Marvel's The Punisher

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by Thain, Apr 29, 2016.

1. Thain

Thain Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

2. cayman shen

cayman shen Master Member

Beyond psyched!!!

3. Sundowner

Sundowner Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I saw this coming a mile away AND couldn't be more happier!

4. dascoyne

dascoyne Master Member

I hope they can maintain that same character tone that recognizes that Frank, while homicidal, manages not to project instability of emotion or thought. Frank's has an eerie equilibrium with his ethic which has him making unexpected but logical choices throughout DD series 2. I hope they can preserve that.

Solos blaster, Riceball and Thain like this.
  5. Vincent V

Vincent V Member

Super excited about this, but also a little surprised. I really didn't expect them to give him his own show. I definitely agree with dascoyne, here's hoping they are able to stay true to the character we saw in Daredevil.

Father likes this.
  6. Jeyl

Jeyl Master Member

Le sigh. Punisher was wonderful in Dare Devil. Don't get me wrong. It's just... I don't know. We already have our dark brooding white guy vigilante who kills people with guns.

Batman!

:p

7. Vincent V

Vincent V Member

Batman doesn't use guns (okay... except for weird dream sequences/visions for some reason). If they stay true to the character than The Punisher should be a great series, and it will be an interesting contrast to Daredevil in that the Punisher lacks the faith and moral compass that so strongly influence Daredevils actions.

8. B-Movie Zombie

B-Movie Zombie Sr Member

I can't wait for this! Very Happy about the news.

9. Father

Father Sr Member

Not sure how I feel about this.
    Part of me says "Awesome!!!"
    The other part says "He was great as a side character in DD. Can they really pull it off as a full-time series?"

They certainly have decades of source material to draw from. The fan base of the actual comic has been an up and down over the years.
    It's always an interesting character because he does what most/all of the Marvel heroes won't do.... finish the job. The fact that someone like that exists in the Marvel universe and is still considered in some way a hero makes him very interesting.

Riceball likes this.
  10. rileyreplicas

rileyreplicas Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Being a series and not movie I would love for them to cover the first mini series back from the 80's when he was in jail and escaped!

11. dascoyne

dascoyne Master Member

There's a huge difference between the two.

The Punisher doesn't brood.

If he talks about his family or life it's only in the company of a confidant.

Batman broods. He ponders in solitude relentlessly. He ruminates over his transference of fear to bat symbology to comic excess. He deconstructs like a detective and pontificates on existentialism.

The Punisher kills bad people.

Riceball likes this.
  12. Jeyl

Jeyl Master Member

Stop.

"If there's even a one percent chance of him being our enemy we must take it as a absolute certainty."

Geez. The Punisher wishes he could have that kind of mentality.

13. dascoyne

dascoyne Master Member

Batman broods.
    Punisher doesn't.

If you think they're the same character then more power to you - troll on.

14. Jeyl

Jeyl Master Member

This is just making fun of the fact that the theatrical Batman we're now stuck is now a gun carrying, criminal killing vigilante who thinks that bad people should be wiped out with extreme prejudice. Trust me. This isn't me arguing that Batman and the Punisher are the same character. This is me mocking the new Batman for not being more like the Punisher. At least the Punisher doesn't take a 'holier than thou' stance on everything the way Batman does.

Riceball and dascoyne like this.
  15. Lemna

Lemna New Member

I think this would be much better as 4 or 6 episodes mini-seasons to fill in between the "regular" netflix marvel stuff.

I enjoyed him in DD but think it won't work for a whole season. I also think Netflix already has a habit of overcomplicating and doing kinda stupid stuff to stretch the season out to the 12 or so they want to make. I see Punisher stories as fairly straightforward and not needed the fluff.

16. Thain

New trailer! I really wish they'd give us the release date already.

v3cRKK_e_lDVPNcMig1RG_cY3b_76_v1laXN4QDKr_E.jpg ubfev6m2YKBQKhs9n4p7-bBZPZ5G1ahyktGcERaa9W0.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
    B-Movie Zombie and Gimpdiggity like this.
  17. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

Whoa. this is gonna be intense.

Thain likes this.
  18. Bigdaddy

Bigdaddy Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That's going to be cool! Pretty sure I'm going to get a Netflix subscription since they purchased Millarworld.

19. Gimpdiggity

Gimpdiggity Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I was excited for this before that trailer.

Now im fully pumped. That trailer was everything I was hoping for and more. I can't wait!!

Thain likes this.
  20. dascoyne

dascoyne Master Member

Iron Fist and Defenders put a dent in my faith that Marvel/Netflix can't muck it up. It's so easy to make The Punisher a conventional vigilante story only innovative in the creative methods of violence - which is how everyone portrayed him on the big screen. Suddenly he was a heck of a lot more riveting in Daredevil season 2 simply because he was written and acted so well. I don't remember that Punisher for how he killed bad guys. I remember him for the rooftop scene and his exchanges with other characters.

