Making a printed picture look like an oil painting

kalkamel

Master Member
Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone here knows how to make a printed picture look like an oil painting. I remember reading somewhere that one method is to coat it with egg white and let it dry... not sure I wanna try that. Anyone got a better idea?

There is a way to glue a print to a canvas so that all the detail from the canvas comes through on the print. If you could some how add brush detail to the canvas beforehand, then it would really look like an oil painting. I think the technique requires the use of a heat source. Perhaps a heat gun would work. You definitely wouldn't want to leave it in one place long.

A giclee printer is an inkjet printer with 6-12 pigment based inks. They can be printed onto special canvas material. Special considerations need to be made such as "tooth" size of the canvas, finish type, and whether the canvas needs to be treated for the pigments to adhere. All the major inkjet manufacturers make them.

There are also PRINTERS that print in oil.
expensive but amazing.

You can control depth of paint etc.

8 x 10's are usually around $100

Enjoy.
Tom

Originally posted by kalkamel@Mar 30 2006, 06:50 AM
No... what I meant was make it look and feel like an oil painting... i.e. when you touch it the surface is uneven.
[snapback]1216052[/snapback]​

look up "acrylic gel medum"

I used to use it all the time, it's a clear gel that you brush on, when you do so you just follow the lines of the image as if you actually painted them on. This adds depth to the picture but is still clear so that the image beneath is visable.

Other than that you can use use clear varnish in the same way for a ligher texture effect.

I advise doing a lot of testing before commiting to the final piece you intend to modify.

M

Egg white works really well to make something look shiny -- but I don't know if you would use it to make something look like a painting.

Mod podge looks good -- you can slightly texturize it with a stiffer brush once it starts to set, and it dries clear.

go to an arts and crafts store...like Michaels or Garden Ridge. Pick up something called Modge Podge. It comes in several different finishes depending on what you want your finished piece to look like.

It goes on sort of a semi-translucent white and dries perfectly clear. It is viscous enought to allow you to create brush strokes and texture on the surface of the print. i have used in on many full poster sized prints and it looks amazing...

a bit of advice......get something small to practice your strokes and technique on first. your first efforst will likely be trash. do not touch your indended target with this stuff until you can perfect it on something useless first.

good luck..

Originally posted by obee1@Mar 30 2006, 09:58 AM
go to an arts and crafts store...like Michaels or Garden Ridge.  Pick up something called Modge Podge.  It comes in several different finishes depending on what you want your finished piece to look like.

It goes on sort of a semi-translucent white and dries perfectly clear.  It is viscous enought to allow you to create brush strokes and texture on the surface of the print.  i have used in on many full poster sized prints and it looks amazing...

a bit of advice......get something small to practice your strokes and technique on first.  your first efforst will likely be trash.  do not touch your indended target with this stuff until you can perfect it on something useless first.

good luck..
[snapback]1216088[/snapback]​

I haven't tried this before - but since ModPodge is pretty similar to watered-down glue, would white school glue work?

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back