Mandalorian Nerf rifle

Riceball

Master Member
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet but Nerf is going to be selling their take on Mando's disintegration (sorry, don't know the correct term) rifle, the long, single shot rifle from the first season. I don't know how accurate it is, but it is going to be pretty long at 4' and it might be a good base for some modding to make it more accurate.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet but Nerf is going to be selling their take on Mando's disintegration (sorry, don't know the correct term) rifle, the long, single shot rifle from the first season. I don't know how accurate it is, but it is going to be pretty long at 4' and it might be a good base for some modding to make it more accurate.

Looks like their will be a new version of the rifle without the fancy finishing and collectors box for about half the price.

If it is too short I would think replacing the barrel and the underside tube between the gun base and the fork end with longer ones would probably do the trick to give it a more accurate look.

Looking at the box the Nerf gun is a little over 4 feet, a quick google search shows the prop gun as almost 5 feet, so you would need to add about a foot of new barrel to stretch out the Nerf gun.

The Nerf scope is also too short, so replacing it with a longer one would also help stretch out the look of the rifle.

Last edited:
Looking at the box the Nerf gun is a little over 4 feet, a quick google search shoes the prop gun as almost 5 feet, so you would need to add about a foot of new barrel to stretch out the Nerf gun.

The Nerf scope is also too short, so replacing it with a longer one would also help stretch out the look of the rifle.
You could probably also make up for some of the length if you replaced the stock. Looking at prop images, it looks as if the stock on the actual prop is much longer especially in the neck of the stock. If there is an actual term for that section of the stock, I don’t know it.

Adam Savage has built a very accurate replica and done a ton of research. His full measurement of the rifle is 68" long. The NERF rifle is 50.25"—leaving a sizable 17.75" difference between the two.

I'm currently 3D printing a tuning fork replacement for the end of the barrel for this NERF rifle. Once I've test fit everything, more than happy to post those files here. I'm pretty confident in the accuracy of the model, but I have modified it to (hopefully) still allow it to shoot NERF darts. So, the hole between the fork prongs is larger than the actual prop. The NERF fork is about 11" long, while the new fork I'm printing is about 14.75". Looks way more accurate, will be easier to paint than the soft foam fork that comes on the cheaper NERF version and I'll gain close to 4" in overall length.

I'm also working on plans for a replacement stock. However, this is much more complicated if I still want the gun to work (which I do). The firing mechanism runs back pretty far into the stock, so I'll have to find a way to replicate the internal structure of the NERF stock while extending it and finding a more accurate shape. The 3D models I'm working with also don't include any wood grain like the NERF stock does, which will make painting a replacement a lot more labor intensive. Also, the trigger mechanism on the actual prop fits into the wood stock. It isn't designed that way on the NERF gun, meaning there will be a lot of modification need on the 3D models I have which might exceed my modeling abilities.

Tuning fork first. I'll keep you all posted on my progress and attach files if/when I have a successful print.

Adam Savage had this at 68”… I don’t know enough about this rifle (Ambar? Amban?) to know which parts are too short, but I would guess all of it is scaled down Proportionally so it looks correct at that size.

Pacoallen: do you think the stock and tuning fork will make up the difference? If so, what a great base for making an accurate replica! Nice of you to share your files for modding it.
If the proportions allow for retention of most of the detail parts from this, I’d personally be okay with it no longer functioning as a Nerf gun. Just for accuracy, I would expect changes in the Nerf-functioning parts like the trigger, barrel end, dart loading mechanism, etc.
Still a lot of length to make up with the stock…

Vaderman — the NERF rifle has a lot of differences from the real prop, but there’s also a lot of attention to detail that I think make it a great base for an affordable costume prop. I picked mine up from Amazon for $55 and most of the decent replicas I’ve see are over $1000. I can’t imagine what Adam spent on his between all the various materials (and the fabrication tools needed).

I think the barrel, stock and tuning fork are all short. For now, I’m giving up on replacing the stock as it would require a lot of custom 3D modeling to have it integrate cleanly (even if you don’t care if the gun fires anymore). I think you could probably extend the barrel itself between the box section where the darts are loaded and the scope. Probably relatively easy to achieve with some PVC pipe.

