martial arts films anyone ?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by Walrus1703, May 23, 2015.

1. Walrus1703

Walrus1703 New Member

hey I guess this will be my first post , but I found this site awhile ago while looking into some new ideas for a project of mine but anyway im very excited to meet you all and
    maybe make some new friends , Ive allways loved kung fu films ever since I was a little kid so I'm wondering what you all will think of em or if you know any good ones .
    Im looking forward to having a good discussion :)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
  2. dascoyne

dascoyne Master Member

Must see martial arts films IMO:
    All of Jackie Chan especially Police Story series, Armour of God, Armour of God 2, Big Brawl, Project A, Mr. Canton and Lady Rose (aka Miracles, aka Black Rose), etc.
    All Donnie Yen especially Flash Point, Ip Man series etc.
    Shaolin Soccer, Kung Fu Hustle
    All of Jet Li especially Swordsman 2, Once Upon a Time in China series, etc
    films directed by Tsui Hark

start with that

DaddyfromNaboo and George like this.
  3. Murdoch

Murdoch Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Either they have good action or good story it's been awhile since I've seen a great solid marriage of both..GM

4. dascoyne

dascoyne Master Member

Good Marriage:
    Raid, Raid 2
    Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
    Shaolin Soccer
    Fearless, Hero, House of Flying Daggers
    Ip Man 1 & 2
    Yojimno, Sanjuro, Seven Samurai ...
    Daredevil (Netflix series)

George likes this.
  5. Walrus1703

Walrus1703 New Member

These are all awesome suggestions . I haven't seen Anything good lately tho besides ip man I guess I'm still kindof looking for that shaw brothers feel that blends action comedy and story so well

6. Murdoch

First off I said awhile. Now I've seen Ip Man series, Crouching tiger. The Daredevil really, OK he uses martial arts but I don't know if I would categorize it as "martial arts" great series by the way. Now are we talking about any movie or show that has martial arts on a regular basis. Then there can be quite a list out there and I would definitely recant my earlier statement...GM

7. Murdoch

I would love to see a 5 Deadly Venoms type of movie. They could've done more with it, but man back then awesome...GM

DAVIDYR1 likes this.
  8. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Stephen Chow's Kung Fu Hustle and Journey To The West.

Must See's!

Riceball likes this.
  9. Murdoch

Shaw brothers are awesome. Some of those old school Kung fun where amazing. 80's Sho Kosugi film's were great also...GM

10. crabra comander

crabra comander Sr Member

Raid 1 and 2 are masterpieces of martial arts.

I can't believe no one mentioned Iron Monkey.

11. MooCriket

MooCriket Master Member

Sacrilege. I can't believe no one mentioned the little Dragon, aka BRUCE LEE. The plot is not always the most interesting, but my God, Bruce is always awesome to watch.

Riceball and George like this.
  12. SuperFLY

SuperFLY Well-Known Member

whilst not kung fu I cannot recommend 'kuro obi' (black belt) enough.

it's not your usual hollywood martial arts flick, it's a highly accurate portrayal of traditional karate.

as a practitioner for some years it's wonderful to watch :)

but on the more hollywood side... what about the old van-damme movies? blood sport? kick boxer?

most of the others i'd recommend have already been mentioned (donny yen, jet li, etc..) and of course... the master... bruce lee!

13. blue2k

blue2k Well-Known Member

Cannot believe nobody has mentioned Jackie Chans Drunken Master (1978), or any of the Sammo Hung Gui de gui A.K.A. spooky encounters (1980) series comedy kung fu movies. Hopping taoist vampires, what more do you need?

14. DaddyfromNaboo

DaddyfromNaboo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Ong Bak series, Midnight detective

15. George

George Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Adding to what already has been mentioned:

-Three Kingdoms: Resurrection of the Dragon (2008)
    -Shaolin (2011)
    -Choy Lee Fut/Cai Li Fu (2011)
    -Xanda (2004 by Tsui Hark)
    -Dragons Forever (1988)

I even liked the American Ninja movies :lol
    But seriously...any movie with Donnie Yen,Sammo Hung,Yuen Biao,Jackie Chan and Jet Li should be good :thumbsup

16. dascoyne

dascoyne Master Member

I'm going to re-emphasize films of Tsui Hark which have a lot of bizarre "WTF did I just see" moments/effects. Swordsman 2, starring Jet Li, is a nice one and the sequel, The East is Red (which doesn't have Jet Li but is all about the villain). The first Swordsman film is also good but Jet Li isn't in it.

I forgot to mention Andy Lau films. Internal Affairs was remade by Scorcesse as The Departed. A lesser known 1992 film called, Saviour of the Soul, is a favorite of mine - it's a weird a fantasy/sci-fi/comedy/romance that is delightfully and frantically crazy.

Jackie Chan in City Hunter is the adaptation of a Japanese manga. It has a scene where the fight somehow ends up in an arcade and they become Street Fighter characters. Jackie becomes Chun Li and, yes, even does her signature moves.

17. portland182

portland182 Active Member

Try 'Fighter' 2007 - the only Danish Kung Fu movie

Jim

18. Stencil

Stencil Well-Known Member

The raid and its sequel. Iko uwais. Wow. Awesome. Merantau is also fantastic.