The trailer hasn't convinced me one way or another. It does worry me that it might have been hastily written because of how well he was received in DD. Please don't muck this one up.

21. CJ 617

CJ 617 Sr Member

Loving the look of the trailer!!! Cannot wait for the series...

22. 0neiros

0neiros Master Member

Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

Gimpdiggity likes this.
  23. mattycsi

mattycsi Sr Member

I can't stop watching this trailer, the way they tied the gunshots and reloads into the rhythm of One is so perfect, excellent song choice and very well made. I loved the Punisher in Daredevil, this looks like it won't disappoint.

24. Brent M

Brent M Sr Member

Hell yeah. This is probably my favorite trailer for any movie or TV show this year. Whoever cut it deserves some kind of award! :cool

25. matty matt

matty matt Sr Member

Can't wait for this. CAN'T. WAIT.

26. Mr Mold Maker

Mr Mold Maker Sr Member

BUMP!

Where is all the noise for this folks! Been watching it over the last two days and so far I'm really digging it.. one hell of a show. Beats the brakes off of Iron Flump and Luke Cage.
    Three episodes left for me, back to it!

27. matty matt

matty matt Sr Member

I just started episode 11. It's great. Right behind Daredevil for me. Took me about six months to get through Iron Fist. I'll probably finish this up today.

28. cayman shen

Just finished! I'm very sick of Marvel movies, but I'll watch Daredevil and the Punisher all day. I feel like expanding the conspiracy behind Frank's family dying was a bit contrived, but maybe that's because I forgot how DD ended. JB continues to be born to play this role.

Rupert_Angier likes this.
  29. matty matt

matty matt Sr Member

Alright, I finished it. So good. I wonder how many buckets of blood they went through.

30. Laspector

Laspector Sr Member

I'm only three episodes in but so far definitely the best Marvel/Netflix outing since Daredevil.

B-Movie Zombie likes this.
  31. Chicagovader

Chicagovader Sr Member

I watched the whole series on Friday and as a Long time Punisher fan I loved every minute of it! By far the best show Marvel has done and certainly the best screen adaptation of Frank Castle. Great Story and fantastic cast, my hats off to the crew for this one!

32. Rupert_Angier

Rupert_Angier Sr Member

Watched it all, and loved it. Well, most of it. The parts that I didn't care for was the whole Government conspiracy, which Cayman Shen also mentioned, and the Lewis Wilson angle.

Jon Bernthal IS the Punisher!! Microchip was a bit annoying at times, but I really dug the relationship that they developed, especially at the end of EP 12.

Am I the only one crushing on Karen Page? LOL.

33. cayman shen

You are definitely not alone on that!

34. Laspector

Laspector Sr Member

I finished this up last night, it really was good! The only thing I thought was a weak bit of writing was the ease with which "Pete" got so close to Micro's family. Any way you look at it, Jon Bernthal is a scary looking dude. I can't believe she would just let this homeless looking guy right into her house and just start opening up to him. Okay, and even if she did, once she found out he was Frank, she is just willing to lie to the police about it? She had no idea he was working with her husband or anything else related to the story. All she knows is Frank Castle is, and has been, all over the news as someone who goes around violently killing people.

I guess Billy is going to be Jigsaw now? As one who still has his original first appearance of the Punisher in Spider-man (Oh, I forget the number) I was kind of hoping for The Jackal.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
  35. firesprite

firesprite Master Member

It was kind of out of left field for me, too, but then I looked Jigsaw up and it made sense :):
    Jigsaw.PNG

36. Soulinertia

Soulinertia Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I thought it was a very solid show. I liked it a little more than DD. I'm a big fan of Bernthal and looking forward to the next installment!

Some of those action scenes were so brutal! I'll never look at a sledge hammer the same.

Riceball likes this.
  37. Nth

Nth Well-Known Member

I liked it, I didn't love it, but I liked it more than any of the other film adaptions. I think Ray Stevenson was a better Punisher then Berenthal, but not what I would consider the definitive actor for the character. I hope in season 2 Berenthal loses the Simple Jack haircut as well. Man that bugged me.
    Watching the series finally got me to order the entire Punisher MAX run on Amazon. I've read it before, but have been waiting for all the volumes to be released, or at least have a release date before I ordered physical copies.

38. Thain

I finished it for the second time yesterday. My lord what a show. Awesome and BRUTAL. It's been said many times before, but man is Jon Bernthal a tremendous actor, and born to play Frank Castle. I'd slot this right behind DD s1.

Really enjoyed how they tied in Frank's story with government conspiracies and how they examined veterans adjusting to life after war through various lenses.

The only real issue I noticed was what others have said - how weird it was that Sarah lies to the cops and defends 'Pete' after she finds out he's the murdering psychopath Frank Castle. I got the feeling that she realized the cop who was in her house wasn't actually a cop and was somebody bad, but how would she know not to trust him? And how did she figure out so quickly that there were bad people after Frank?