After a bunch of tests, the attached photos are where I got to with the new tuning fork. I think this gives it enough additional length for me and the improved accuracy of the design makes it feel a lot more like the real prop. I had to mess around with the barrel diameter a bit to make it still wide enough for the darts to pass through. I’d say it shoots properly about 50% of the time, but the darts do sometimes hit the inside of the narrower tuning fork barrel or the fork itself. But, I’m satisfied for now.

Attachments

• 59D5BC38-150C-48CF-B3B8-971C9D858BC6.jpeg
    59D5BC38-150C-48CF-B3B8-971C9D858BC6.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 170
  • BFA4A7C9-FDC5-4E71-8303-CC94D35F8CE6.jpeg
    BFA4A7C9-FDC5-4E71-8303-CC94D35F8CE6.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 180
  • 39D5E345-63B5-4A43-855D-7825CD60835B.jpeg
    39D5E345-63B5-4A43-855D-7825CD60835B.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 131
Cool, I will keep an eye out for these on sale… thanks for the details!, looking forward to the additional mods you are doing! that fork a;ready helps it quite a bit.

Vaderman — the NERF rifle has a lot of differences from the real prop, but there’s also a lot of attention to detail that I think make it a great base for an affordable costume prop. I picked mine up from Amazon for $55 and most of the decent replicas I’ve see are over $1000. I can’t imagine what Adam spent on his between all the various materials (and the fabrication tools needed).

I think the barrel, stock and tuning fork are all short. For now, I’m giving up on replacing the stock as it would require a lot of custom 3D modeling to have it integrate cleanly (even if you don’t care if the gun fires anymore). I think you could probably extend the barrel itself between the box section where the darts are loaded and the scope. Probably relatively easy to achieve with some PVC pipe.

After a bunch of tests, the attached photos are where I got to with the new tuning fork. I think this gives it enough additional length for me and the improved accuracy of the design makes it feel a lot more like the real prop. I had to mess around with the barrel diameter a bit to make it still wide enough for the darts to pass through. I’d say it shoots properly about 50% of the time, but the darts do sometimes hit the inside of the narrower tuning fork barrel or the fork itself. But, I’m satisfied for now.
Are you still considering sharing the file? Would love to have it for my build, thanks and great work!

So, here's the (close to) final product. I still have some paint touch up and weathering to do. I put in a metal screw eye to attach to the shoulder strap on the belt. The NERF gun comes with a plastic one, but I think it would likely snap off. I had to move the location slightly because putting the screw eye in where the plastic one is supposed to go interferes with the breach-loading mechanism. Even if you don't care if it still fires, the action on the breach loader is fun and you might still want it to work.

I've also attached the 3D files here. It's broken up into three parts because my printer isn't large enough to print as one piece.

It is still semi-functional as a NERF gun. The darts don't always make it out of the new barrel. I tested a bunch of different diameters and in order to make it as wide as the original NERF barrel it starts to really change the look of the fork.

I'm posting two versions of the 3d files (four files total). The one I printed is in three parts. Files are too big to post directly, but filenames below link to dropbox.

The tuning fork on the fourth file is unaltered except for the barrel section that attaches to the NERF gun barrel. This is more screen accurate, but will not allow the gun to fire.

Attachments

• IMG-0295.jpg
    IMG-0295.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 132
  • IMG-0293.jpg
    IMG-0293.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 126
  • IMG-0290.jpg
    IMG-0290.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 160
  • IMG-0289.jpg
    IMG-0289.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 194
  • tuningfork_sliced_files_still_shoots.png
    tuningfork_sliced_files_still_shoots.png
    804 KB · Views: 124
  • tuning_fork_screen-accurate.stl.png
    tuning_fork_screen-accurate.stl.png
    570.3 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG-0296.jpg
    IMG-0296.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 140
Hey, thanks or sharing your work, that’s great! I’ll be watching for another deal on one of these to mod, that looks surprisingly good, coming from a nerf gun. I am almost done modding a nerf biker scout blaster as well that I am pretty pleased with.

Nice work and thank you for the STL files! I'm going to mod one as well - probably the cheaper $50 version. 2 Questions:

1. Any suggestions on where to get the fork printed at a reasonable price?
2. Any suggestions on what to use to replace the inaccurate scope?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back