Maltz, cho-e-chu!

Felgacarb

Sr Member
That's right, I'm going for "worst thread title ever!"

However, if you are reading this, and actually clicked on that title, you probably already have guessed that this is a build of the Star Trek III: The Search for Spock Klingon communicator.

Like this:

"Torg: Yes Sir. But the bridge seems to be run by computer. It is the only thing speaking."

And these:

This is a complete scratch build, and a very quick one. The entire endeavor took less than a day.

The prop is static, and features no sliding switch or LEDs like later props had. In fact, my build is almost completely solid wood.

So, here we go!

A block of wood- I like pine- it is light, soft, and easy to work with. It tends to ding pretty easily, but for a prop that will be heavily weathered, that isn't a disatvantage.

The basic shape cut out. I didn't have great measurements to work with, but I think I'm pretty close.

Some filing-

Some scroll saw-

Followed by some power sanding... this always gets sawdust everywhere...

The back part:

Plastic details being glued on-

Then, cardboard details-

This paintball tube looks like it could be made into the hemisphere for the end-

Aluminum sheet metal fins-

Getting somewhere!

Painting begins-

Details and weathering:

And here, all done, with an Starfleet comm for comparison:

You'll notice I choose to make some of the detail stripes blue-grey, instead of red-brown. I've seen other builds like that, and I liked the look. I may change to the more accurate for ST:III colors, though...

Speaking of possible upgrades, does anyone know what the heck this is? Is it a found item?

I'd love to be able to get that right....

Thanks for looking!

Yeah, I think the topic's come up before.

I've built a couple of 1/35 Sd Kfz 222s. They're old enough to pop up on a few studio scale models. They're the only studio scale donors I'm at all familiar with :)

That's a real nice result for less than a day's work. Refresh my memory – is that an electric razor part on there?

-MJ

Best thread title more like. I knew precisely what it was for as soon as I saw it. :) Excellent work, especially for just one day!

Ha, that's just about the only Klingon phrase I know. :D Pretty cool build, especially for a quick one day job.

Now make Maltz. ;)

I love this title thread! :) Seeing work like this really is fun and inspiring. I'm new to this site for the most part and I've been consistently impressed with the resourcefulness and ingenuity displayed in projects like this. I really can't wait til the wife and I buy our own home next year so I can have my own nefarious lair (garage) for creating props. I really love this communicator and think you've just outdone yourself on it. Great post! Thanks for sharing!

Thanks, guys!

The hobby store did not have that kit. I may have to order it online.

In the meantime, I did a minor repaint, to look more like the ST:III version, swapped in some thicker aluminum for the fins, and some proper ribbon cable for the microphone grill:

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back