Man of Steel,....retrospective

Jaitea

Master Member
OK....No more Marvel for a while, so I stuck on Man of Steel

...& it's a bloody good movie,...overall

There are a few things wrong wth it, but I think it's really only when Sups & Zod have their big over the top fight that it went a bit daft

A good sequel or follow up would have helped,...but that didn't happen & we've ended up here

I pray DC makes a sequel with the same cast & correct the wrongs that happened after this film

J

I really liked their take on the genesis and Clark becoming Superman. What turned me off it was the excessive shaky cam in the Krypton scenes and the death of Pa Kent.
Other than that, it was a fairly solid movie.
DOJ was also a solid sequel. Let down by too much Batman genesis, at this point, we don't need to see Martha Wayne's pearls hitting any more alley floors. And Jesse Eissenberg as Luther was awful.

I like some of it. A big part was the casting which thought was perfect though the story lost me. It could gave been amazing.

I still maintain that the trailer made for an incredible Superman short film!

I still maintain Superman the movie is just about the best Superhero film to date.
Have you seen Donner's cut of Superman? There's loads more Superman stuff in it, his cut of number 2 is great aswell.

I've seen Donner's cut of Superman 2. But I wasn't aware of an extended cut for the first film! Why am I just learning about this?! Lol Is it the 3hr 8min extended cut?

I've seen Donner's cut of Superman 2. But I wasn't aware of an extended cut for the first film! Why am I just learning about this?! Lol Is it the 3hr 8min extended cut?
There was a blu ray set came out a while back. Had all 4 films and Returns. But had Donner cuts of the first 2. I dare say it was released on your side of the water too. May be available on some other set or disc.

The Donner cut of Sup II is fantastic apart from the turn back time thing at the end,....both films use that

When I saw MOS at the cinema, the end fight was the part that stayed with me, but now re-watching after all this time, the movie is not as bad as I remember

J

What bothered me about the end fight was the city destruction.
In Superman 2, they use the people against him and he takes it away from the city. I know there was some outcry over all that on the net and I wonder whether the Batman response in DOJ was created as an answer to that or if it was always part of the overall arc they planned. But DC don't seem as organised with this as Marvel at all.

The Donner cut of Sup II is fantastic apart from the turn back time thing at the end,....both films use that

That's because it was originally intended as the end for part 2. The Salkinds had it slapped on as the ending to the original, figuring something else could be come up with to resolve the ending of 2. Unfortunately, that became the "amnesia kiss" in Lester's version.

Superman is a tough character to take out of comics or animation. My first comic book was my dad's hardcover Superman anthology covering 1938-1972. I think the CR film was a great mix of camp and serious moments (very difficult balancing act in film) but taking the character into a "realistic" universe like DC's means you have to give a lot more depth to Kal and show consequences for his actions that are much easier to gloss over in films that straddle the line between cartoonish action and human drama the way Donner's films did.
That said I enjoyed MOS, not so much the sequels.

78 Superman all the way but MOS has its place. Still on the odd drinky night i'll watch the "Saving lois, helicopter scene" and it still gets me excited. "Say Jim"....."Excuse Me".... "That's a Bad outFIT......WOWWWW".

"Dont worry miss....ive got you".... "Yu youve got me....WHO'S GOT YOU?"

You can't beat that.

78 Superman all the way but MOS has its place. Still on the odd drinky night i'll watch the "Saving lois, helicopter scene" and it still gets me excited. "Say Jim"....."Excuse Me".... "That's a Bad outFIT......WOWWWW".

"Dont worry miss....ive got you".... "Yu youve got me....WHO'S GOT YOU?"

You can't beat that.
And just before that when he looks at the phone booth. Classic. I still get goosebumps watching it.

But another part of that scene that makes it so good is how he talks to her afterward on the rooftop and reassures her she's going to be okay and that it's still safe to fly. His superhero-ness isn't limited to his superpowers. His humanity is superpowered as well. MOS could've used some of that.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back