Making Dreads Question?

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

avpfan7662

I'm working on two full Predator statue pieces for my studio. The Exile and Alien-Hunter...anyways I like making everything from scratch myself so what I'm geting at is I need to make dreads for my builds...I buy a lot of produsts from smooth-on and wondered what foam latex you guys, or the studio's use to create the best looking dreads there is..........

Let me know if you can...Thanks Randy

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Double H

I thought that the dreads where made from a 2 part soft foam polyurethane mixture but don't hold me to that.

hez1

The thread that HH linked to has a pretty good description in post 9, although you don't need to dip the dreads in latex. The foam by itself will be fine, and is what was used on the movies. They are a 2 part polyurethane foam (also known as cold foam, because it doesn't need to be baked, like foam latex), in a 3lb density. The stuff from smooth on will work, but I found it much too tempermental for producing batches of dreads. If you were only doing 2 sets it would probably be fine, but you'll still get a bunch of rejects.

The moulds can be silicone, and that way you should be able to keep the seam lines to a minimum, but again, the moulds won't last forever that way. Long enough for a couple of sets from a single mould though.