Making plastic less shiny?

SquidMan

Sr Member
Does anyone know of a way to make glossy/reflective plastic look less shiny? I'm specifically interested in making mylar-covered buttons less glossy, but without making them fully matte.

I know that sanding them would get rid of some of the gloss but it would also leave scratches. Is there another way that doesn't noticeably damage the surface?

I know that sanding them would get rid of some of the gloss but it would also leave scratches. Is there another way that doesn't noticeably damage the surface?

Chemicals like Acetone are abrasives, so you can use them to remove shine, but just be careful it doesn't eat the plastic.

Very light sanding with super super fine sandpaper works, but you will need to be light handed and maybe even use small circles to disguise the sand marks s bit.
Also Testor model paints has a de-shinning clear coat that works pretty well on plastics. It really does knock down the shine on plastic and paint.

What sort of matte black paint? And won't the wash darken the color of the surface as well as removing its shine?

The problem I find with this method is that you need to water down the black a lot so that it doesn't darken the coloring. But the more watery it is the more chance it will bead up on the plastic. Most plastic just repels the water.

This is the Testor dull coat that works well
https://www.walmart.com/ip/22056097...75035&wl11=online&wl12=22056097&wl13=&veh=sem

The problem I find with this method is that you need to water down the black a lot so that it doesn't darken the coloring. But the more watery it is the more chance it will bead up on the plastic. Most plastic just repels the water.

This is the Testor dull coat that works well
https://www.walmart.com/ip/22056097...75035&wl11=online&wl12=22056097&wl13=&veh=sem

Thanks, will have to try out this dull coat!

And the issue I have with sanding and dremel wheel polishing is that I'm worried that I'll just leave noticeable marks, I'm looking for a method that leaves the surface perfectly smooth, just less reflective.

761842.jpg

Although I've not tried it, this, or a comparable auto-body rubbing compound would probably give you the results that you are looking for.

I just thought of something that might be an obstacle:

pinbackbutton.jpg

When I dull the gloss of the mylar covering of the buttons, I still want the image underneath it (the design of the button) to remain clearly visible. Will any of these methods that you've all suggested make the plastic "cloudier" and thus make it harder to see the design through it? Or will how clear it is not be impacted by reducing its shine?

The best way to know for sure is to try one. Seeing that the Mylar that you will be using is being placed flush against the design, it is unlikely that you would loose much, if any, detail beneath it. You could even try just some regular household toothpaste for starters.

The best way to know for sure is to try one. Seeing that the Mylar that you will be using is being placed flush against the design, it is unlikely that you would loose much, if any, detail beneath it. You could even try just some regular household toothpaste for starters.

Oh, I'm not worried about losing detail beneath the mylar, I'm worried that the mylar will become cloudy and less see-through, and so the design won't be as clean. But I'll give it a try!

Some of the products, the matte sprays, if you apply too heavy a coat, will turn 'frosty' and semi-opaque.

Be careful.

A coarse plastic polishing compound like Novus #3 perhaps? It should be abrasive enough that it takes the shine back a bit without being so coarse that it leaves marks.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back