Marvel Studios' Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings

In the era of MMA, Kung Fu is a really hard sell. I could also complain he doesn't look anything like the comic book character.

But this trailer looks really good. All he needs is the presence and to sell the action with things we haven't seen before. I have hopes for this movie. Marvel, please don't Mulan our Shang-Chi.

Meh, I'm just not getting it

Mortal Kormbat 2021Trailer looks more Marvel than this

Think I'll skip this one

J

What it looks like to me, have a look at the trailer

J
Yeah, I've seen the trailer. It still doesn't answer my question.
Mortal Kombat looks nothing like Marvel and vice versa.
If you prefer the look of Mortal Kombat based on the trailer that's fine and isn't in dispute. It's clarification and elaboration on your perception that one film looks "more like Marvel" than an actual Marvel Studios film featuring Marvel characters.

I used to read Marvel comics as a kid, not everything, just really the big characters, like what we've seen already, Avengers, Spidey, Hulk, Dare-Devil, Iron Man etc

I don't know Shang-Chi, didn't read them, I didn't read Ant-Man or Black Panther, but the trailers pulled me in

I could be totally wrong, but I think this could loose the general audience, the trailer just looks like a general martial arts film

J

I could be totally wrong, but I think this could loose the general audience, the trailer just looks like a general martial arts film

J
You could say the same about Mortal Kombat.

Shang-Chi will be building on the success of over a decade of MCU studios films and has that connection to a wider narrative in-place, Shang-Chi will be expanding that with its eastern sensibilities in the upcoming film.

You've also sort of dodged my earlier question of how Mortal Kombat looks more Marvel than Marvel itself.

You could say the same about Mortal Kombat.

Shang-Chi will be building on the success of over a decade of MCU studios films and has that connection to a wider narrative in-place, Shang-Chi will be expanding that with its eastern sensibilities in the upcoming film.

You've also sort of dodged my earlier question of how Mortal Kombat looks more Marvel than Marvel itself.
Oh for goodness sake man, did you get out of bed on the wrong side this morning?
The new trailer shows very little spectacle, I don’t know what abilities Shang Chi has, apart from what looks like different periods of time & giant lions, this looks like just an action film with no enhanced abilities

In the Mortal Kombat trailer there are characters who have robotic arms, characters that can freeze elements etc

There’s nothing really in the Shank Chi trailer that grabs you as a Marvel Film

I hope you can understand what I am explaining, I find this very unusual that someone would want an explanation to a very simple comment

J

Oh for goodness sake man, did you get out of bed on the wrong side this morning?
The new trailer shows very little spectacle, I don’t know what abilities Shang Chi has, apart from what looks like different periods of time & giant lions, this looks like just an action film with no enhanced abilities

In the Mortal Kombat trailer there are characters who have robotic arms, characters that can freeze elements etc

There’s nothing really in the Shank Chi trailer that grabs you as a Marvel Film

I hope you can understand what I am explaining, I find this very unusual that someone would want an explanation to a very simple comment

J
I'm good thanks I got up to a lovely sunny morning and am pretty happy. Judging by your response it doesn't seem you woke up in the best of moods.
I was just asking. It's called a conversation, you know, one person says something then you respond, that continues until you both come away with a better understanding of someone else's views.
Must have missed the guy with the glowing sword and the energy coming from Shang-Chi's hands when he chops the table in half, or when he slows time to see the water flow past him.
I can see you just want to post an empty comment with no follow up, so in keeping with your attitude I won't bother trying to engage you in discussion again.
Enjoy Mortal Kombat.

I'm a card carrying MARVEL Zombie, & proud of it, but this one has me... not worried, per se, but concerned.

There have been soooo many bad martial arts movies over the years, & several good ones that were let down by bad cg or 'floaty' wire-work.

I'm holding the faith that MARVEL has something different in store, but my pea brain isn't seeing it. I'm sorry to say, but my hope for this movie is more for the lore it'll put in place, & the view of the world as it was during the snap.

I really hope I'm surprised.

WandaVision and The Falcon and The Winter Soldier have proven that Marvel has the capacity to make good live action. Have to judge things based on their own merits though, regardless of what franchise they belong to. I'm not so sure about this one and echo the concerns of others.

Last edited:
WandaVision and The Falcon and The Winter Soldier have proven that Marvel has the capacity to make good live action. Have to judge things based on their own merits though, regardless of what franchise they belong to. I'm not so sure about this one and echo the concerns of others.
So have numerous other films they’ve made over the last 12 years or whatever.

the trailer just looks like a general martial arts film

J

That is actually kind of the brilliance of a lot of the Marvel films. They succeed as genre films that just happen to feature comic book characters.

Guardians is a space opera with Marvel characters. The first one, particularly, would work fine with slight tweaks with a Star Trek style cast.

Winter Soldier is an espionage flick, and it wouldn’t be difficult to see Captain America replaced by James Bond.

Ant-Man is a heist flick. It’s basically Ocean’s 11 with a guy in a shrinking suit.

Those are just a couple examples, but I’ve always felt it’s largely what makes their films so successful, is that you don’t really even have to know anything about the characters to enjoy the movies, because they fit well into the genres they find themselves in.

That is actually kind of the brilliance of a lot of the Marvel films. They succeed as genre films that just happen to feature comic book characters.

Guardians is a space opera with Marvel characters. The first one, particularly, would work fine with slight tweaks with a Star Trek style cast.

Winter Soldier is an espionage flick, and it wouldn’t be difficult to see Captain America replaced by James Bond.

Ant-Man is a heist flick. It’s basically Ocean’s 11 with a guy in a shrinking suit.

Those are just a couple examples, but I’ve always felt it’s largely what makes their films so successful, is that you don’t really even have to know anything about the characters to enjoy the movies, because they fit well into the genres they find themselves in.
Yes, I agree totally,....but this feels different, sorry to be so negative, but I've been hyped with every film they've released so far, seen every one at the cinema since Iron Man 2

J

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back