making latex foam rubber

foam latex is a complicated method ..many FX supply places carry the kits ( not cheap BTW) but its not really the price or the availability that is the issue. Have you ever worked with it before? do you have a positive and negative core mold? ..Is your oven big enough to house something the size of a human body and slowly cook something that will smell akin to cat piss for up to 5 hours? Foam latex is an organic material that at times has a mind of its own ..it is very sensitive to environment and its mix must be precision and quickly poured. If you are staring at anything I am writing with a blank expression, its alright ...The process of making something in foam latex is a learned skill. In the meantime check out plain old slip latex ..and check out the Mr I tutorial for making your skin ..such a fantastic and economical method for making a skin with out a sculpt or mold

foam latex is a complicated method ..many FX supply places carry the kits ( not cheap BTW) but its not really the price or the availability that is the issue. Have you ever worked with it before? do you have a positive and negative core mold? ..Is your oven big enough to house something the size of a human body and slowly cook something that will smell akin to cat piss for up to 5 hours? Foam latex is an organic material that at times has a mind of its own ..it is very sensitive to environment and its mix must be precision and quickly poured. If you are staring at anything I am writing with a blank expression, its alright ...The process of making something in foam latex is a learned skill. In the meantime check out plain old slip latex ..and check out the Mr I tutorial for making your skin ..such a fantastic and economical method for making a skin with out a sculpt or mold

its sounds like its more expensive than just buying it

are we talking about the same thing? There is a big difference between slip ( or mask) latex and Foam Latex. Foam latex is used to make prosthetics and items that need to move like real skin. Slip latex is like what Halloween masks are made of.

Dude, unless you have an industrial sized oven, you are looking at the wrong stuff. As ptgreek has said, it needs to be baked for several hours, and you can't just use your regular home oven for it, as it will contaminate any food that goes in after it. You need regular latex, which will cure just sitting in the mold.

Yes, no one on here uses foam latex for the body skins. Quite apart from the difficulties in using it in the first place, it also breaks down a lot faster than regular latex. The Hobbit feet in Lord of the Rings were foam latex, and were worn for one day then thrown away.

I'm sure other people who make the skins will be able to point you in the right direction for which kind of latex works best. As an aside, this should probably be in the materials section rather than the buy/sell...

Yes, no one on here uses foam latex for the body skins. Quite apart from the difficulties in using it in the first place, it also breaks down a lot faster than regular latex. The Hobbit feet in Lord of the Rings were foam latex, and were worn for one day then thrown away.

I'm sure other people who make the skins will be able to point you in the right direction for which kind of latex works best. As an aside, this should probably be in the materials section rather than the buy/sell...

thanks i mite have badly **** up.

you bought it already? why did you ask if you bought it already ...the guys at monstermakers are pretty nice ..please call them and explain your mistake ..tell them you are a novice and are looking for slip latex..or mask latex

now i have a NON- LATEX mask that has been used foe the last five years (foam latex) and it has held up through time.

doesn't mean that they all aren't right, just saying that if you do want a foam latex suit that you should consider your build first....

I wouldn't even imagine making a full-size suit out of foam latex. Maybe a mask or a smaller prop (but even that requires a lot of know-how). Like ptgreek said, Mr. I's method's pretty cool. The base is just the store-bought costume with latex and texturing done over it. Less gunk to worry about :p.

ya positive and negative molds are something ya can't **** with unless you know how, but still, the original pred suits (at least from P2 ) were made from this material, which is probably partly why they disposed of them promptly after, they wouldn't hold up, but as you can see, (from a recent ebay auction) they do, IMO hold up damn good enough anyways.... **** it how long you think you gonna where that pred suit?, wear it for a year or two and retire it, string it up and display it for your kids to see.... i don't care what yall say, foam latex works.... :p

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back