Mako Mori Help..

annet52

I'm doing the simple sparring/workout outfit, I have a question, is her tank top black or navy blue, in some pictures it looks Navy Blue and others it looks black. And does anyone know if I can bring a staff into a con, like Dragon Con? The costume is kinda pointless without the stick.
.View attachment Mako_Mori_3.jpg cast_kikuchi.jpgtank top.JPG

Looks like a black top with navy blue pants.

Keep in mind that screen caps will be different from full light publicity and off camera images since they are filtered and processed to have a certain tone.
The director was really heavy into the color pallet for each character so for the beginning of the film she has mainly a blue coloring up until after the drift incident.
However the scene in question is a more amber filtered scene.

Last edited:
In my own experience at Dragon*Con, staffs have been permitted as long as you're not actively fighting with them in common areas. I've copied their weapons policy below :)

1. Dragon Con has a clear *no weapons* policy that will be enforced. All weapons must be non-working and peace bonded. No functioning projectile weapons - including water pistols, silly-string guns, and ping-pong pistols.

Bladed weapons must be cased or sheathed at all times. No clowning around or showing off in the common areas. Any weapon used in an offensive manner will be confiscated and rule #7 enforced. We expect you to use good judgment; with your help, we can continue to allow peace-bonded weapons - thanks!

I got the black tank top, now to figure out how to add white contrast stitching to it, it doesn't look like it would be hard to do. But I asked my usual tailor lady if she could do it and she said she didn't have a serger to make that kind of stitch, a tailor without a serger? maybe I can do a zigzag type stitch? Any seamstresses out there have any suggestions for me?

one more question, I'm planning on wearing this outfit to Dragon Con, since I cannot go barefoot, do you think tan ballet flats would work, or should I go the combat boot route, I'm not sure if I want to buy another pair of black boots since I have about 7 pairs right now, none of which are combat! LOL!

The white stitching looks like the back side (wrong side) of a coverstitch, not serge. You need to find someone with a specialized machine for that, as most 3/4 thread sergers won't do that, and most alterations tailors don't buy that piece of equipment because it doesn't get used a lot. You could have some luck if you just call around to lots of alterations places to ask if they can do coverstitch. There could be one that has bothered to invest in it.

A zigzag will do, but won't look anything like the picture.

You can easily and cheaply get clip in extensions in that colour. Don't paint your hair. It won't look good unless you actually dye it, and then have to live with it until it washes out. Rinko was very likely wearing a wig with blue extensions sewn in.

Tan ballet flats, or flip flops should be fine. You can just take them off when you take photos, or request that the photographer not include your feet in the pictures.

I have a wig, wasn't going to use my real hair LOL! I may go the extension way. Thanks for all of the advice! I really appreciate it!

I think I am done with my version of Mako Mori, might have to do some tweaking of the wig with the blue extensions, I sculpted a belt buckle out of sculpey, my very first sculpt. I did the stitching on the tank top with my serger and sewing machine..I think it will be good enough! I have a friend doing a Jaeger suit and he wants me to hang with him at Dragon Con!! Should be fun!
10394026_10204337547136054_8978259599016888331_n.jpgphoto (37)E.jpg

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back