Making my first bio

Techuser

This week I decided I wanted a helmet but the ones on sale are kinda expensive, so started making one...
Since I never saw these clays you guys use for sale here, I'm doing a basic shape of glued newspaper and then gonna cover and detail it up in epoxi

img2740z.jpg

img2742n.jpg

img2760r.jpg

img2763jo.jpg

img2766m.jpg

Already ordered 1kg of epoxi, will continue this when it arrives

also I need something to mold upon on the top forehead plate, maybe a balloon

i would suggest you use some cardboard for the dome of the bio. you will get a better shape than if you tried a balloon.

This week I decided I wanted a helmet but the ones on sale are kinda expensive, so started making one...
Since I never saw these clays you guys use for sale here, I'm doing a basic shape of glued newspaper and then gonna cover and detail it up in epoxi

Already ordered 1kg of epoxi, will continue this when it arrives

also I need something to mold upon on the top forehead plate, maybe a balloon

I used a similar process for my bio:

my custom bio in progress

Nice - I can see where you're going with the shape...keep working on it and showing the updates...
I will

Lflank indeed pretty much alike, you even thought of epoxi too haha
but you ended not using?

Today I heard about paperclay, that would be an easy mixture to make, since the epoxi will take at least one week to arrive I think I gonna start a second base shape to try with paperclay, its my first time modelling anything so it will be nice to experiment different materials anyway, if both works I gonna turn them into P1 and P2 bios

Oh wow, Ive never seen this method used before. Good job so far! Keep us all updated an what not, your starting out with a good strong start

I will

Lflank indeed pretty much alike, you even thought of epoxi too haha
but you ended not using?

Today I heard about paperclay, that would be an easy mixture to make, since the epoxi will take at least one week to arrive I think I gonna start a second base shape to try with paperclay, its my first time modelling anything so it will be nice to experiment different materials anyway, if both works I gonna turn them into P1 and P2 bios

I ended up using three layers of paper mache (made with watered-down Elmer's Glue) and then two coats of two-part marine epoxy.

It's light but quite strong. It's probably even weatherproof, though I've not tested it.

I also ended up moving the switch for the lasersights onto the inside rear edge of the mask so it can't be seen.

I ended up using three layers of paper mache (made with watered-down Elmer's Glue) and then two coats of two-part marine epoxy.

For those who might not be familiar with marine epoxy (I live in Florida so we have boat repair shops everywhere here) it's a two-part mix that comes in little cans, sort of like Bondo. It's intended for fixing minor boat damage--it's a lot like Bondo, except I think it is formulated to be more UV-resistant than Bondo.

Around here, you can find it in any hardware store, or probably even a WalMart.

Nice work Techuser! I started paper maché-ing my helmet last week and used a balloon and a half mask on the lower part.

Lflandk - I like your post about I thought about marine epoxy, I've using magic sculpt or plumber epoxy but it's nice to know there's different kinds of it out there as options.

Gigi have you posted your paper mache one?

My epoxi arrived and its nothing close to what I expected, looks like the spawn of satan mixed with the ******* son of plaster and chewing gum. It looks too moisty and sticks everywhere, you cant model a ball with it on your hand, its hard even to mix it, my hand started hurting in half of the lower part
I dont know if I gonna stick to it or do the rest in paperclay, or start a new one only in paperclay

img2782b.jpg

img2783v.jpg

img2787i.jpg

No, I haven't posted anything...because I'm intimidated by all the awesome stuff! After building my base I decided I wanted to do more of a Chopper style so I've been chopping up what I started and just started adding the epoxy putty (magic sculpt). I'm going with Chopper is because I'm a pirate and I like skulls :)

Half mask and balloon paper maché bases, both had to be trimmed
PA030059.jpg

Masked them and put them together
PA030124.jpg

Paper Maché-ed, then later decided to cut it up and change the style
PA050125.jpg

Epoxy resin, same stuff as plumber's expoxy, 2 hour working time, can use water to soften dries in 24 hours, have to mix two parts equally.
PA050138.jpg

In progress
PA050139.jpg

Oh yeah, my balloon blew into the mud during a storm while drying so you see some of that on the first pic.

lol

Gigi I think yours will be better if you strech the eye holes more horizontally

I've put some newspaper on water today, tomorrow its going to the blender and then I'll try mixing the paper mass with the poxi to see if it gets more clay-like, cant work with this thing the way it is
I tried to see how hard it was to sand it in shape and it ended looking like a bio corroded by alien blood :)

img1511fz.jpg

Looking good dude! I have never before seen epoxy like that, all the stuff I've ever used was clear. The stuff you're using looks more like fiberglass. Keep it up and I'm sure it will turn out good.

Thanks for the feed back, I need to pick up a utility knife mine went missing so I've been cutting with blades and it's pretty hard to cut without a holder.

Todays update
I mixed newspaper polp with the epoxi and it still sticks to everything and rips my gloves, but now at least I can model it, its paperpoxiclay :mad:

damn thing is weighting a lot

img2808y.jpg

img2810.jpg

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back