Making a Mal Pistol holster pattern

Techcetera

2 1/2 weeks in camp, almost time to go home and work on my holster....

I'm building a Mal pistol holster rig from scratch (and observation of photos). Once I'm done, and if I'm successful, I'll post a few pictures and I'll make available, for the asking, a few patterns cut from Krazy Karpet plastic.
Of course if I completely blow it I'll just hide in the shadows and never mention this again ;)
I won't take offence if people would like to replicate them and let them spread like the flu.

By the way, for those of you in warmer climates, a Krazy Karpet is a kind of cheap toboggan.

It's a lot less expensive for you to make a downloadable pattern: no postage or pattern material that you'd have to pay for :)

Stupid scanner wasn't working...
OK, here's a quick tracing of the pattern. Set your printer margins wide and print on 8.5x11 paper. Cut out and tape together, lining up the marks where the overlap occurs. You'll have 2 patterns, A anb B. They are meant to be laid against the 'suede' side of the leather with the numbers facing up. For left-handed, flip the pattern over. A little thought needs to go into the assembly steps - I used Chicago screws and installed the lower 2 (of 4) brass ones first, securing B to A. Then fold B to form the belt loop and contact cement in place, following the obvoius contours. Then use a black Chigago screw to secure the buckle-strap to the 'body' side of the holster. Fold in half and contact cement together. Stitch. Install upper (2 of 4) brass Chicago screws. The lower 2 are obscured by part B when viewing the 'front' side but all 4 are apparent from the 'body' side. I used 8-9 oz saddle skirting (vegetable tan or carving leather). After it was all together I immersed in boiled water briefly and inserted an appropriate-sized cylindrical object until the leather cured.
Good luck and have fun.
And don't cut yourself.

Last edited:
Hello there! I hope you all can help me, as I am trying to make my own holster for my QMX Mal Stunt Pistol Replica. I have not undertaken this kind of leather work before, and I'd appreciate any tips, tricks, and/or guidance with this project. I hope to use Techcetera's pattern for this, but I am a bit lost for what kinds of tools I need.

Mainly, Is there a cheap online leather supplier that can sell me dyed/finished leather? I don't really care to me the color screen accurate. I just want it to look convincing. I looked at Tandy leather's site, but they seem to only sell 20 sq. feet of leather at a time. WAY more than I need for a holster, right? I already have a belt that will hold whatever rig I put on it. I just need tips about the holster.

So far, I have the Chicago screws, the small brass buckle for the front strap, and an idea of the kind of leather I need. I don't know what kind of thread, the size of the awls I need, or how to actually put this together. Also, is it necessary to submerge the holster in water? It doesn't seem to add much to the shape.

Keep Flyin'

I have a little... very little experiences with leather working. I'll pass to you what I know as a person getting started.

I was interested in making my own jedi belts about 10 years ago. There is a lot of money spent just getting your supplies. Most leathers are natural and you dye them to color. So you need dye and a sealer and some disposable swabs. Also you need another substance that is designed to seal and finish the edges. For tools, you need a good blade, a hole puncher (one with multi hole settings). For any snaps and rivets, you need to also have the proper setting tools to install them.

At this point I am going to assume you do not have access to a leather sewing machine. For sewing there are a track wheel tool that marks the letter to show you the proper spacing where to punch your stitching holes. I know some people like to buy and use that little sewing awl thing. Be warned, that is really made for quick repairs. A real leather stitch requires the item to be held (like in a vice) and then work two separate needles at the same time. This stitch is made so that the stitch does not unravel if the stitching breaks.

As far as wet forming goes. What I like to do is have a holster made so the fit is tight. Then I soak the holster. Then I put the weapon in plastic wrap (because usually it is a metal gun and I do not want it to rust) and work it into holster. I then let it dry with the weapon in the holster. This will create a form fit. I am not sure you should be forcing that QMX gun in a tight holster as it may result it breaking those knobs.

Anyhow, I am sure you can find ways to work around some items but the point I am trying to make is that if your point of a DIY holster is an attempt to save money, you may want to get a price list an add it up. It only pays off if you intend to use the tools and supplies as an investment into future projects.

I kept my projects limited to non stitching but I also utilized existing surplus leather pouches and holsters which I modified and redyed (to a darker color) to enhance my projects. I found it to be a fun activity.

Good Luck.

The price of the tools and materials to make your own holster if you've never done any leather work before are just about equal to what I charge to make one on commission. The learning curve on this stuff is pretty steep, too. Your first holster, even one as simple as Mal's, won't turn out perfect.

Risu, how much do you sell your commissioned holsters for? With you being more experienced at this kind of work than me, I trust you'd make a better holster than I could at this point.

I don't want to get a selling outside the junkyard infraction, so you can search my "threads posted by" for my junkyard listing with my Etsy shop, the holster is in there.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back