Mario Box gamecube cover Mk I Updated 4-6-2012

Wes R

Legendary Member
Inspired by VitaminZinc's Mario box build I wanted to make something to cover my Gamecube to save on having to dust it. I plan on doing overs for my other systems that relate to games on them but I thought this is perfect for it.

I bought a bunch of cheap 1/4" plywood at lowe's for under 5.00 a sheet and cut out 4 parts (top, 3 sides) as i'm going to leave the back open unless i can think of a way of making it easily removable. I'm using the same plywood for the "?" marks and i drew up a prototype of the mark but am not sure of it yet. Waiting to get Zinc's opinion of it since he's done this before. I have to pick up some moulding in a week or so unless my dad has some laying around.

I'm only doing these for my disc systems at the moment but might do it for older ones and decorate them with papercraft cutouts. I plan on hiding the power strips for these in some cheap treasure chest style things i found.

DSCN0065.jpg

img217.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Mario Box gamecube cover Mk I

brilliant idea, i need something to put my printer on, this might just be perfect :D (right now its standing on a box...

My printer is standing on a toolbox at the moment lol. I'm going to make normal Mario boxes for my various memory card and gameboy games. Might even do one with fake bricks on it since we have some here.

Looks like it's on the right track. Can't wait to see more done. :D

That'd be a cool idea with fake bricks. I wanna say they sell wallpaper like that if you were wanting to keep it light-weight (not sure how much fake bricks weigh).

The fake bricks wouldn't be bad it you only did one side. Making resin copies of them would work too.
Had a slight brain fart, turns out that the game cube isn't the same dimensions around, it's longer than it is tall, but i'm still making it a cube so it looks right and i can always store memory cards too.

Last edited:

Slight update.
Big box of question marks and other parts. Sanding is going to suck.
DSCN0091.jpg

the sides
DSCN0092.jpg

The various sides. Still no decision on how to do the back. One side is uneven but the moulding will hide it. I made the box taller than needed (so it would be a square and not the odd shape of the gamecube) so I put a chunk of 1" wood against the top and nailed all the parts into it. It was cut a 1/4" smaller than the top on all sides so they fit together well.
DSCN0093.jpg

DSCN0094.jpg

DSCN0095.jpg

DSCN0096.jpg

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back