Making an Arkham City Robin costume

Discussion in 'DC Costumes and Props' started by Gavymac, May 12, 2012.

1. Gavymac

Gavymac Member

Hi guys I'm new on here and i wanted to show you my utility belt for robin that i started. Its not the exact same one from arkham city but i still think it will be cool and functional.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is where i got the inspiration for the belt!!

How To Make A Batman Utility Belt (Easiest Way) - YouTube

2. jerladd

jerladd New Member

Looking forward to seeing how this turns out. I was considering going as him to DCon but chose Hawkeye and Riddick instead.

3. Vinchenzo96

Vinchenzo96 New Member

Thats a really good idea, i didnt think of that:thumbsup Its looking good. I'm hopefully going to be starting my own Arkham City Robin costume soon

4. Gavymac

Gavymac Member

Here is an update for the Robin costume im working on. Ive decided to take some inspiration from Arkham City robin, but i will be doing my own spin on it.

Here is the completed belt:

[​IMG][​IMG]

And here is the design on the Gauntlets that im going to do:

The Orange lines are where the straps will go, but on the back side. and the black shaded parts will all be indented so that the shapes in the middle are raised.

5. Gavymac

Gavymac Member

Update: Added the straps to the gauntlets and traced out the "raised" parts of the gauntlets. Also these are the gloves im going to use. something a little different, im going to attach some kind of fabric to them for under the gauntlets.

6. Gavymac

Gavymac Member

Another small update: Gauntlets ready to paint!

I added raised detail on the gauntlets, im thinking about painting the bottom layer black and the top raised parts dark green. what do you guys think?

7. Eric Sigh

Eric Sigh Member

Haha, I used that same idea for making my belt.
    Unfortunately though, I found out the hard way that if you spray paint a thick enough layer on the back of the pieces, the super glue will just stick to the paint and everything will fall off (I'm really new to costuming).

Gauntlets and the belt look great, can't wait to see how this turns out.

8. Gavymac

Gavymac Member

Thanks dude!! I really appreciate it! im going to plasti dip the gauntlets then paint over them. Im thinking of doing the dark gray pieces black, and then the light gray pieces a dark green color.

9. theavengers2012

theavengers2012 Member

im doing that type of belt too so i just need to know where i get that stuff

10. Sundowner

Sundowner Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looks like you're off to a great start! :thumbsup

11. spydrwebz

spydrwebz Well-Known Member

Fixed that belt for ya :)

[​IMG]

12. Gavymac

Gavymac Member

Thats awesome! i like the logo in the circle!

I got the little containers at the grocery store. the tall ones are mentos gum plastic containers, and the other ones are q-tip travel size containers. then i just painted them with a gold metallic spray paint.

13. BlackDemon

BlackDemon New Member

Looks good

14. Gavymac

Gavymac Member

Plasti dip away! I have about 3 coats of plasti dip on my gauntlets they are looking pretty good i think. They are still a little wet in the pics.

The next thing im going to start working on is the armored "tunic" i bought some jersey material at hancock fabrics here in sioux falls, South Dakota.

15. Gavymac

Gavymac Member

Here is a photoshop mock up of what im going to do with the gauntlets after another coat or two of plasti dip.

16. spydrwebz

Looking good

17. Hunter13Zero

Hunter13Zero New Member

18. sesl

sesl Active Member

That's looking pretty sweet man! Can't wait to see it. :)

19. Gavymac

Gavymac Member

Here is a small update. I have sketched out what i want my robin shirt to look like. and i started making the pattern for the pads that i will sew in to the shirt. I have also attached pics of the padding that i got my inspiration from.

20. MercyFlush

MercyFlush Well-Known Member

That armor is waaaay better than man. Nice!

21. KidHaru

KidHaru Member

Very cool! Can't wait to see how this progresses.

22. Shades

Shades Well-Known Member

23. jasonsshin

jasonsshin Active Member

Can't wait to it complete!

