MANDO STARFIGHTER

GEEK1138

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Wassup guys...so as the title would suggest it is time for another bit of insanity...to build a FULL SIZE replica of the N-1 Naboo Starfighter from The Book of Boba Fett...Mando's sick new ride from episode 5 left me drooling and wanting more. So I figure why not have a go at making one.
The dimensions are 11 metres long by 6.5 metres wide, so quite a challenge. I'm going to approach it as a frame on skin build to get the main hull and wings done and then fibre-glass the shell. The armature will be 2" box steel to form a double spine and weld the legs on to. There may be some 3d printed parts in the engines etc, but most of it will be scratch built and detailed with metal parts

Here's the plan; so I modelled the basic shape with the various cut outs. The first section to build is the main bodyshell which will be made in one piece
N1-2.jpg

Then remove the wings and attach them as bolt on parts after the bodyshell is completed
N1-3.jpg

Then generate all the cross section moulds to form the shape for skinning and glassing
N1-4.jpg

I will 3D model everything anyway, even if it's just for reference. I've made a start on the engine;
N1.jpg
N1-1.jpg

I'm hoping to start this in Spring as soon as I finish off the projects on my bench

Yes yes yes! I'm doing my Hasbo toy conversion of this and I have been staring at reference photos and screencaps to get the proportions and details right. I'm looking forward to you catching things I missed and then stealing your knowledge! :lol: There are a surprising amount of differences between Mando's and the Ep1 version, especially around the cockpit. Keep in mind that there are also some differences between the live action prop and the digital ship in flight. Not many, but some. Good luck!

When I saw your thread, I had to re-read the mention "1:1 scale:oops:o_Oo_O I thought that, with the other fantastic builds you did, the bar had been placed really high...I was wrong:p:whistle: I think Genius comes to mind right now :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Thanks guys, all good stuff...yes this is destined to be displayed outside the museum in Germany and maybe have visitors sit in it for a photo op.

got some modelling done;

The canopy will be framed and skinned as well, with vac-formed screens;
N1-7.jpg

The engine thingies x 4;
N1-6.jpg

And the rear mid engine;
N1-5.jpg

A few more parts modelled;

Turbo engine;
N1-8.jpg

Nose cannon;
N1-9.jpg

Just the cockpit to flesh out and then I will start laser cutting the mould templates. If anyone has any rare pics/productions shots etc that could help with the detailing, I would be extremely grateful

Great renderings once again(y)(y):cool::cool::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy: Are you going to do the vacu-formed cockpits yourself or you're going to farm out those instead?

If anyone has any rare pics/productions shots etc that could help with the detailing, I would be extremely grateful

The screen caps at [ cap-that.com ] > screencap archive show pretty much every angle in good detail. So far, I've been able to find at least a couple good reference shots for whatever part of the ship I need (though I'm working at a much smaller scale than you). It's lucky for us that we get to see the ship as it's torn apart and they are crawling around assembling it. We get to see pieces in their hands that otherwise would just be mounted on a surface.

The screen caps at [ cap-that.com ] > screencap archive show pretty much every angle in good detail. So far, I've been able to find at least a couple good reference shots for whatever part of the ship I need (though I'm working at a much smaller scale than you). It's lucky for us that we get to see the ship as it's torn apart and they are crawling around assembling it. We get to see pieces in their hands that otherwise would just be mounted on a surface.
Thanks hunk a junk...Yep, I have those screen grabs but I was hoping to find some close ups of the engine greeblies/cockpit. If u want any of the files to scale down and print for your build, just let me know.

Great renderings once again(y)(y):cool::cool::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy: Are you going to do the vacu-formed cockpits yourself or you're going to farm out those instead?
Thanks Joberg...I can pick up a clear R2 sized dome easy enough but yeah, I will have to out source the windscreen...my vac-former is nowhere near big enough

A few more parts modelled;

Turbo engine;
View attachment 1550181

Nose cannon;
View attachment 1550183

Just the cockpit to flesh out and then I will start laser cutting the mould templates. If anyone has any rare pics/productions shots etc that could help with the detailing, I would be extremely grateful

I don't have any references of the Mando N-1, but I do have production castings of the Ep1 N-1 maquette if that is of any use.
I did the original sculpt of the N-1 for design development as part of the Art Department on Ep1.
They used my maquette as reference for the CG models, full sized set pieces and pyro models.

Hey Duncanator, that would awesome! I had no idea u were involved in that. Anything that will help me nail down the final shape

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back