Mask Questions regarding Foam-iT polyurethane foam

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

damagecase

I was just wondering if anyone has used Foam-iT foam for foaming the interior of their latex masks? I'm talking mostly to give added support to the crown and the mandibles. Any info would be awesome.

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Fohammer

i have never tried but I probably wouldnt recommend using polyurethane on the inside. I would think it would need to be decently aired out before it would even start to dry. I can only imagine the heavy smell that would also need to air out without having that suffocating smell while wearing it. Unless you applied it to the foam, let it dry, and then inserted it but not sure.

The mask i got from inkmonster was secure by the foam alone. on a different mask it had a with really big head had a similar issue with the dome. It was a 1/1 size homer simpson head mask. I used foam and masking tape to secure the round shape at the top and sides. His head had a semi-permanent dent in it when it was packaged, but didnt have any issues afterwards.

I havent attached my mandibles to my mask yet, but I dont think they would be an issue unless the skin around the mouth was too thin. Maybe some one can share some light on this. Always interested to learn something new.

reaver1

The other issue with spray foam is expansion. The stuff expands some as it dries. It would suck to spray it into your crown, only to have it expand and stretch the latex and cause cracks...

Foam padding is the best thing I've found. Either the egg crate stuff (which is pretty soft, usually) or the foam they sometimes use in mattresses/mattress toppers. it's soft, but firm, and easily cut and shaped.

ptgreek

that stuff is a mess ..not designed for use in flexible materials ..it is a hard insulation foam that needs air to cure ..it will become a gloppy, sticky mess if you spray it in your mask. We use a two part expanding polyfoam to properly foam a mask..but as stated above ...some upholstery foam ..a can of super 77 spray adhesive and a knife will do yo just fine

MasterAnubis

I have some Flex Foam-it III but haven't used it yet, I got it in the trial size.

One thing to keep in mind in the Foam-it is hard foam. The Flex Foam-it is what you would use for such a job. The III doesn't skin over so it may not be the best choise. This is stuff I got to experiment with latex dreads so skinning wouldn't be an issue inside a latex skin.

I know I can't be the only one that has some this stuff.

Reaver, This isn't a spray foam, its a mixed foam thats poured in. Foaming is usually done pre-paint.

damagecase

Has anyone tried using apoxie sculpt in the mandibles? It would be more along the lines of making it into a bust. It doesn't heat up when drying, its not air activated and there is almost zero shrinkage. What do you think? Or would it be too heavy...