Mask making, eyeball question

ERen89

I am prepping for this year's Halloween costume and I am in the works of plotting out my plans for the mask. I will be sculpting it in clay and then casting it in a resin. Does anyone know any clever ways to make eyeballs that you can see through? I am making sort of a ghostly character and one eye is going to be missing, while the other one will be turned, only showing a tiny bit of the iris. So I am trying to determine a way I would be able to see out of the white of the eye ball without cutting open any slits. Is there such a thing as white tint that can be applied to a clear plastic so it appears white on one side and translucent thru the back side? Same with the other eye I suppose. Instead of the white of the eye, I will be finding a way to see through the sculpted eye socket.

Any tips or clever tricks of being able to see through something that you would otherwise not.

Forgive me for my flawless "Paint" drawing. I just wanted to have some sort of visual aid to show what I am talking about. The dotted green circles are where my actual eyes will line up from behind.

Attachments

• eyes.jpg
    eyes.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 93
To give an idea of how my masks have been the past couple years, here are my last two costumes. As you can see I made actual eye holes and used colored contact lenses. This time around I wanted to include the detail of the eyes in the sculpt itself concealing my actual eyes entirely.

Attachments

• 74440429_4061580135059_3471414480997449728_n.jpg
    74440429_4061580135059_3471414480997449728_n.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 91
  • 122801476_4329932203693_1162367572701692709_n.jpg
    122801476_4329932203693_1162367572701692709_n.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 96
For visors, i use clear PETG and tint it with iDye Poly. You could test this prqeqttqy easily and cheaply. Since there is no light source inside the mask you shouldn't need too heavy a tint to obscure your eyes.

For visors, i use clear PETG and tint it with iDye Poly. You could test this prqeqttqy easily and cheaply. Since there is no light source inside the mask you shouldn't need too heavy a tint to obscure your eyes.

Ah thank you. I just experimented by cutting out some thin plastic from a cheap picture frame and heat formed it over a clay sphere I made with a heat gun. I was pretty successful. As for the iDye, this holds well on plastic? A quick Google search shows its aimed for fabric. And do they even offer a white color?

Last edited:
Ah thank you. I just experimented by cutting out some thin plastic from a cheap picture frame and heat formed it over a clay sphere I made with a heat gun. I was pretty successful. As for the iDye, this holds well on plastic? A quick Google search shows its aimed for fabric. And do they even offer a white color?

I would have sworn they made iDye Poly white. But I don't see it now. Sorry. There is ecru which is off white. Would that work?

If you do find it, make sure it's iDye Poly. It's made for dyeing plastics. Works great on polyester fabric and PETG sheets. Regular iDye (or Rite for that matter) won't work.

Your water/dye bath has to be pretty hot for the dye to take. Roughly 140° F. Depending on how deep you want the color, it might take more than one dye packet.

Be prepared to experiment.

I'm also going to try to use a scrim and see how that would look, basically utilizing the same technique and Spiderman or Deadpool eyes.

I would personally use clear plastic and line it with tulle fabric it allows you to see but will block out your eyes or use window screen painted white.
fb2b5267605b788eb1dbff963eaabc29.jpeg

Try Vacu forming or molding over an orb Shape.
Use a thin strip of masking tape as a slit left to right then rattle can/spray it desired colour.
Remove tape and you have a thin panoramic view point of the world but thin enough not to be easily seen..

Try Vacu forming or molding over an orb Shape.
Use a thin strip of masking tape as a slit left to right then rattle can/spray it desired colour.
Remove tape and you have a thin panoramic view point of the world but thin enough not to be easily seen..
I'm going to experiment with this. I got a sheet of plastic I've been heating with my heat gun over a half sphere I made from clay and hardened. So I have plenty of material to work with

I'm going to experiment with this. I got a sheet of plastic I've been heating with my heat gun over a half sphere I made from clay and hardened. So I have plenty of material to work with
Sounds like a plan, looking forward to seeing the finished article..

I have had good results with BarbWires method. I simply used stockings and put them over a clear sphere. Can be a little hard to see through, but for me it worked.

IMG_1552.JPG

vlcsnap-2013-04-16-20h45m30s208.jpg

also used black stockings that had kind of a latex layer on it, what worked pretty good. you can still see through. (sorry for the pad picture)

Foto am 31.05.18 um 11.46 #2 Kopie.jpg

If you want white, maybe you can find a similar material in white.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back