Love the ending scene. It's so heartbreaking..."First time in my life I don't have a war to fight. And I guess, if I'm gonna be honest... I'm scared."

I really wonder what's next for Frank. He seems to finally be moving on from The Punisher. Maybe he'll try settling down with Karen? I'm guessing that will happen and a really * off Billy Russo will come back to make his life miserable. Excited to see what's next.

Riceball likes this.
  39. Lear60man

Lear60man Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I totally tricked the wife into watching it with me. Ive been on a roll picking good binge TV (GOT, Mindhunter etc) that she went with it. 3 episodes in, she is as hooked as I. Im not a big fan of gore, but he sure knows how to dish it out.

40. cboath

cboath Master Member

Her first warning was the guy inviting himself in to look around and the giveaway was asking about her daughter. How'd he know considering it didn't show him look at a picture or anything - and why would he even care if she were home or not if simply looking for Castle?

Thain and karmajay like this.
  41. Lear60man

Lear60man Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Ok finished it last night. Im a little bummed. I really liked the epic battle when he was fighting with DD. That was what I was expecting from this. Not the touchy feely ending. Im gonna re watch DD to get the ending I wanted.

42. Riceball

Riceball Sr Member

I'm 3 - 4 episodes in so far and I'm liking, for me, it's right up there with Dare Devil. The only thing that I don't like is that the paranoid nutjob in the vet group was wearing an NRA hat and later an NRA shirt, basically a liberal Hollywood writer's stereotype of an NRA member/gun owner. I'm also not overly keen on the whole vet group, I'm not denying that there are vets out that are seriously suffering from PTSD and that there are probably support groups like this out there, but the way they portray feels a bit too much like the classic messed up vet cliche/trope that we've seen in Hollywood since the '60s and the Vietnam war. Those two critiques aside, I'm liking what I'm seeing so far and it's much better than Iron Fist was and I rather enjoyed Iron Fist, as bad as it was.

43. Cephus

Cephus Sr Member

The NRA doesn't publish statistics, but I would assume that a lot of former military vets are probably members or at least support what the NRA does, so whether or not it was a liberal Hollywood jab at the NRA, it's probably accurate. You'll find out by the end why the group is important though, keep watching.

44. maffhewdc

maffhewdc Sr Member

I'm at Ep 7 now and I gotta say, I'm really loving it. Jon Bernthal screaming when he goes on a rampage is just what I needed from the Punisher :lol Way better than Iron Fist, it's a tie for me between this and Jessica Jones but that might change when I finish the whole season.

Riceball likes this.
  45. Riceball

Riceball Sr Member

I think you misundertood what I was saying. My problem with the character wasn't that he was a vet and a member of the NRA, I have 0 problems with that, my problem was portraying as a far right wing conspiracy nut and an NRA member and thus playing into just about every anti-gun stereotype about the NRA and its members.

46. Cephus

Cephus Sr Member

And that's fine, it probably does. So what? It isn't like those people aren't out there, this isn't just making something up out of whole cloth and it certainly doesn't pretend like *ALL* of the vets are crazed killers or anything, in fact, they're almost all played very sympathetically. But there is one guy who is a conspiracy nut and someone else who has mental problems who is led astray. It isn't like the whole group is out there gunning people down in the street. In fact, the group demonstrably helps people. But like I said, you have to watch to the end for that.

47. Riceball

Riceball Sr Member

True, but there was no reason for him to wear NRA gear except to sell the far right conspiracy nut angle because of the stereotype of the NRA & gun owners by extension being basically evil & conspiracy nuts. It's a tired and false stereotype and they could have just as easily sold the character as a conspiracy nut without the addition of the NRA wardrobe and pamphlet.

Lear60man, Thain and Rupert_Angier like this.
  48. Cephus

Cephus Sr Member

And there's no reason for him not to. As I said, I'd assume a huge number of former and present military are also NRA members, they even have a special classification for disbled vets. Why couldn't they just say "all military people are crazy"? Then you'd be complaining that they put him in the military. I think it's getting upset about nothing, but you can do as you wish.

49. maffhewdc

maffhewdc Sr Member

Just finished it. God, I love it. I'm looking forward to a second season.

50. Father

Father Sr Member

Haha. Simple Jack.
    I like Stevenson a lot. I tried to imagine him pulling off some of the depth Bernthal managed. Tough call.
    I didn't like Madoni at all. Her face annoyed me and her personality matched.
    The Wilson kids story was annoying too. Felt like it could have been a character from NCIS.
    Russo was OK. He felt similar to the dick he played in Westworld.
    The CIA creep was good because that guy is great as an u likeable jerk you can't wait to see get beat up.
    Enjoyed the depth of the icro character. The guy was a little annoying but the development of their relationship worked well.

This Punisher felt very different from Daredevil. He was more savage in DD. But both were good.
    Felt like they should have had one last scene with Karen.

Overall it was good.