Making my own original design spacesuit - Multi-Year Project

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

tomekdersuaaron

For the past years I've been working on designing and fabricating a spacesuit I’m going to use in a project called the Ceres program. I think I must have read everything on this forum involving spacesuits, starting with Ryan Nagata’s Apollo A7L build, so I must thank you for all your knowledge and learnings.
It felt only fair I would make a thread of my own, to hopefully share some insight of what I’ve learned so far.

I want to use this thread to track the progress so this first post might be a long one.
This is where we currently are at:
ceres-program-torso-pants-ecs.jpg

Every gridline is 20cm apart.

But let me backup a bit to show where we started.

The Project
My whole youth was basically shaped by science fiction, I loved both Star Wars and Star Trek and from a young age I had a subscription to a science magazine that would always feature some facts about the universe. One thing that I’ve always noticed that even in these fantastical distant worlds, our own world always seemed to surprise and amaze me more. I’m making this suit with a friend for a project called Ceres program. The goal is to travel the world and photograph all the beautiful and diverse places our planet has to offer through a sci-fi lens from the point of view of astronauts looking for another planet for humanity.

other-world-Tomek-Dersu-Aaron-01.jpg
other-world-Tomek-Dersu-Aaron-02.jpg
other-world-Tomek-Dersu-Aaron-03.jpg
other-world-Tomek-Dersu-Aaron-04.jpg
other-world-Tomek-Dersu-Aaron-05.jpg
other-world-Tomek-Dersu-Aaron-06.jpg
Examples of pictures I've taken on holidays

nasa-apollo-01.jpg
nasa-apollo-02.jpg
nasa-apollo-03.jpg
andrew-struder-space-to-roam.jpg
interstellar.jpg
star-wars-a-new-hope.jpg
Examples of astronauts visiting other worlds

Design overview
The reason I give this backstory is because then you understand our design has to be both aesthetic and functional. It doesn’t have to survive a vacuum, but it does have to be usable on multiple trips.
Design-wise it has to look in line with the current gen NASA EMU, but also distinct enough that it fits our own fiction.
First we started with a rough sketch of all the parts we would have to make.
We decided very early on to start with the pants first, because it seemed to need the least machines to fabricate.
ceres-program-sketches.jpg

Early sketches

Last edited:

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

tomekdersuaaron

Pants
ceres-program-pants.jpg

A few things we decided on for the pants where integrated boots and the joints had to be flexible while under positive pressure. We got our inspiration from these real space suits.

image38.jpg
image26.jpg
image31.jpg
We started sewing each piece as we went, with a rough idea where we wanted to end up. As a base we bought some boots that we modified. Because leaving footprints is a very important part of exploration, we wanted to have a Apollo reminiscent but distinct footprint. In the first sketches you can see two ideas of a honeycomb grid or overlapping stripes.
image15.jpg

image18.jpg
image3.jpg
image23.jpg
image13.jpg
image9.jpg
Underneath the outer layer is a thick layer of foam that is used for costumes. This is to simulate the balloon effect that real spacesuits have. I always hate it when movies have deflated spacesuits. This will make the suit very hot, so to prevent us from overheating we will have to make a cooling garment.

The footprints actually took a long time to make, we first had to make a vacuum former, which I will go into detail on later. Then we made a puck out of foamcore, which worked surprisingly well. We made a mold from the puck and then filled it with polyurethane casting rubber (Shore A 75).
image8.jpg
image33.jpg
image25.jpg
image2.jpg
image11.jpg
2020-05-19 13_57_31-_2020-05-12_ceres-program_progress-flats.psd @ 174% (torso pants, RGB_8) _.png
DSC05701.jpg
_2020-09-07_Ceres_Tomek-Dersu-Aaron_017.jpg
_2020-09-07_Ceres_Tomek-Dersu-Aaron_029.jpg
_2020-09-07_Ceres_Tomek-Dersu-Aaron_023.jpg

Last edited:

tomekdersuaaron

Helmet

This is where I'll post progress on the Helmet.
ceres-program-helmet-render-14.jpg

We just started making some tests for the visor with smaller sheets of plastic. We use a dome shaped bowl as a puck. Below you see a few wrinkled pulls, those are made with thinner (1mm) sheets of HIPEX G Spectar Resin.

_2020-09-07_Ceres_Tomek-Dersu-Aaron_050.jpg
_2020-09-07_Ceres_Tomek-Dersu-Aaron_048.jpg
_2020-09-07_Ceres_Tomek-Dersu-Aaron_047.jpg

Last edited:

tomekdersuaaron

Spacecraft

We chose the classic silhouette reminiscent of the Space Shuttle in the seal for the program. But these 'missions' are on exoplanets far away from earth so for the fiction for program we have to design our own spacecrafts (also because it's fun).

logo.png

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.