Making a Grail Diary Video... Help/Advice Needed.

Indy Magnoli

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I've got an idea for a new video for our YouTube channel that I'd like your help with. The concept is basically a discussion about the history of the Grail Diary prop. I'm planning on going through this prop in such a way that both novices and old timers can get something from the video. Here are the main points I'm planning on discussing:

• Concept of the original prop
• Sources used (source books, props from other films, historic inserts, etc)
• Assembly and distressing
• Variation between hero and B props
• Replicating

What I'd like from you guys is recommendations of things to include as well as any questions you might have that you'd like covered. If you have a question and would like to be quoted, let me know the name you'd like used (real name or screen name, etc). Feel free to PM me if you'd prefer.

I'll definitely be talking about Club Obi Wan and the RPF as a reference for those wanting to make their own props and will be plugging these communities in general.

Any ideas for this, let me know either as a posted reply, PM or e-mail. Any help would be appreciated. We really want to make this a great video, so don't want to overlook anything that should be included.

Kind regards,
Indy Magnoli

I’d be fascinated to hear about your research into the grail diary. I’ve subscribed to your channel in preparation :)

As far as questions go I guess most of my thoughts focus on the replication… standard stuff that I’m sure you’d cover regarding paper and weathering.

One thought that struck me was the marbling on the inside of the cover. If attempting to replicate the book, do you do that yourself or do you acquire marbled sheets from somewhere? I’m sure if I used the RPF search function the answer would be available, but it might be an interesting aside for the video.

I cannot wait to see this. :) The Grail diary is one of my favorite props of all time. Would love to hear more about the different versions of the prop used on screen, and all of the points you already outlined for the video. Thank you for doing this!

So excited for this! Anything that documents the original sources and information about the creation of the actual prop itself would be fascinating.

Starting the video with YOUR relationship and obsession with the prop would be a great jumping off point and who you reached out to over the years to gather information. That in itself could be it's own video honestly.

Really excited to see where this goes!

I reckon Mr. Savage would be interested in this too Indy. He did a show and tell of his Grail Diary.

LOL but given he has only now just discovered some more pages that were on propstore recently. he obviously hasn’t kept up to date with the diary pages as these were documented a few years ago now.
I have them in my diary I made a year ago.

Bro you could have just started your own thread to post your video rather than necro bump EVERY thread on the grail diary on the RPF. Just sayin.

Still working on the planning of this. I had a few bigger ideas for it that I wanted to explore before sitting down to film, but not sure what will eventuate from these plans. This is DEFINITELY still on my near-future to-do list though.

What is the best paper to use. I have a very ambitious plan (ok-insane:rolleyes:) to completely make from scratch with real hand printing for the entire book. My plan is to just make signatures 1 at a time until they are completed and then sew them into the book.

need the best paper option please.

104gsm (28lbs) ivory smooth paper (or a tiny big lighter/thinner is fine) is standard for most of the props, though there were a couple of the B props which actually had a finally laid paper.

Look for a local paper supplier... but you might be surprised. I've found some very close ivory paper at local copy centers. It's not uncommon for business documents, reports, etc. Anything around 100 grams should work.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back