last colour you spray the hardest one it would be to mask.
For parts like that paint the surface they're on (I assume you're spraying/airbrushing) then mask the surface around them. If they're not the last thing to be sprayed then they can be blanket masked after that with a piece of tape over the whole greeblie.
You don't need micro tape just ordinary masking tape & a scalpel (cut the tape to smaller strips on a cutting mat, cutting tape on the model can lead to paint peeling when demasking).

Last edited:
I would use some silly putty or poster tack for this. Mash it on, use an edged tool to get the straights straight and a toothpick to get it out of the recesses when removing it and Bob's your uncle.

I second the silly putty works. It works well, it sticks to most plastics and won't tear paint off the model. It can be re-used quite a bit too.
I think it contains silicone though, so it'll bond to other silicone surfaces (not that I think the soft plastic you are referring to contains silicone).

I use Micro-Mask. It is water based, so the water in acrylic paints can theoretically dissolve it, but I have never had an issue using Tamiya or Vallejo paints thinned with their airbrush thinner

I glob it on very thick, often doing a couple of coats to be safe. Peels right off later with very little issue unless I put it on too thin. I got mine at Hobby Lobby, but...

I like micro-mask also (you just can't use it with water based paint obviously).

Silly putty is a great idea.
For flat, straight angles scotch tape does surprisingly well (obviously not for your tie bomb though).

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back