Suggestion Make a Star Wars Junkyard

Note to self... rename the Junkyard to "Really Exciting Classifieds" and have all hate PMs automatically routed to Mr. No Stripes. :lol

:lol... fine with me as long as you increase the size of my PM box. I've got enough "junk" in there already... excuse the somewhat distant pun.

Last edited:
BTW my original intent was not to transform the existing junkyard into a "star wars only junkyard" but to have a special place just for Star Wars items... it was to make it easier to find stuff you might be interested (I guess I assumed most people on this forum were mainly interested in Star Wars, but I guess I'm just bias :))... it may take a bit of time, but maybe we can add other filters (like the FS or WTB filters) were you can click on Star Wars, Harry Potter, Star Gate, Star Trek, Judge Dredd, Aliens, Indiana Jones, Bourne Idenity, Quantum leap, National Treasure or Jurassic Park. Then we can make everyone Happy :) maybe these filters could be used in other areas of the forums as well, so you can find threads you'd be more interested in looking at.

It know I could just use the search function... but this would mainly be for those times when you're browsing the forums, and don't have a specific topic in mind.

Adding filters in is a much more viable option.

We are getting a bit of pressure, from a VERY small minority to do the same as you initially suggested with the prop forum... split it into separate forums based on franchises. The problem is, we can barely get enough people to respond to even get an idea what the top dozen or so prop related franchises are... so I guess that tells you how important it is to people.

You actually touch on a good point though. As the RPF continues to grow, we are going to have to find new ways to pander member's particular interests.

I am one of those who thinks it would be a good idea to take say the top 3 film franchises, (star wars, star trek, etc..) and give them their own prop forum. Additionally, any other franchise that would get enough traffic to warrant being broken out into sub forums could be as well.
People aren't responding because you have to post it in the main prop forum to get any kind of exposure. Very few even bother to come into this section either.

If the admin team made a post in the main prop forum and said, hey, we are thinking about splitting out star wars, start trek, and (x) out of the main forum and giving them their own forums, and wanted to guage support for it, I guarantee a ton of people would weigh in. And I'll bet it would have overwhelming support.

With al the new members, and all the new members coming, posts in the prop forum fall off the first couple of pages in less than a day. Breaking out the most popular (and by most popular I mean the ones with the most traffic) franchises into their own sections would not only slow down the traffic within those huge sections, but also help free up traffic for 'everything else' in the prop forum. Surely the RPF has grown large enough to warrant these minor divisions to help guide traffic and make it easier/quicker/more efficient for people to see the things they are most interested in.

As far as I can see, the only downside is having to navigate into other sub forums. But in my opinion, that is far outweighed by the positive that it would bring.

Using prefixes doesn't help because as simple as they are to use, most people still won't end up using them and we'll just end up with a prop forum littered with prefixed thread titles.

Maybe I or someone should post a separate thread about this.

Please, no more subforums!

Mind you, the original idea wasn't so bad, great way of avoiding all that Star Wars crap...

Can you explain why you think a few specific subforums for the most popular franchises is a bad idea.
If you think SW is crap, this would actually make it easier for to you avoid it.

Can you explain why you think a few specific subforums for the most popular franchises is a bad idea.

I know this wasn't directed at me, but I can give you my reasoning.

We simply aren't big enough to justify it.

Discussion forum based sites live and die by activity or the lack thereof. Right now, this site is relatively active, but the truth is, it isn't as active as one might think. The OT currently is getting the most activity followed up by the Replica Prop forum, so if your argument is that we need subforums due to activity, we should be creating subforums for the OT before the Replica Prop forum.

As a reference point, the Replica Prop forum (the forum, not the whole site) is currently getting between 250-350 posts per day.

Lets say we take your suggestion and break up the Replica Prop forum and add in just ONE subforum, much as the OP suggested for the Junkyard. Let's consider adding in a Star Wars subforum to the Replica Prop forum.

What would we gain?

We would gain your ability to not be "bothered" by threads about other franchises that do not interest you.

and... that is about it.

What is lost?

You said it yourself:

People aren't responding because you have to post it in the main prop forum to get any kind of exposure. Very few even bother to come into this section either.

This would be the same "problem" with creating franchise specific subforums. They will not get the exposure the main forum provides and all one needs to do is see how most people use the site to see that they don't visit all the forums, usually just one or two, sometimes three.

