Mars attacks / Revenge from Mars pinball Martian prototype

knievel

Maybe a little of topic: no movie prop this time, but a martian prototype.

Got the question from my brother to repaint this model.
He got it when he was an intern at Williams/Bally pinball factory. Only six were casted as models for the experimental pinball 2000 machine. It had a display that made 3D martians appear in the playfield. Here's a video of what I'm talking about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJ48gd0ryDk

The resin was broken and not painted so he repaired it and painted it with what he had laying around.

IMG_4180.JPGIMG_4179.JPGIMG_4178.JPGIMG_4177.JPG

Took me 4,5 hours to get the old paint off. One of the old repairs came loose, making the job a little easier for the hard to reach places.

IMG_4182.JPG

Last edited:
Re: Mars attacks / Revenge from Mars pinball prototype

One of the fingers was missing when he got the model. He made one out of wood. I replaced it with one I made myself. Used plastic that has a melting point at 62 Celcius. It's like playing with candle wax, but it gets hard as plastic.
It's easy to shape with a hobby knife, but hard to smooth with a file or sanding paper. I think it's a plastic with long molecules, so it streches.
Attached it with epoxyglue and a iron nail inside for support.
IMG_4190.JPGIMG_4189.JPGIMG_4188.JPGIMG_4187.JPG

Repaired the arm the same way as the finger.
Also made an oval base to screw it on so it won't fall and break again in the future.
IMG_4197.JPGIMG_4194.JPGIMG_4193.JPGIMG_4192.JPG

Used Citadel chaos black as a primer, so I can work to a lighter color and get some preshading in the hard to reach places.
IMG_4201.JPGIMG_4199.JPGIMG_4198.JPG

Started with dark olive green in my airbrush as a base color. IMG_4208.JPGIMG_4207.JPGIMG_4206.JPG

Mixed some yellow in it to get the green lighter along the way.
Got rid of the eyeball during the process, as I want to replace them. Gonna use these pins to make them pop out. to bad I can't put leds in..
IMG_4214.JPGIMG_4213.JPGIMG_4212.JPGIMG_4211.JPG

Vey cool. What sort of size is this statue?

They had the Attack from Mars pinball machine in the union when I was at the University of Reading in England and I loved that thing - the backglass art was so retro! I have one of the small rubber aliens from inside the game (that I picked up from eBay) in my collection next to my lifesize Mars Attacks martian bust.

Vey cool. What sort of size is this statue?

They had the Attack from Mars pinball machine in the union when I was at the University of Reading in England and I loved that thing - the backglass art was so retro! I have one of the small rubber aliens from inside the game (that I picked up from eBay) in my collection next to my lifesize Mars Attacks martian bust.

It measures 22cm in height, 28cm in width.

My brother and I played pinball all our lives!
His mentor at Williams was Greg Freres, who was art director of some classic pinball machine and did the artwork for revenge from Mars.
My brother's now art director and motion grapic designer for the Hobbit pinball, which will be released this year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p486PH-mFR4

Full circle... sort of! ;^)

Cool piece, I look forward to your finished work.
Regards, Robert

Thx, it's nice to do something different than spaceships.

Yeah, where we used to imagine what would be cool themes for pinball machines, we're now actually making them up and they might come true. He's also art director for a new dutch pinball factory, whom are building a Big Lebowski machine ;-)

lightened the green more (no picture taken), then gave it a green wash.
It gave it nice depth, but it also darkened it to much (picture is actually showing brighter then in real life)
IMG_4216.JPGIMG_4215.JPG

So I mixed up more yellow through the green and airbrushed it again, a lot brighter now, since I know it'll darken afterwords.
IMG_4219.JPGIMG_4218.JPGIMG_4217.JPG

started on the colors today. The yellow breasts are corns that were a practical joke of Greg Freres who did the art for Revenge from Mars. I presume it refers to the corncircles that popped up in the 80's and 90's and were said to be UFO sites.
View attachment 484324View attachment 484325

Attachments

• IMG_4224.JPG
    IMG_4224.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 1,080
  • IMG_4223.JPG
    IMG_4223.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 209
Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back