24. Gavymac

Gavymac Member

Another quick update!! :) I spray painted the gauntlets green, after they dry i will go back over the "unraised" parts with some black acrylic paint and then put a good gloss sealant over all of it. Since i have never made a shirt before, i figured i would start with some scrap fleece (the only extra fabric i had laying around) and try it out first and position everything on it and so forth so it can start to take shape. then ill do that same thing with my good fabric. I also started to cut out the foam armor pieces.

Thanks for all the support with this project! You guys make me want to bust this out faster everyday! and thanks for tips, pictures, links and words of encouragement! Everyone on here is AMAZING!!!

25. spydrwebz

Those gauntlets look AMAZING! and the rest of the build is coming together nicely

26. Wanted

Wanted New Member

Good Looking gauntlets. What type of weapon do u plan on making with the costume?

27. Gavymac

Gavymac Member

Another small update!! got one of the gauntlets how i want it to look. grabbed a starter red athletic shirt from wal mart for like 6 bucks, i liked that patterning on it and i figured if i mess anything up, then im only out 6 bucks.

I think my plan for the armor is going to be getting an under armor type black long sleeve shirt, then hot glue the foam armor pieces into place on it, then sew the armor pieces into the top red shirt. hopefully it all works out ok. lol i have an old blue under armor long sleeve on in the picture.

I dont believe im going to do any weapons for my costume just yet.

thanks for all the support!

28. Reno

Reno New Member

So far so great!!

29. Gavymac

Gavymac Member

here is the outfit, without the armor sewn in.

What's left is....

- Cape/hood
    - Boots
    - Shin Armor (probably will match the gauntlets some)
    - Mask
    - Armor sewn in
    - The R for Robin

30. WollstoneCrafts

WollstoneCrafts New Member

fantastically done. my favorite still has to be the utility belt. its very cost efficient and looks very nice.
    your glove/armor work is very cool. well done
    hope to see a full pic when its finished : D

31. Gavymac

Gavymac Member

Thanks man that means a lot!!! Ya im a pretty big fan of the utility belt too! im excited to work on the rest and get it done and show everyone!!

32. Gavymac

Gavymac Member

Update time....

So i started attaching the "armor" to an undershirt. Only temporarily to see how it looks underneath the black compression shirt and then with the red shirt over top. I though it looks pretty good. I also made a test cape. here are some photos of it with and without some photo shop to make it black and yellow. I did made the test cape out of an old bed sheet.

My mask should be coming soon, i ordered one from Reevz FX! This guy is amazing!!! if you havent check out his work... DO IT! Reevz666 he is very reasonably priced i think. im going to do the nightwing mask instead of the classic robin domino mask. I think reevz nightwing mask is more intimidating!

also on a side note... My family and i have decided to go to halloween as a bat family!! my wife is going to be Batgirl (the stephine brown version) my 3 year old son is going to be batman, my 16 month old son will be the riddler, and im obviously going to be robin. ill post some pictures of the progress on all of there suits when we get some pictures taken. :)

33. BatmanMike

BatmanMike New Member

Where did you find the square Tupperware holders for the belt?!! I want these for my belt!!

34. Gavymac

Gavymac Member

The containers are travel size q-tip containers. i got them at walmart and my local grocery store. for the longer tubes i used mento gum containers.

35. Gavymac

Gavymac Member

It is update time once again!! :) i got my mask in from reevz fx!! cut out my pieces for my cape, got the shin gaurds cut out. Now they just have to get glued on, painted, straps put on and formed with the heat gun.

36. Gavymac

Gavymac Member

Quick update: Got my cape with the hood done. working on making my robin emblem, got it cut out of fun foam.

37. Gavymac

Gavymac Member

ok guys here we go! I have finished my robin suit!! let me know what you guys think! :)

38. martcpl705

martcpl705 Well-Known Member

Love the build, the gauntlets were awesome

39. TB1181

TB1181 New Member

Love it! I had considered making this costume myself but I really wasn't sure I loved the character enough to devote the time/money. But you did it so well I can live vicariously. Great job!

40. Gavymac

Gavymac Member

thanks guys i had a great time making it! i will be posting some family pics in the next few days. we are all batman characters. here is the link where i will be posting the pics! :)