This leads us to the second problem that you also addressed yourself:

Using prefixes doesn't help because as simple as they are to use, most people still won't end up using them and we'll just end up with a prop forum littered with prefixed thread titles.

When posters realize their post isn't getting the exposure they think it deserves they will begin posting in the main forum instead of the appropriate subforum. We have this problem already with a few members but would very likely see the problem increase exponentially if we added subforums. This would create a nightmare for the staff, constantly moving threads and then having to debate irate members about why their thread was moved to a less busy forum.

Am I saying we will NEVER consider subforums? Not at all. I could forsee a time when the site IS active enough to warrant a breakout but we would have to be much more active than we are now.

I have a question for you. Aside from being a slight convenience for you to have the threads you are interested in gathered in their own forum, what advantage do you see franchise subforums serving the site/membership as a whole?

Discussion forum based sites live and die by activity or the lack thereof. Right now, this site is relatively active, but the truth is, it isn't as active as one might think.

I would say the main prop forum is active enought that if you post a thread at noon, by the end of the night has made it to page 3.
That to me is extremely busy. And I'll bet that most people don't bother to search a forum past the second page, if that.
Thread visibility is becoming more and more of a problem.

As a reference point, the Replica Prop forum (the forum, not the whole site) is currently getting between 250-350 posts per day.

That is an immense amount of posts and would have a significant effect on how far and how fast any particular thread would drop depending on whether or not people continue to post in it.

Lets say we take your suggestion and break up the Replica Prop forum and add in just ONE subforum. Let's consider adding in a Star Wars subforum to the Replica Prop forum.
What would we gain?
We would gain your ability to not be "bothered" by threads about other franchises that do not interest you.

and... that is about it.

I disagree, and I'll explain why.
Yes, it helps separate threads by interest of course. That is a huge plus for a major portion of the rpf who is star wars or star trek centric.
But it also significantly slows down the pace at which a thread drops off a page.
Which is the most significant reason for creating a separate forum.

BTW, I wouldn't create a 'sub forum', just another forum category.
Mind you, this would only be for the two or three franchises that are by far the most popular on the site. I'll bet they drive at least 30% or more of the entire site's traffic (not including the OT forum).
Now in order for this to work correctly, you would have to re organize the forum categories.
The way it is right now, it seems pointless to have a props forum and a separate costume forum.
It made sense when it was 'costuming' because that defined a very specific type of prop making. The way it is now, people post in those two forums haphazardly because those sections mean different things to different people.
I know you want the SEO recognition for those words, but the forum structure is suffering and the membership remains confused for that small little gain they you may get from naming them in that fashion. It feels like these priorities are not in the correct order. Adding the word 'replica' in front of the categories is redundant. Especially when you have a Screen Used forum.

I think it should be as follows:
Prop forum, Star Wars prop forum, (Insert #2 franchise forum), Studio Scale forum, Screen Used forum, Off-Topic forum, Junkyard
BTW, that modeling forum breakout is pointless and should go bye-bye.
The forum categories as I listed them above would make much more sense, have better clarity, and ultimately better serve the membership. Doesn't matter or you love or hate Star Wars, Star Trek, or Indiana Jones, etc.., this change will benefit people on both sides.

What is lost?
This would be the same "problem" with creating franchise specific subforums. They will not get the exposure the main forum provides and all one needs to do is see how most people use the site to see that they don't visit all the forums, usually just one or two, sometimes three.

I have to disagree with that as well.
I would wager that a star wars or star trek specific forum would be very close to the level of activity that the main prop forum would have, after they were broken out. Like a 30% (star wars) x 20% (star trek) x 50% (all the other forums combined not counting the OT forum) split.

If this were done, I do not believe the rpf would experience the problem of people posting threads in the wrong places for increased visibility as you mentioned was a concern. There would be no need. Because the Star Wars forum would be EXTREMELY active. Like it or not, the majority of this forum is still based on Star Wars related threads (again, not counting the OT forum).
And if you apply that same logic to the number two franchise, then all the better for everyone.

Like I said earlier, the problem is thread visibility.
But not because a thread wouldn't be getting enough viewers in a specific forum.
But because the way it is now, threads drop down so quickly, people simply just don't get a chance to see them. And let's be honest, people are almost never going to start looking at pages 3 and 4 of any forum.

