Making starship window interiors with backlit film

DanielB

Sr Member
Last weekend I did some artwork of the TOS and JJprise corridors in Photoshop to put behind my model's windows so it wasn't just a white void. I wanted to get the sense of something in there.

Kk1vF0y.jpg

ty4PdnO.jpg

First I had simply gone to FedEx Office and had them print my window patterns on transparency.

Today, I used Inkpress Backlight Film. This stuff works much better in that it lets light pass through, but it diffuses it. Also, FedEx Office can only print on laser jet printers, which doesn't work with graphics very well. My Inkjet printer made the graphics much sharper and richer. I absolutely love how this is looking now.

mLnxh4l.jpg

9GGj0MK.jpg

mRJJ0B3.jpg

zqUn6hQ.jpg

iBC1ww3.jpg

bYS7JjP.jpg

It's certainly a more realistic illumination. I've seen some models that look like they've enclosed a sun inside their ship. I understand that the lights have to be bright in order for the model to be filmed, but if it were real, nobody behind the windows would be able to see without wearing welding goggles.

TazMan2000

I love this technique- looks much better than Voyagers forced perspective trans behind the bay windows- those looked stupid unless they were viewed straight on.
This would make a great aftermarket enhancement kit!

That looks awesome! :)

How did you mount it? Did you attach it directly to the inner hull or did you leave a space between the graphics and the hull?

Did you attach the rows separately or did you leave it in one piece, roll it up and attach it?

WOW, those are so cool. Really adds some realism to the model. Funny thing is, I was really never a fan of the TOS Enterprise until R2 released their 1/350. It really brings out the beauty of the design.

That looks awesome! :)

How did you mount it? Did you attach it directly to the inner hull or did you leave a space between the graphics and the hull?

Did you attach the rows separately or did you leave it in one piece, roll it up and attach it?

For this test they are mounted directly inside the hull. For the final build, I might glue them to the clear window inserts. I attached each row separately so they could fit inside the model.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back