The protector and protector 2 from tony jaa. Unbelievable don't worry about the plot here.

Chocolate with girl main star JeeJa Yanin. So cool.

Donnie Yen and Sammo hung in SPL. Great flick.

Love Kung fu movies!

Axlotl likes this.
  19. DAVIDYR1

DAVIDYR1 Official Licensee RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I keep telling Steve Wang that he should take the initiative on remaking The Five Deadly Venoms.

David

20. Seabass

Seabass Sr Member

Hah City Hunter is one of my all time favorites, mostly for that Street Fighter scene, but the whole thing is great

21. ultraman

ultraman Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

i would actually love to see quentin tarantino remake the five deadly venoms! :ninja

22. Murdoch

OK then hypothetically speaking, which actor would you all want to play each character? GM
    I would also like to see it streamed over a couple of movies. Say like 1 film per venom, 6th film teacher get poisoned and recruits and trains the final pupil. 7th movie the battle begins...GM

23. Stansfield

Stansfield Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Daggers 8

24. Jamie Ridder

Jamie Ridder Active Member

Watch IP man! all three parts are on netflix. I highly recommend these

- - - Updated - - -

kung fu killer is a fun one too

George likes this.
  25. George

George Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Although it's not a movie,if you can get your hands on a sample,try find National Geographic's Myth and Logic of Shaolin kung fu on dvd.

26. 11B30B4

11B30B4 Well-Known Member

Walrus1703, I am not as much a fan of Kung-fu films as I am of Japanese films; however, I agree with most of the suggestions here. I also suggest the Japanese films:

When I consider Japanese cinema I classify films into three categories:

Epic: (You simply must see these films)
    Ran: 1985- Akira Kurosawa (Kurosawa’s masterpiece, very long and amazing shot re-interpretation of King Lear)
    Seven Samurai: 1956- Akira Kurosawa (set the bar for Samurai films and kick started the post WWII Japanese film industry)
    Yojimbo: 1961- Akira Kurosawa
    The Sword of Doom: 1966- Kihachi Okamoto
    Throne of Blood: 1957- Akira Kurosawa (Kurosawa’s re-interpretation of Macbeth)
    Zatoichi (Shintaro Katsu’s version): 1989- Shintaro Katsu

Very Good:
    Yojimbo: 1961- Akira Kurosawa
    Rashomon: 1950- Akira Kurosawa
    13 Assassins: 2010- Takashi Miike
    The Twilight Samurai: 2002- Yoji Yamada
    Samurai Assassin: 1965- Kihachi Okamoto
    Harakiri: 1964- Masaki Kobayashi
    The 47 Ronin: 1941- Kenji Mizoguchi
    Kagemusha: 1980- Akira Kurosawa
    Rurouni Kenshin: 2012- Keishi Ohtomo (Live action version of Manga and Anime know in the US as Samurai X, there are three films and all of them were fun to watch)
    Samurai Fiction: 1998- Hiroyuki Nakano (not completely serious but fun all the same)

Not completely Japanese but strong ties with the Japanese film industry:
    Shogun: 1980- Jerry London
    The Last Samurai: 2003- Edward Zwick

And lastly, if you want a fantastic Japanese movie that is not martial arts but feels like Band of Brothers and Pearl Harbor rolled into one film, I suggest:

Yamato: 2005- Jun’ya Sato

Well I am sure there are a ton of others here who can add to this list, hope this helps.

George likes this.
  27. Axlotl

Axlotl Master Member

Chocolate was GREAT!

28. Monkey67

Monkey67 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

AMC does Kung Fu / martial art movie every Friday night now

29. SofaKing01

SofaKing01 Master Member

One of the greatest martial arts movies of all times (IMO) is Bruce Lee's Enter the Dragon. It still holds up after 40+ years :)

30. dascoyne

dascoyne Master Member

Mostly classics listed above. Let's look at modern ones, too.

Flash Point is good

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  31. D3adrock

D3adrock Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

No love for Master of the Flying Guillotine? And has anyone mentioned Iron Monkey? And if only for costumes, I highly recommend the documentary A Warriors Journey that comes with the special edition Enter the Dragon because it contains all know original footage of Game of Death (Favorite movie name ever) arranged in a way to make a sort of cobbled together version thats still better than the original in my opinion.

32. 0neiros

0neiros Master Member

I saw as a kid the Bruce Lee movies First run in the theater with my Dad. I love a good "Chop-Soki" movie on a rainy afternoon. One of my all time favorites, blending marital arts with westerns - Red Sun with Charles Bronson and Toshiro Mifune. Fact my Best Friends Father (who lives in Austria) and Toshiro were good friends. and every few years Toshiro wold come to visit, and he and my friends dad would rip across eastern Europe drinking and partying. I would have loved to have been on one of those. Apparently Toshiro could pack the food away in epic proportions.

I thought the recent "The Man with the Iron Fists" was a blast. Russell Crowe just chewed up every scene he was in. Greatest Chop-Soki film title I have ever run across - Duel of the Tough.