This leads us to the second problem that you also addressed yourself:

This would create a nightmare for the staff, constantly moving threads and then having to debate irate members about why their thread was moved to a less busy forum.

I don't think you give people enough credit. I don't think you would have a problem with people posting SW threads in the main prop forum. There would be no need.

Am I saying we will NEVER consider subforums? Not at all. I could forsee a time when the site IS active enough to warrant a breakout but we would have to be much more active than we are now.

Based on how quickly threads fall now, I'd say we've been there for awhile. And with the increase of new registrations, the worse the problem is going to get.

Ill raise a hand to the idea of replica props/costumes only Junkyard. Everything else can go into the JunkJunkyard. Filters dont always work because a seller might list a Han Solo Blaster as HS blaster, SW blaster, Star Wars blaster, Greedo Killer blaster etc.

I started on a point by point response, but when it is boiled down your argument is that you want separate forums because you are unwilling to go to page 2 or 3 of the main forum. Just don't think you are going to see that happen anytime soon as it would be a major disruption to the overall flow of the site because a very limited number of members aren't using the software the way it was intended.

In regard to the costumes forum, the slight change to the title did not create the problem... that forum has been confusing from day one. I have made no secret that I don't agree with the forum and would love to see it absorbed back into the prop forum as I feel it only serves to confuse and be a bit of a black hole. I know you like the idea of separating "costumers" from "real" prop builders/collectors, but there will always be major crossover and there will always be issues with a forum like the costumes forum, regardless of what it is called.

You blow off the modeling forum as unnecessary but are arguing for a similar thing with the prop forum... I would love to see the response you got if you suggested that to the modeling crowd. Bet they would not see it the same way.

At the end of the day, I remain unconvinced that creating new subforums is in the best interest of the site as a whole. We are more than willing to listen and open to suggestion, but at this point, I am not seeing it.

The filter system in the JY doesn't work now because it relies on members to use it properly which they don't, how the hell do you expect it to work if you add a dozen or so extra options ?

As for adding extra subforums to the prop forum what's the purpose ? are you seriously telling me that people don't bother posting about SW props because people discuss other stuff there too ?
Threads get lost ? come on haven't you noticed that you can bookmark threads ?

I don't believe the majority of interest in props on this board is SW based either.
I just now looked at the first page of the prop forum and out of thirty threads two were SW related and one of those was simply a product launch announcement from eFX.
Incidently there were also only two threads that were Trek related and again one of those was a discussion about eFX's product line.

I know i know you're going to say but that's because all the SW and Trek threads get bumped off the first page by this other crap, even if that were the case it would only indicate that all this other crap is what people are posting in most frequently and bumping it to the front.

Last edited:
It's a can of worms that doesn't need opening. Once you have SW, ST and whoever , then we will have a predator, Terminator, Pitch Black, Iron man and yada , yada ,yada. It's gets too wordy.
Even before being a member I could search for anything without a problem. I think the way it is now is a good system. Trying to make a few happy because they are unwilling to look beyond the first page is petty at best.

Just thinking out loud here, but one alternative would be to enable the tag system and use it for movie titles only. This would not be a perfect solution by a long shot as it would again rely on member compliance or someone behind the scenes tagging every thread, but it would be an alternate way in which one could find threads about the content they are interested in.

I'm not interested in the costume or modelling forums or anything much about Star Wars (though I don't think it's crap - that was just a little jibe back at the OP :)) but I'm not too lazy to scroll past stuff that doesn't interest me.

Actually, I only ever select specific forums when I'm posting. If I'm just surfing threads I use the new posts button to make sure I'm not missing anything.

Separating up everything into sub-forums just makes things more confusing, ugly and encourages 'micro-communities', imho.

Since the creation of the paper props sub-forum... I've barely checked it out.

I agree, and I loved the PPF. Please make it a main category again!

I'd like to see
props JY (one time offers. ie: buy my saber.)
runs JY (just for RPF runs)
collectibles JY (for toys, jeeps and other junk.)

I'm not too lazy to scroll past stuff that doesn't interest me.

I think you nailed it there birdie.
The whole issue here is people are unwilling to extend the tiniest amount of effort to find what they want. They just want it handed to them. This is a problem with society in general and creating subforums isn't going to solve it.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back