Suggestion Mark Forums Read button

jkno

Legendary Member
Please could I have a suggestion regarding the main Mark Forums Read button that is on top of the page between Member List and Subscribed Threads? It is an important button, but in my opinion it is right there next to the main forum sections, and if not careful when trying to click Popular Francises for example you could have the forum marked as read unintentionally. Could this Mark Forums Read button by any chance be moved somewhere else? Thank you.

I am up for suggestions on where it could be moved. As we removed all the dropdown menus from the navigation bar submenu (where the Mark Forums Read button resides), there is not really a place to hide it and no matter where we place is along the navigation bar submenu, it is going to be beneath something in the navigation bar.

I am open to suggestions here.

Back down in the footer or where you cannot accidentally click it I guess could be ok. I use Mark Forums Read but only per sections after watching/reading the stuff I'm interested in first, but never use it for the entire forum

I actually love that button to "reset" the list of new posts after my first login each day, going to each sub forum to mark it as read would be really annoying in long terms, at least for people broswing the forum like I do.

What about removing the button to mark everything as read and adding buttons for each sub forum (same funcionality they already have if you visit the sub forum) at the main page next to sub forum links? 07-01-2014 11-33-15.jpg

This would allow people to remove threads from the New Posts list depending on their preferences without of the need of clicking through several pages and at the same time remove the danger of marking everything as read by accident...

Well, that's at least how I would do it :)

I actually love that button to "reset" the list of new posts after my first login each day, going to each sub forum to mark it as read would be really annoying in long terms, at least for people broswing the forum like I do.

What about removing the button to mark everything as read and adding buttons for each sub forum (same funcionality they already have if you visit the sub forum) at the main page next to sub forum links? View attachment 271429

This would allow people to remove threads from the New Posts list depending on their preferences without of the need of clicking through several pages and at the same time remove the danger of marking everything as read by accident...

Well, that's at least how I would do it :)

That is a pretty good suggestion! The only issue is that it still leaves someone like you having to click almost a dozen links instead of a single one, which is tedious at best.

I am thinking we take an earlier suggestion and add the link into the header, close to the settings icon.

Could the button be put somewhere like on other forums? Something like this, still visible but far away from other important links/buttons:

2hpq9w9.jpg

Attachments

• cats.jpg
    cats.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 73
I like the idea of moving it a lot, wherever you guys decide is the best place. It's pretty bad where it is, I accidentally hit it on my phone a lot and then don't know what I've read.

Waaah, I guess in the next (transitional) time there will be a lot of accidential clicking on it from the people used to browse the forum by the "new posts" functionality! :wacko :lol

I too truly dislike this button. Can you just move it over to another forum completely? I have hot this button at least 3 times. I hate it!!!

We have now moved it to the far right... pretty much our only option.

Thanks for that.

I just accidentally pressed it instead of the 'New Posts' button :darnkids:darnkids

:lol

Waaah, I guess in the next (transitional) time there will be a lot of accidential clicking on it from the people used to browse the forum by the "new posts" functionality! :wacko :lol

Yep. One right here.

:darnkids

Maybe you could offer different styles, e.g. one with the button on its old place and one where it is not visible at all? CSS should do the trick and the theme picker is already existant at the bottom of the page...

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back