Mandalorian Helmet. Please help!

TanskiTannero

I need help figuring out how to paint Mando's helmet from the Mandalorian that I am 3D printing. I have access to an airbrush but I have never held or even used an airbrush. And I have gotten great success with just a can of spray paint. I don't have enough confidence in my abilities with just a normal brush. I have attached a picture to use just so show the paint job and color. I also just found something called C1 metallizer but I have never heard of it before

And while I am on here. I will also need to clear coat it what kind of clear coat should I do? I have heard guitar lacquer was good but I have not done any research into it.

Attachments

• Helmet Painting Reference.jpg
    Helmet Painting Reference.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 259
Last edited:
Without using an airbrush, you are going to be in a world of hurt. I don't think anything that comes out of a rattle will give you the desired effect. Then a lacquer is only going to turn it grey.
You may need some time painting and experimenting.
I've been in this game for almost 30 years building and painting. I wouldn't come anywhere near this project until I had a reliable place to get it chromed.

But that's just me.

get metal mica powder to put in XTC epoxy. 1 part B, 2 parts A and 1 part silver metal mica powder.

Apply multiple ttthhhhiiinnnn coats. Sand, clear coat, realize it won't stop sniper rounds

get metal mica powder to put in XTC epoxy. 1 part B, 2 parts A and 1 part silver metal mica powder.

Apply multiple ttthhhhiiinnnn coats. Sand, clear coat, realize it won't stop sniper rounds

Do you have any pics of a finished product with this method....I have XTC would love to try this on my mando helmet

I used metallic silver rattle can, then rubbed in some graphite, then Aclad Aqua Gloss. Got a nice finish. I did Airbrush the laquer on. 1st time using the airbrush. Get some scrap pieces and play with the brush, It's feels pretty intuitive. Watch some vids, and make sure you set the pressure right.

I used silky PLA for a 3d print, sanded and I am going to apply xtc until support lines go away.

When I get to cleanup on my mando helmet, I have silver I am going to use

Attachments

• 20200127_132910.jpg
    20200127_132910.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 230
  • 20200127_133452.jpg
    20200127_133452.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 216
  • 20200127_133628.jpg
    20200127_133628.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 218
  • 20200127_134140.jpg
    20200127_134140.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 209
  • 20200127_153907.jpg
    20200127_153907.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 244
Not sure on rattle can colours because I will be using some Alclad type paints from the airbrush when I get my helmets delivered but whatever you use needs a high gloss black base to make the dark chrome paint look nice.

As for clear coating - I will be trying a method to lightly coat the chrome paint with aqua gloss clear. This will dull the surface slightly but then hit it with some 2K Clear which should hopefully bring back that wet shiny look.

Is Fine Finish to cover and sand to a smooth finish, prime, air brush with Alcald chrome then rubber with granite... forgot Black Gloss paint finish for a rich dark chrome look...

I ended up using glossy black spray paint, with graphite powder to give it a gunmetal look then I airbrushed on a bottle's worth of clear coat on, which looks a little dark in person but once I put on layers of oil and acrylic paint it kinda lightened it up ( I wasn't going for a crazy accurate) But it looks great on camera and in bright light (like outside) I will post pictures of my helmet when I get the chance and upload it on here

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back