Majora's Mask

Update:

I have my first casting out of the mold and am dry fitting all the parts. In these pictures the main portion of the mask has been primed for painting. the pain is the next portion I'm trying to figure out. I'm not sure what type of paint to use so I'm testing some out and when I decide on some I'll post more pictures.

IMG_0160.jpg

IMG_0161.jpg

You can really see the wood grain texture in this picture (along with bubbles in the horns that I have to get rid of) Part of my hesitation with the paint is that I don't want to fill all that detail in. I need to find paint that will show all of that.

Man, that's looking nice.

I was also wondering how people should paint the mask. Even though the game depicts the mask as flat colors, I always felt parts of the mask like the horns should have a kind of prismatic look to it (kinda like in the cover art).

If there was ANY constructive critique I could have, it would be that the 8 lower horns are a little too short and the 2 upper horns are a little too long and curved.

So here's the paint test. I'm not sure I like the blue, and the orange at the top needs to be more yellow I think. As far as the horns go I have no idea how to get the swirly patterns that are seen in the cover art so I just made them solid. Also I might cast some longer horns for the bottom part. As far as the top horns I know I saw some concept art where they were curved like that and I thought that looked pretty cool. My goal with this was to make a replica that look as "realistic" as I was capable. Obviously the mask in the game didn't have the fine details that current games have so I had to improvise a bit. The horns were made at that length because I thought they were believable too long and pointy and they will look to cartoony. These I thought looked about right and a bit worn through time. I still welcome critiques don't get me wrong I'm going to test out longer horns today. I just wanted to tell you guys my thought processes behind what I did.
IMG_0174.jpg

Also I did get kind of over eager to paint and skipped fixing the bubbles on this one. In the future I'll get those.

I have still been working on the masks. Here is the proof. They're multiplying!
676b18da.jpg

I thought of a solution or perhaps a compromise on the top horn curves. I was thinking that they could just be rotated a bit so that from the front(like all the pictures) they look straight but three dimensionally they have that interesting devilish curve to them. As far as length I've run out off materials for casting at the moment so the first few will be short for now, money is hampering development on that.

very nice. I think you should have a matte finish on the mask while putting a clear coat over the eyes to make them pop even more.

Regarding the length of the bottom horns, I think you should just cast more of the yellow bottom horn for all of the lower horns. that one looks like a good length based on the game art.

These look absolutely incredible, but if I had to give some constructive criticism, it'd be...

In the game the bottom horns seem to spread out more, where as on yours they're all going at the same angle.

Regarding the length of the bottom horns, I think you should just cast more of the yellow bottom horn for all of the lower horns. that one looks like a good length based on the game art.

I think you may be right about this. So I tried it out in a test with all the yellow horns that I have. Here is the result on the right and for comparison the other horns on the left. Also I mounted the top horns rotated a bit so they look straight from ahead but have the devil curve to the back.

65ad7b69.jpg

These look amazing!
Are you still planning to sell some of them?
If so then I'd definatly be interested! :)

Yes I'm planning on selling these (when I'm allowed by the site rules, which I believe I need to wait a few more weeks) and then getting some more material to make a few more masks. Of the people who are interested what do you think of the horns and the lengths. I casted a bunch of the short ones before MooMooEgg suggested using all the yellow ones. So all I have to do is glue them on and they would be done, but short. I personally don't mind for the one I'm keeping for myself but I do see that I should have made them just a bit longer.

By the way I just want to thank all the people who have commented with suggestions and nice comments. They are very much appreciated. Looking through the posts I realized that I did not do that yet.

I think you may be right about this. So I tried it out in a test with all the yellow horns that I have. Here is the result on the right and for comparison the other horns on the left. Also I mounted the top horns rotated a bit so they look straight from ahead but have the devil curve to the back.

65ad7b69.jpg

Can't see the picture here. :cry

Have you also tried putting the bottom yellow horns on the top as well to see how it would look?

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back