Making a low cost cardboard 1978 Cylon costume

fortressauthor

I will be showing my progress as I make a 1978 style Cylon costume out of cardboard. The thin cardboard from packaging, not corrugated cardboard.

fortressauthor

Ever since the Cylons appeared on television, I was hooked on the classic lines of the armor. The helmet has an iconic look and the chrome always looked cool! I've made various versions of the costume over the years with reference pictures wherever I could find them. Not until hearing of this forum a few months ago did I believe anyone else was actually trying to recreate the Cylon. I found some plans online that showed how to make one out of a shiny silver card, so I began my project. I did not spend any money on the card, since I used the dull brown kind at the bottom of shipping boxes. I'll post my pics as I progress. The picture shown was the sample of the shiny card that someone had posted. I am so grateful for the inspiration!

Attachments

• AllSquare1002.jpg
    AllSquare1002.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 71

fortressauthor

It's crazy how long it takes to get back to the hobby. I made some progress on the helmet. I included a pic of the printed instructions in the background from Universal Studios 2014 Bazookajo.me.UK. Those instructions are how I started this build. Later I will show some chest plate, and gauntlets of the same design. Many parts built already, just not posted.

Attachments

• IMG_2266.JPG
    IMG_2266.JPG
    865.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2267.JPG
    IMG_2267.JPG
    807.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2287.JPG
    IMG_2287.JPG
    708.9 KB · Views: 12

fortressauthor

So as I was able to let the hot glue cool, I glued both sides as seen. many of the paper patterns were traced onto poster board and then cut out for a stronger pattern to trace onto the chip board thin cardboard.

Attachments

• cardboard cylon.JPG
    cardboard cylon.JPG
    935.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2269.JPG
    IMG_2269.JPG
    886.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2174.JPG
    IMG_2174.JPG
    655.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2263 cylon helmet.jpg
    IMG_2263 cylon helmet.jpg
    762.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2264 cylon closer.jpg
    IMG_2264 cylon closer.jpg
    665.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2265 closer.jpg
    IMG_2265 closer.jpg
    277 KB · Views: 14

fortressauthor

I had a plan to make this Cylon costume in two different ways. One is in cardboard that has been covered in 2mm craft foam, and the other is in cardboard and later has it filled with putty and eventually primed and painted. Here is a version that is covered in 2mm craft foam. It took longer to cover it in foam, but after installing a Larson Scanner, it makes a nice effect. Maybe I will chrome paint it later.

Attachments

• IMG_2279.JPG
    IMG_2279.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2280.JPG
    IMG_2280.JPG
    973.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2281.JPG
    IMG_2281.JPG
    972.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2293.JPG
    IMG_2293.JPG
    687 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2292.MOV
    68.9 MB

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.