Marvel's What If series

I'm so here for this. I was in when they showed Captain Carter, but Killmonger saving Tony? T'Challa as Star Lord? Man, these just look great. The only potentially weak offering I see so far is Marvel Zombies, but who knows, that may be a pleasant surprise. Literally, Marvel has not let down the side yet as far as I'm concerned, so I have confidence in them telling an interesting story.

That's great. I've always felt like this kind of story telling is one of the best parts of the comic book set up.

Being able to establish the core concept of a character through main stories, then explore other possibilities with swaps or references to the core, without having to reestablish every single element of the characters and the world, and tell new stories and explore new concepts, is really nice.

I feel like that's one of the reasons why a lot of folks enjoy stuff like the SpiderGwen, old man logan, and Spiderverse stuff.

Last edited:
I didn’t mean so much “art style” as in “low-quality Disney XD kid’s show” animation. The designs aren’t bothering me, it’s the movement and rendering. But like you said, different strokes, so I’ll leave my thoughts to what I’ve said and see myself out.

I think it's a wise choice going for a less "100% accurate" animation style. All the characters are recognizable, but they're different enough from their live action MCU counterparts, to aid in the cognitive side step of being in new scenarios.
Seen a lot of comments on Reddit disappointed about how it’s not got the actors for various characters voicing them, and my feeling is like - well yeah, isn’t that a good thing?

It gives Marvel an opportunity to explore different comic arcs and do soft ret-cons/reboots without affecting generally beloved existing characters within the franchise. Same with the art style. Frankly I’d _rather_ they did this - it keeps the franchise fresh.

Seen a lot of comments on Reddit disappointed about how it’s not got the actors for various characters voicing them, and my feeling is like - well yeah, isn’t that a good thing?
Better to spend that budget on the actual show rather than the salary of big name actors.

If they do some of the early What If comics, absolutely. If they do some of the later ones... this could really suck. I'll give it a shot though.

Is there any info on the run times of these? Why do I get the feeling these are going to be 10 or 12 minute episodes? I hope I'm wrong.

It gives Marvel an opportunity to explore different comic arcs and do soft ret-cons/reboots without affecting generally beloved existing characters within the franchise. Same with the art style. Frankly I’d _rather_ they did this - it keeps the franchise fresh.
Yeah, it's a bit disappointing that Tony & Cap have different actors, along with some others like Doctor Strange & Gamora, but I was actually surprised at the HUGE number of actors that did reprise their roles.

It'll also, afaik, will be Chadwick Boseman's final performance.

But... I mean, there are a LOT of the actors reprising their characters here... Sounds like people are just looking for something to complain about here.

Attachments

• What IF.png
    What IF.png
    99.5 KB · Views: 110
But... I mean, there are a LOT of the actors reprising their characters here... Sounds like people are just looking for something to complain about here.
Going by that list, it looks everybody who played a previously established live action character is returning to voice their animated counterpart.

Going by that list, it looks everybody who played a previously established live action character is returning to voice their animated counterpart.
Unless I’m missing someone, every character who is still alive in the MCU canon is being voiced by their live action counterpart.

That probably isn’t important, but it might be…

Edit: never mind, taserface, killmonger and Yondu are there, and Star Lord is Chadwick Boseman. My theory is nonsense.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back