Making Skull Props

Aquis Hydro

I'm planning on making some skull props which I hope to cast and sell. Most likely I'll do 1/6 HT scale for now and move on to bigger stuff later.

I've got FIMO clay at the moment, which goes rock-hard in a Kitchen oven. Is this suitable for sculting?
What Casting and Molding materials do you guys recommend? Cheap, but good-quality ones preferably, as I have a very tight budget.

All designs are based on sketches I do in my free-time or found on the Net. If I can get some made, you guys will be the first to get a look in.
Basilisk_Skull.jpg

This Basilisk Skull is an example of my concept sketches, which I'm using for this project.

As usual, all help will be greatly appreciated, thanx.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont know anything about clay but i collect HT's so i will be watching how you get on. Full size possibly, that would be great.

Molding the best material is silicone. This comes in a thick liquid where u mix with a catalyst and it cures and solidify around your model capturing the details.
But molding a skull is a tough one because it has a lot of undercuts. Suggest you go to http://www.smooth-on.com and do some research before you buy anything.

Good Luck

yeah like Uratz says. Smooth-on has a product called dragon skin. it's super stretchy and great for molds that have lots of undercuts.

I've been looking at the Hirst Arts website for info on this subject and the artist there has some very useful tips and stuff. As for "dragonskin", I'll take a look into it as it may be what I need.

Also, I plan to deal with the majority of undercuts by molding the skulls as sprues, which also allows easy customising of poses etc.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back