Suggestion Make a Star Wars Junkyard

Adding filters in is a much more viable option.

We are getting a bit of pressure, from a VERY small minority to do the same as you initially suggested with the prop forum... split it into separate forums based on franchises. The problem is, we can barely get enough people to respond to even get an idea what the top dozen or so prop related franchises are... so I guess that tells you how important it is to people.

You actually touch on a good point though. As the RPF continues to grow, we are going to have to find new ways to pander member's particular interests.

I think filters would be the way to go. now that I think about it, adding a new forum would just complicate things and make things cluttered. It's nice to be able to click on "FS" or FS/T and filter it that way... so if we could filter by movie, it would make things easier, and people who are against "change" can keep on using the forum as they always have.

I think filters would be the way to go. now that I think about it, adding a new forum would just complicate things and make things cluttered. It's nice to be able to click on "FS" or FS/T and filter it that way... so if we could filter by movie, it would make things easier, and people who are against "change" can keep on using the forum as they always have.

Filters don't work though , the current FS, NP, FA, FS/T, WTB filters are used incorrectly all the time, these are simple filters clearly outlined at the top of the forum as to what filter should be used for what type of thread yet people continue to use the wrong filter for their threads, how would adding more help ?

While not a perfect solution, I think between adding prefixes (filters) and tags, we can go a long way toward helping the situation without hurting the overall community. As with so many things, this is on "the list" of things to do, but I can tell you, it isn't as high on the list as a number of other issues which are a bit more pressing.

One also has to keep in mind that there is no solution that the staff can implement that will work without help from the membership and even if 99% of the membership does help, those who don't will make the solution appear to not be effective. The base issue here is the organization of information and the ability to get to JUST the information you want... think of it as you would email... most of us get a lot of email... hundreds of emails a day.... and most go into a mass Inbox.... Most email providers have come up with one of two solutions to organizing the email, either moving email into folders or adding tags to the email. We are looking at a similar solution here but again, if members don't participate and only look to the staff to provide ready-made solutions for them that handle the problem perfectly, well, you are never going to find one and never going to be satisfied. In my personal opinion, the nay-sayers love this fact because it means they will always have the opportunity to complain or point out how solution X is failing. Sadly, this is because they have nothing better to do with their time/life than to belittle the efforts of others, choosing to complain instead of attempting to help find solutions to the problem. Our site thrives when there is cooperation and the staff and members are both working toward making the site the best it can be.

While not a perfect solution, I think between adding prefixes (filters) and tags, we can go a long way toward helping the situation without hurting the overall community. As with so many things, this is on "the list" of things to do, but I can tell you, it isn't as high on the list as a number of other issues which are a bit more pressing.

One also has to keep in mind that there is no solution that the staff can implement that will work without help from the membership and even if 99% of the membership does help, those who don't will make the solution appear to not be effective. The base issue here is the organization of information and the ability to get to JUST the information you want... think of it as you would email... most of us get a lot of email... hundreds of emails a day.... and most go into a mass Inbox.... Most email providers have come up with one of two solutions to organizing the email, either moving email into folders or adding tags to the email. We are looking at a similar solution here but again, if members don't participate and only look to the staff to provide ready-made solutions for them that handle the problem perfectly, well, you are never going to find one and never going to be satisfied. In my personal opinion, the nay-sayers love this fact because it means they will always have the opportunity to complain or point out how solution X is failing. Sadly, this is because they have nothing better to do with their time/life than to belittle the efforts of others, choosing to complain instead of attempting to help find solutions to the problem. Our site thrives when there is cooperation and the staff and members are both working toward making the site the best it can be.

How do you propose to ensure members use it properly Art ?
If you can't do that it just won't work that's not naysaying it's just fact, and if it doesn't work then what purpose does it serve ?
I'd love to offer a solution but i can't think of one maybe you have one ?
As a member all i can do to help is to ensure i use the JY properly and that's something i'm certainly willing to do which is why i took the time to make myself familiar with the current prefixes and their criteria, i can't be expected to ensure others do the same.

I did however offer one suggestion before which was to place a banner at the top of the JY like the one at the top of this section with all the prefixes and criteria in that rather than a sticky thread which people either aren't reading, ignoring what they have read, or just don't understand.

I did however offer one suggestion before which was to place a banner at the top of the JY like the one at the top of this section with all the prefixes and criteria in that rather than a sticky thread which people either aren't reading, ignoring what they have read, or just don't understand.

I think that is a good suggestion for the JY. As we look at a solution for this concern, that will probably be a part of it.

Well if he gets a Star Wars only Junkyard, then I want a NuBSG only Junkyard. And also a Blade Runner only Junkyard, or perhaps......

You see it could get pretty silly after awhile.

JMHO

thomas;)

I thinking a separate Junkyard for SW is a bad idea, it is not needed, and would just divide up the JY more, make it complicated for no good reason. I think it should stay everything in one spot.
AND I have been using the prefix selection for awhile and think they work very well. Sure occasionally folks use them wrong but 90% do it right and that is plenty.:thumbsup

It used be called Watto's Junkyard. I don't remember why it was changed. Maybe it was to reflect "all" props being sold, not just SW.

FWIW - It was changed away from "Classifieds" bacause we were getting spammers (maybe even spambots?) posting random for sale threads (like weight loss pills, apartments for rent, etc.) It was thought that by removing the word "Classifieds" that we might not get picked up by the spambots. Watto's Junkyard was suggested probably because it happened in about 2001 or 2002.

I happen to be the one that suggested it then, and no, my feelings won't be hurt if we come up with a better name. ;)

I like seeing the variety, and if I'm looking for something in particular I just do a search. Seems to work out pretty well.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back