Mandalorian Reference Thread

I really like the mattel one for the price point. I do wish it had feet... that's the only thing that disappointed me. Can't wait for my Sideshow though!!!!

The Mattel one is definitely a bit chibi-fied so that it's more of a toy than replica - the head seems slightly larger than it should be, and the ears smaller in relation to it. Its likeness is softer and cuter as part of that mass appeal toy/doll approach, but the feel of the character is still strongly present. I think they really did a great job within the limitations of a $25 toy - it's still the right size to fit into the scout trooper shoulder bag, as well. I'd imagine that price point is also why it's a couple inches short and without feet (the body is essentially a stuffed bag).
View attachment 1329200

I agree that it's a great looking toy. I have one and then I picked up one for my wife after she seemed jealous and then we ordered one for my son's fiance because she loved it. Every time I see one at a store I want to buy another. I've also considered buying one to make into a puppet or put a wire armature inside so he can be easily posed. I plan on Trooping as Din Djarin at some point and will NOT be taking the Sideshow or Hot Toys versions trooping with me because that would be insane, but would probably take one of these.

For those who went the Alumaluster and HVLP gun route, what pressure did you find worked best? I have some experience with a basic airbrush, but picked up a mini spray gun for this project. I know I’ll need to tweak, but am looking for a place to start to avoid wasting too much of this paint (sooo expensive lol). Thanks!

I highly recommend the Iwata LPH50 in .6 if you can swing it. It’s a LVLP Gun and sprays Alumaluster beautifully. I usually shoot around 13psi with it.

PSI will vary based on your particular gun, but if it is an HVLP you probably want something in the 25 psi area. Make sure you are using a .6 or .8. Any bigger and I find it doesn’t really atomize the paint as nice as it should. You can even find a $30 .8 on amazon that works well for a while.

I highly recommend the Iwata LPH50 in .6 if you can swing it. It’s a LVLP Gun and sprays Alumaluster beautifully. I usually shoot around 13psi with it.

PSI will vary based on your particular gun, but if it is an HVLP you probably want something in the 25 psi area. Make sure you are using a .6 or .8. Any bigger and I find it doesn’t really atomize the paint as nice as it should. You can even find a $30 .8 on amazon that works well for a while.

Thank you so much!

The HVLP I picked up was a 1mm, I think. I played around with it on a spare piece using some left over Alclad I had lying around (actually think I was around 20-25 psi there) and the finish came out incredibly dull (despite it’s usual shine on my iwata airbrush). I assume that 1mm played a part. I’ll look into the LPH50!

Thank you so much!

The HVLP I picked up was a 1mm, I think. I played around with it on a spare piece using some left over Alclad I had lying around (actually think I was around 20-25 psi there) and the finish came out incredibly dull (despite it’s usual shine on my iwata airbrush). I assume that 1mm played a part. I’ll look into the LPH50!

Definitely. I find I get the best results with my airbrush as well, and I believe it’s just due to the atomization. The .6 is very very close. Like I said around 13psi, and clamp down the material flow. You want a super fine mist. If you have any questions when you get it please feel free to PM me and we can chat.

Definitely. I find I get the best results with my airbrush as well, and I believe it’s just due to the atomization. The .6 is very very close. Like I said around 13psi, and clamp down the material flow. You want a super fine mist. If you have any questions when you get it please feel free to PM me and we can chat.
I ordered the LPH50. Thanks for the recommendation. And the offer to bug ya is very kind!

Can't remember if it's been pointed out or not, but I was rewatching the show, and noticed this trooper with a repainted Rubies E-11:
zGXqZwU.png

Well, they were all 501st, weren't they? I'm sure you're probably going to find all kinds of discrepancies on the Stormtroopers.

Do the 501st really allow repainted Rubie's blasters? They tend to be pretty poor quality and out of proportion.

I have a Leia blaster that was decent looking after repainting, but I would be scared to death to use it trooping as it is very fragile. It's like it's made from eggshells.

Do the 501st really allow repainted Rubie's blasters? They tend to be pretty poor quality and out of proportion.

I have a Leia blaster that was decent looking after repainting, but I would be scared to death to use it trooping as it is very fragile. It's like it's made from eggshells.
Maybe? I've heard a rumor that they don't have a standard on blasters because they're considered an accessory, and not a necessity to the costume. I know DoopyDoos are also popular with them, and I noticed a converted DoopyDoo blaster among them too.

