Done / Completed Mando Beskar Ingot in METAL - TWO RESERVES LEFT

Seems like it has a lot of small pits / holes not smooth like the one in the middle of the picture below or in the show

also The stamp seems very dark is that just the lighting ?
The pitting is a result of the casting process and a natural part of it due to the thickness of the aluminum. It was described in above and you can see it in the final prototypes. Some castings have more pitting, others less. It can't be controlled from what I've been told by the foundry. (You can cast with less pitting if you do the lost-wax method, but then we're talking several times the cost.) I actually go over all the pits and fill them in with a pigment wash along with the stamps so that they become more visible.

Also... see this screen from the show, with HUGE pits:
1580846275521.png

(I'm guessing those are cast pewter or something.)

The pattern and stamp will look a little different in different lighting, and small variations in tone in the metal affect it too. The (imp symbol) stamps have been getting a little darker in the final copies as I've been going because I actually managed to get the pattern to stay on many of them, which isn't always possible- it's going to vary a bit as , again, I don't have full control because it's not an exact process and I'm doing almost 50 of them. As mentioned above, each one is a hand-finished so they will not be exactly identical and that's part of their charm. These are very "living" pieces in that respect, as opposed to having a flat, perfectly symmetrical machined look that doesn't capture the general feel of the screen prop. This is, as far as I've seen, the only ingot replica out there that actually looks like a metal casting and not a "stale" machined piece. (Note: A lighter stamp can be achieved after final processing with a little sanding or rubbing with steel wool, if desired. Acetone will also remove the pattern from the Imp symbol, but I'd be very careful so that it doesn't get on the rest of the surface.)

The pits in the ingots actually got me more excited from the earlier pictures because (other than being a natural effect of the casting as mentioned above) they really do bring the pieces to life as a tangible artifact/prop, adding to the authenticity of the piece, as opposed to say, a printed prop. Looks great, thanks for the run!

The pits in the ingots actually got me more excited from the earlier pictures because (other than being a natural effect of the casting as mentioned above) they really do bring the pieces to life as a tangible artifact/prop, adding to the authenticity of the piece, as opposed to say, a printed prop. Looks great, thanks for the run!
There you go explaining it better than me, with fewer words no less, haha.

The pitting is a result of the casting process and a natural part of it due to the thickness of the aluminum. It was described in above and you can see it in the final prototypes. Some castings have more pitting, others less. It can't be controlled from what I've been told by the foundry. (You can cast with less pitting if you do the lost-wax method, but then we're talking several times the cost.) I actually go over all the pits and fill them in with a pigment wash along with the stamps so that they become more visible.

Also... see this screen from the show, with HUGE pits:
View attachment 1254066
(I'm guessing those are cast pewter or something.)

The pattern and stamp will look a little different in different lighting, and small variations in tone in the metal affect it too. The (imp symbol) stamps have been getting a little darker in the final copies as I've been going because I actually managed to get the pattern to stay on many of them, which isn't always possible- it's going to vary a bit as , again, I don't have full control because it's not an exact process and I'm doing almost 50 of them. As mentioned above, each one is a hand-finished so they will not be exactly identical and that's part of their charm. These are very "living" pieces in that respect, as opposed to having a flat, perfectly symmetrical machined look that doesn't capture the general feel of the screen prop. This is, as far as I've seen, the only ingot replica out there that actually looks like a metal casting and not a "stale" machined piece. (Note: A lighter stamp can be achieved after final processing with a little sanding or rubbing with steel wool, if desired. Acetone will also remove the pattern from the Imp symbol, but I'd be very careful so that it doesn't get on the rest of the surface.)
thanks for the detailed reply some very fair points made

Hey all. Not much to report today. Spent most of the weekend doing manual touchups and coating the next batch of ingots with many layers of clear lacquer for protection. Hope to start getting those in the mail soon. Haven't heard from the foundry yet, but I also hope to be able to pick up the final batch of castings from them this week!

Mine arrive today in Southern California. It's very impressive. I showed it to a friend who is an Imagineer for Disney and worked on Galaxy's Edge. He loves it too.
Awesome to know, haha. : ) Took a little longer to get there than I expected, but that happens sometimes.

I'm still coating the second batch with layers of clear. Letting each one cure thoroughly between layers, but I think I'm just about happy with them now. (Also stripped a couple more that I wasn't please with.)

Will be picking up the (most likely final) batch today. I can still have more made in the future if needed, but I figure I'll be a bit burned out on making ingots once the third batch is ready!

Picked up what I thought was going to be the last batch of ingots yesterday. Was supposed to get 21, but I had to reject 5 of them because I wasn't happy with the overall quality. So I have 16 fresh new ones to get started on this weekend after I do the final tweaks on the 2nd batch (about 22 copies that I should be able to start packing up on Sunday). So, I'll go get the final five (not a BSG reference!) in a one or two weeks. Glad to start seeing light at the end of the tunnel on this run!

Another 5 shipped on the way to work today. (Check the 1st post.)

Also, point of note: those of you who have 2 copies but paid for them at different times, may not get both simultaneously, because I send them in single units. (Even if you paid for both at the same time, they might arrive a few days apart.) I know this might sound counter-intuitive, but since there are so many ingots to send, I just need to be able to tick them off one-by-one in order of payment to keep it simple! (A logistics mastermind, I am not.)

Cleaned the latest batch this weekend in IPA and acetone, stripped a couple that were "done" because I wasn't happy with the final finish.

Currently trying to gauge how many extras I will have when all are shipped out. If the foundry delivers as planned, I think it'll be around 5 and I doubt I'll keep more than 1-2 myself.

I ordered a deck of cards acrylic display stand to showcase mine. I can flip the display 2 ways and control the height a bit as well.

Attachments

• Beskar Stand 1.jpg
    Beskar Stand 1.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 149
  • Beskar Stand 2.jpg
    Beskar Stand 2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 152
I ordered a deck of cards acrylic display stand to showcase mine. I can flip the display 2 ways and control the height a bit as well.

that works really well!
looks great!

That's an awesome idea!

(And I'm about halfway done with another 12 ingots, with 17 more polished and black-washed.)

Great idea. As someone who does cardistry, I'm disappointed I didn't think of that. I have a ton of these just lying around.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back