Mal Reynolds Firefly Pistol

Too Much Garlic

Master Member
Just received this today.

Amazing sculpt... small fixer-upper (if it can even be called that...) ... can't wait to get to work on this beauty - top quality and the best in the Verse. Thumbsup

(Oh... pictures taken by seller to convince me to buy - doesn't do this piece justice, not by a long shot... I'll take them down if requested.) :)

Hehe... can't believe how cool it is. :eek

Will post progress pics of my work... and any pointers would be appreciated.

Found his name in another Mal Pistol topic on here, so I guess it is okay to mention his name here as well. It's from our fellow RPFer philippes. Super nice guy and super communication thoughout the whole deal... couldn't be happier and it's a super sculpt too... if you ask me.

<div class='quotetop'>(AnsonJames @ Jul 26 2006, 01:38 PM) [snapback]1288095[/snapback]</div>
I also have one of these - it's cast from an original prop...
[/b]
Got pics to share?

Is yours painted?

Any details and pointers on the paint job of this prop would be appreciated... have looked through RPF, but haven't found much... maybe I'm looking wrong.? :rolleyes

Cheers.

Yep. This is indeed cast from a mold off one of the two firing heroes made for the television series.

And by the way, the two screen-used heroes were sold to the Serenity movie production and converted to Serenity-style guns.

Therefore, the original Firefly hero pistols no longer exist in their TV configuration.

Phil

<div class='quotetop'>(philippes @ Jul 26 2006, 02:11 PM) [snapback]1288105[/snapback]</div>
Yep. This is indeed cast from a mold off one of the two firing heroes made for the television series.
And by the way, the two screen-used heroes were sold to the Serenity movie production and converted to Serenity-style guns.
Therefore, the original Firefly hero pistols no longer exist in their TV configuration.
Phil
[/b]
What are the differences between the tv-show hero and the movie hero pistol?

I also have one of philippe's casts (which I haven't had a chance to work on yet), but I'm hoping to get on that soon.

As far as finished Mal pistols go, Talisen's version is the best one (read: most screen accurate) I've seen so far. He even provides insight as to how he went about painting it...

If mine turns out half that good, I'll be happy.

<div class='quotetop'>(Nexus6 @ Jul 26 2006, 02:20 PM) [snapback]1288112[/snapback]</div>
I also have one of philippe's casts (which I haven't had a chance to work on yet), but I'm hoping to get on that soon.
As far as finished Mal pistols go, Talisen's version is the best one (read: most screen accurate) I've seen so far. He even provides insight as to how he went about painting it...
If mine turns out half that good, I'll be happy.
[/b]
Thanks man, much appreciated. :thumbsup

That definitely is a superb paint-job.

Begun trimming and sanding... man, is this a dream to work with... at this rate I will have it ready for painting within the week... now... only to get the paint I need. Hmm... :)

<div class='quotetop'>(NoHumorMan @ Jul 27 2006, 04:19 PM) [snapback]1289033[/snapback]</div>
Begun trimming and sanding... man, is this a dream to work with... at this rate I will have it ready for painting within the week... now... only to get the paint I need. Hmm... :)
[/b]

I got to play with one of these, too, but I painted mine using different paints. Now, I have to go back, strip it down to the raw resin, and start all over again. Arrgghh. I never should have looked in this forum.. :D
Seriously, there are some really gorgeous examples of these pistols painted up all pretty-like. Here's a link to mine to compare to the rest:
http://www.therpf.com/index.php?showtopic=112763&hl=firefly

I was proud of the way it turned out until I saw Talisen's version....gorram show off. (Joke. ;) )

Hey, I'll admit, I got lucky. The damn thing sat on the workbench for a month, half done cause I wasn't liking the way it was going (esp the grips)

But at least I shared my technique for all to blunder through. :D

<div class='quotetop'>(Talisen @ Aug 1 2006, 03:22 PM) [snapback]1291997[/snapback]</div>
Hey, I'll admit, I got lucky. The damn thing sat on the workbench for a month, half done cause I wasn't liking the way it was going (esp the grips)

But at least I shared my technique for all to blunder through. :D
[/b]

And, starting this weekend, I will attempt to replicate the blunder. And, give all praise (or cursing :) ) to you.

It really is a fantastic looking job.

That's a beautiful cast, and I've long wanted one...but I'm stubbornly holding out for a Mal pistol with a working trigger. :D

<div class='quotetop'>(philippes @ Jul 26 2006, 08:11 AM) [snapback]1288105[/snapback]</div>

Phil
[/b]

I always thought that the reason for new guns in Serenity was that they weren't able to get the license for the original guns. So...why'd they change the design, then? Just to look more "futuristic"?

<div class='quotetop'>(Patattack @ Aug 2 2006, 07:20 AM) [snapback]1292281[/snapback]</div>
That's a beautiful cast, and I've long wanted one...but I'm stubbornly holding out for a Mal pistol with a working trigger. :D
[/b]

I want a shooting version, eventually. :thumbsup

Almost done sanding and filling... now I just need to cut off the safety-knob and reposition it and cut off and replace the thumbscrews. Then it'll be ready for primer and finally... some paint. :thumbsup

<div class='quotetop'>(NoHumorMan @ Aug 2 2006, 10:15 AM) [snapback]1292324[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>(Patattack @ Aug 2 2006, 07:20 AM) [snapback]1292281[/snapback]
[/b]

I want a shooting version, eventually. :thumbsup
[/b][/quote]
I really got off on firerfly.What is the original mal gun based on? I would gladly start scouring the local gun shows for the start on a mal pistol.centaur

It's based on a Taurus 85 revolver, but that doesn't really help you much because the only parts of it visible are the trigger and triggerguard, the rest is 100% custom.

<div class='quotetop'>(dr_slurpee @ Aug 13 2006, 05:24 AM) [snapback]1299294[/snapback]</div>
It's based on a Taurus 85 revolver, but that doesn't really help you much because the only parts of it visible are the trigger and triggerguard, the rest is 100% custom.
[/b]
Yeah, there was a picture of all the parts making up the gun (except the base gun) in the Philippes "Envy" thread, though, only shown from the front. Would have loved to see the pieces from the back as well... oh well.

Such a shame that it is such a pain to cast it in pieces... that would have been cool... yet, also a lot more expensive than the super fine prop I got here in my hands. :)

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back