Making Samurai armor costume.

Making some progress. The haidate are all down up. Need to add the plates. The mempo is almost done. Will post pics soon.

Attachments

• 20190527_134446~2.jpg
    20190527_134446~2.jpg
    953.8 KB · Views: 247
Thanks Funboy1013xx.

I got half the haidate plates attached last night. It took three episodes of Downton to get them on there. Talk about tedious!

I hope to finish it up tonight then maybe a test fit (with pictures). I'm thinking I will probably move on to the kotes (arms) and manchira vest next.

47958284496_78f2345ba5_k.jpg

Sorry, had a stomach bug for a few days. I was able to finish the Haidate. I also finished the right and left Kote and the Manchira Vest.

All that's left is a little finish work on the inside of the menpo (face armor), complete the waraji (sandals), and make the suneate (lower leg armor).

47993252477_ce6654e3d0_k.jpg

47993252402_907d96c44a_k.jpg

I'm not sure if you are aware of this site, but it is the most comprehensive compilation of Samurai armour you can find, I hope it can help you as it did me.
Thank you, Tony's site has been very helpful to me in this build. I am so very thankful that he was so willing and able to share his knowledge with the world through his website and in his published books. May he rest in peace.

are you sewing all the soft part's yourself? the fabric pattern's look great! and also the face plate, did you buy one and add to it or is it your own sculpt? :)

are you sewing all the soft part's yourself? the fabric pattern's look great! and also the face plate, did you buy one and add to it or is it your own sculpt? :)
Thank you.

I bought the face plate on etsy. I painted it and added the whiskers though. I have been making the patterns and sewing the fabric components of the armor myself. The chainmail arms are fabric prints from spoonflower. Decided to go light weight as this is just a costume.

Oops! I'm
Thank you, Tony's site has been very helpful to me in this build. I am so very thankful that he was so willing and able to share his knowledge with the world through his website and in his published books. May he rest in peace.
That's sad news, I didn't realise he passed away - he helped me out so much on a set of armour I did about ten years ago. I didn't realise your post had 6 pages when I sent you that link, so I didn't read that you of course had that link. I'm always a little late to the party it seems. Anyways, your work is absolutely stunning.

Last edited:
Oops! I'm

That's sad news, I didn't realise he passed away - he helped me out so much on a set of armour I did about ten years ago. I didn't realise your post had 6 pages when I sent you that link, so I didn't read that you of course had that link. I'm always a little late to the party it seems. Anyways, your work is absolutely stunning.
Thanks, that's very kind of you. I never met him in person. Wish I had.

Hey Sulla, just wanted to let you know that your armor looks amazing. I've been following since day-1 of the build, as I'm working on putting some together for myself. You're built like me, too (lol) so it's good to know that the armor is gonna look good on me!
Finally joined to ask some questions though - and get updates!

I noticed the hexagons on your manchira - did you really stitch in the armor plates in there? If not, how did you do the crosses for the thicker lacing "dots" in the center of each hex?
Also - how is this stuff working for you when it comes to compound curves? You haven't gotten to your suneate yet, so I'm curious to see how you shape everything to your leg.

Got some more work done on the armor over the weekend. I need to tweak a few things, like adding a tie chords under the Sode and figuring out a better closure system on the side of the Do for taking it on and off. Overall I am pretty happy with it so far.

I think I'll move on to the helmet next.

View attachment 974482
View attachment 974483
View attachment 974484
View attachment 974485
oh god this is too epic, i wish u can teach me :') i really want one, godddd. maybe im gonna start soon, wish me luck :) can u give me some tips?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back