martial arts films anyone ?

Walrus1703

hey I guess this will be my first post , but I found this site awhile ago while looking into some new ideas for a project of mine but anyway im very excited to meet you all and
maybe make some new friends , Ive allways loved kung fu films ever since I was a little kid so I'm wondering what you all will think of em or if you know any good ones .
Im looking forward to having a good discussion :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Must see martial arts films IMO:
All of Jackie Chan especially Police Story series, Armour of God, Armour of God 2, Big Brawl, Project A, Mr. Canton and Lady Rose (aka Miracles, aka Black Rose), etc.
All Donnie Yen especially Flash Point, Ip Man series etc.
Shaolin Soccer, Kung Fu Hustle
All of Jet Li especially Swordsman 2, Once Upon a Time in China series, etc
films directed by Tsui Hark

start with that

Either they have good action or good story it's been awhile since I've seen a great solid marriage of both..GM
Good Marriage:
Raid, Raid 2
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
Shaolin Soccer
Fearless, Hero, House of Flying Daggers
Ip Man 1 & 2
Yojimno, Sanjuro, Seven Samurai ...
Daredevil (Netflix series)

These are all awesome suggestions . I haven't seen Anything good lately tho besides ip man I guess I'm still kindof looking for that shaw brothers feel that blends action comedy and story so well

Good Marriage:
Raid, Raid 2
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
Shaolin Soccer
Fearless, Hero, House of Flying Daggers
Ip Man 1 & 2
Yojimno, Sanjuro, Seven Samurai ...
Daredevil (Netflix series)
First off I said awhile. Now I've seen Ip Man series, Crouching tiger. The Daredevil really, OK he uses martial arts but I don't know if I would categorize it as "martial arts" great series by the way. Now are we talking about any movie or show that has martial arts on a regular basis. Then there can be quite a list out there and I would definitely recant my earlier statement...GM

Stephen Chow's Kung Fu Hustle and Journey To The West.

Must See's!

These are all awesome suggestions . I haven't seen Anything good lately tho besides ip man I guess I'm still kindof looking for that shaw brothers feel that blends action comedy and story so well

Shaw brothers are awesome. Some of those old school Kung fun where amazing. 80's Sho Kosugi film's were great also...GM

whilst not kung fu I cannot recommend 'kuro obi' (black belt) enough.

it's not your usual hollywood martial arts flick, it's a highly accurate portrayal of traditional karate.

as a practitioner for some years it's wonderful to watch :)

but on the more hollywood side... what about the old van-damme movies? blood sport? kick boxer?

most of the others i'd recommend have already been mentioned (donny yen, jet li, etc..) and of course... the master... bruce lee!

Cannot believe nobody has mentioned Jackie Chans Drunken Master (1978), or any of the Sammo Hung Gui de gui A.K.A. spooky encounters (1980) series comedy kung fu movies. Hopping taoist vampires, what more do you need?

Adding to what already has been mentioned:

-Three Kingdoms: Resurrection of the Dragon (2008)
-Shaolin (2011)
-Choy Lee Fut/Cai Li Fu (2011)
-Xanda (2004 by Tsui Hark)
-Dragons Forever (1988)

I even liked the American Ninja movies :lol
But seriously...any movie with Donnie Yen,Sammo Hung,Yuen Biao,Jackie Chan and Jet Li should be good :thumbsup

I'm going to re-emphasize films of Tsui Hark which have a lot of bizarre "WTF did I just see" moments/effects. Swordsman 2, starring Jet Li, is a nice one and the sequel, The East is Red (which doesn't have Jet Li but is all about the villain). The first Swordsman film is also good but Jet Li isn't in it.

I forgot to mention Andy Lau films. Internal Affairs was remade by Scorcesse as The Departed. A lesser known 1992 film called, Saviour of the Soul, is a favorite of mine - it's a weird a fantasy/sci-fi/comedy/romance that is delightfully and frantically crazy.

Jackie Chan in City Hunter is the adaptation of a Japanese manga. It has a scene where the fight somehow ends up in an arcade and they become Street Fighter characters. Jackie becomes Chun Li and, yes, even does her signature moves.

The raid and its sequel. Iko uwais. Wow. Awesome. Merantau is also fantastic.

The protector and protector 2 from tony jaa. Unbelievable don't worry about the plot here.

Chocolate with girl main star JeeJa Yanin. So cool.

Donnie Yen and Sammo hung in SPL. Great flick.

Love Kung fu movies!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back