Mal gun identified - Painting tips?

The screen used Mal's pistol doesn't have a hammer shown. I think you may have seen a Wilco model Mal. Wilco added a visible hammer to his model.

As I'm looking at one right now, I can assure you that is not true. The Wilco does botch the details in that area, but there is no hammer there.

As I'm looking at one right now, I can assure you that is not true. The Wilco does botch the details in that area, but there is no hammer there.

I see a hammer.
mal0321.jpg

All this talk of Mal and hammers.... and all I can think of is a certain line from Dr. Horrible. :lol

I see a hammer.
mal0321.jpg

Yeah...but it was stated very specifically that we are talking about the WILCO MODELS REPLICA, sire - and again, though the overall details in that area of the kit are fudged, there is NO HAMMER ON THE WILCO REPLICA.

On the actual prop/live fire weapon - yeah. On the QMx SERENITY MAL PISTOL - yeah. On the Wilco - No. On the Phillipes cast - no. They're all in the room with me now. I can send photos if you'd like. I don't mean to sound like a dick, and I honestly don't know much about much, but I do know the truth of what my eyes tell me!

Also - nice one, Madcap.

Yeah...but it was stated very specifically that we are talking about the WILCO MODELS REPLICA, sire - and again, though the overall details in that area of the kit are fudged, there is NO HAMMER ON THE WILCO REPLICA.

On the actual prop/live fire weapon - yeah. On the QMx SERENITY MAL PISTOL - yeah. On the Wilco - No. On the Phillipes cast - no. They're all in the room with me now. I can send photos if you'd like. I don't mean to sound like a dick, and I honestly don't know much about much, but I do know the truth of what my eyes tell me!

Nah, I'm good.
I guess I lost track of where this thread was going. Sounded to me like you were saying the one detail the Wilco got right was the lack of hammer.

Maybe I should have quoted Dorian Gray.
The screen used Mal's pistol doesn't have a hammer shown.

Either way, I'm done trying to being helpful now.

Ahhhh...I gotcha'. Just some wires crossed. I was staring at what you wrote like, "Waitaminnit! Am I reading that right? Am I short-bus? Ahhhrgh!"

And E-Wan says he has one with a hammer, and I've got to wonder - is that really a Wilco? 'Cause my first Wilco doesn't have the recess to actually put one there, and my second only has a recess because I ground one in. I know he amended the kit to add a (really awful) safety, and he made a half hearted attempt to craft the cylindrical rear end to the sight, but they were so bad I ground them off and fashioned my own. Even this newer version didn't have the hammer. Interesting...

Yup, bought it directly from Wilco. Here's a pic pennausamike posted in another thread.

malpistolwilco.jpg

I'm referring to the circle-y bit at the back. I'm no gun expert, so I may be getting my terminology wrong, but it looks like the one seen in Bronson's earlier post.

Ahhh...we might be getting "semantic" here, as I never thought of that as the "hammer." But I TOTALLY get why that looks like one - and I feel foolish for not catching on earlier. Very sorry!

On the real prop - the hammer is really deeply concealed, and doesn't sit like that at all.

When I first bought mine, I thought that there would be a cylindrical piece that would run through that to create a more accurate rear sight assembly. One I had better pictures of the real thing, I ground that chunk off, as there's no real corallary to it on the screen used. My other Wilco still has it in place, but that's because I've yet to begin work on it.

From the angle of the photo/grab (from the end of the true first episode) Bronson posted, I can see why that seems like the hammer, but in reality, the hammer sits much lower and deeper inside the brass shell, and is not shaped the way the Wilco model is shaped.

Admittedly, it's in a place where you might find the hammer on a real gun - but when you consider the real gun inside the brass casing, and where its hammer winds up, that's not it. That detail is something added by Wilco, and if you look at actual castings of the guns produced for the show or the film (Phillipes is a cast of an actual Firefly gun, and QMx claims there's is a cast from a Serenity piece - but I feel like one of the experts has debunked that) - the rear end by the sight is the most innacurate part of the Wilco sculpt, and that piece actually doesn't exist. I don't know what it is, though - it's where a hammer might be on the fictional gun that has no basis in reality.

So...we'd refer to it as a hammer, then?
;) :D

But if I were building it, I'd get rid of that entirely. Look to page one of this thread - the first few pics are of models cast from a screen used version. That area is very different on the actual prop...

You can see the round hammer bob with a hole through the center under the round rear sight and Nathans thumb in this pic from the first Official Companion. Page 79.
2241667.jpg

E-Wan, it looks to me like Wilco merged the rear sight and the hammer bob to create that particular weirdness. It would take an 'Arse/Anal' Models version to outdo it for inaccuracy.

On the real prop - the hammer is really deeply concealed, and doesn't sit like that at all.

From the angle of the photo/grab (from the end of the true first episode) Bronson posted, I can see why that seems like the hammer, but in reality, the hammer sits much lower and deeper inside the brass shell, and is not shaped the way the Wilco model is shaped.

Right. Which is why it originally took a pic from the rear of the pistol looking forward to reveal the hammer. Also, there is some debate whether both screen used Hero pistols even HAD a hammer bob on them.

Right, that's what I figured. I remembered you posting the pic with Patience when we were talking about the 47A way back when.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back