I had a Repainted Rubies I kinda dolled up a bit, and it's only about an inch or two smaller than a real Sterling, and would certainly be passable on screen.
QmbYFrV.jpg

Maybe? I've heard a rumor that they don't have a standard on blasters because they're considered an accessory, and not a necessity to the costume. I know DoopyDoos are also popular with them, and I noticed a converted DoopyDoo blaster among them too.

I had a Repainted Rubies I kinda dolled up a bit, and it's only about an inch or two smaller than a real Sterling, and would certainly be passable on screen.

That's actually better looking than I thought.

I did a complete scratch build of one a few years back. This is all PVC, Sintra, aluminum and greeblies.

1595876004930.png

I guess it makes sense they don't have a standard on accessories. I found out not too very long ago that the Rebel Legion doesn't even require that the pilots have a helmet, which I thought was seriously wrong.

Maybe? I've heard a rumor that they don't have a standard on blasters because they're considered an accessory, and not a necessity to the costume.

Correct, due to varying legal standings concerning prop replica weapons around the world, weapons are considered optional costume accessories and are not required for 501st approval. If used, they should match the optional standards given in the CRL: Costuming:TK anh stunt - Databank

Many 501st members do use repainted and modified Hasbro and Rubies blasters (I myself use a Hasbro with resin cast accessories) because as the they are light weight for long Trooping events where you will either have to hold or holster your blaster for several hours, if dropped by a child you let hold it for a picture it will be fine, or if it is even stolen out of your holster by an unscrupulous member of the public, you aren't out much.

The 501st members who were in the Episode of the Mandalorian did not know they were going to be on the Mandalorian or in a Star Wars show. They got the request to do an event and when they showed up, they were surprised to find out it was a TV Shoot. Dave and John even discuss this on the one Episode of "Gallery" on Disney+, they kind of sprung it on the members when they got there. Not knowing what the event was for, most of them probably just grabbed their normal kit, including their "Public Friendly" blasters anticipating a normal event, not a TV Shoot..

Last edited:
Correct, due to varying legal standings concerning prop replica weapons around the world, weapons are considered optional costume accessories and are not required for 501st approval. If used, they should match the optional standards given in the CRL: Costuming:TK anh stunt - Databank

Many 501st bummers do use repainted and modified Hasbro and Rubies blasters (I myself use a Hasbro with resin cast accessories) because as the they are light weight for long Trooping events where you will either have to hold or holster your blaster for several hours, if dropped by a child you let hold it for a picture it will be fine, or if it is even stolen out of your holster by an unscrupulous member of the public, you aren't out much.

The 501st members who were in the Episode of the Mandalorian did not know they were going to be on the Mandalorian or in a Star Wars show. They got the request to do an event and when they showed up, they were surprised to find out it was a TV Shoot. Dave and John even discuss this on the one Episode of "Gallery" on Disney+, they kind of sprung it on the members when they got there. Not knowing what the event was for, most of them probably just grabbed their normal kit, including their "Public Friendly" blasters anticipating a normal event, not a TV Shoot..

That makes sense and I had forgotten that being in the show was sprung on them.

Well, they were all 501st, weren't they? I'm sure you're probably going to find all kinds of discrepancies on the Stormtroopers.

Some were cast actors sporting Rogue One armor. The others were 501st, so it was definitely a mix.

And now, the 501st folks can say their armor is screen accurate. :lol:

Sean

Some were cast actors sporting Rogue One armor. The others were 501st, so it was definitely a mix.

And now, the 501st folks can say their armor is screen accurate. :lol:

Sean

No kidding. The armor being different would make sense as all of it would be issued from the Empire at different times and since the Empire had been dissolved, I would assume some kitbashing/repairs would have to happen.

I'm a Mandalorian Merc and I would go insane if I got the chance to be in the Mandalorian in my custom built armor.

Have you guys seen the exclusive Mattel doll at Costco? It looks like the same doll but it comes with the pendant, frog, bowl and knob. In stores it's $20 apparently. It's sold out on their website, listed for $25.

Last edited:
Have you guys seen the exclusive Mattel doll at Costco? It looks like the same doll but it comes with the pendant, frog, bowl and knob. In stores it's $20 apparently. It's sold out on their website, listed for $25.

A buddy of mine picked one up a couple of weeks ago. He said they were selling out all over. He saw one woman in line with something like six of them, so I'm sure they're up on eBay.

Unfortunately the frog, bowl and knob are kind of useless because The Child can't hold any of them. The necklace would be nice, but I picked up the one that was posted in this thread and my Child is wearing it.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back