Magneto comic Book style - first pep project - Updated 10/3

Discussion in 'Marvel Costumes and Props' started by Lord Magneto, Nov 12, 2011.

1. Lord Magneto

Lord Magneto Well-Known Member

Well after a few months of lurking I've finally decided to attempt my first Pep build.

Since I'm a huge fan of Magneto I figured I'd attempt to make a Magneto comic book style helmet.

First let me just say thanks to everyone here for posting all of your great tips/photos/suggestions etc. Big thanks to Stealth and his amazing videos.

I decided to document my first project as well because I'm on a few other message boards that have people who are interested in this.

Go easy on me folks.

I was able to find almost all of my supplies over at Walmart.
    I went with the 110lb card stock as most of you have suggested. I picked up an x-acto knife and some extra blades

here is a video recapping my first day (basically just cutting the printed files)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My first night went pretty well for the noob that I am. I was able to get everything cut and ready for the gluing phase.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  2. Lord Magneto

Re: Magneto comic Book style - first pep project

My second day went really well I basically just went over each piece I cutout and did the scoring of the tabs.

[​IMG]

I should mention I'm a parent of a newborn so I dont have a huge amount of time to work on the project as I'd like so I'm taking it a little slow.

My 3rd day I got down to the gluing phase.... which turned into the oh crap this helmet was made for a giant and I need to resize my pep file.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So I'm currently in the process of making my next version of the helmet.

Even though the first one didnt turn out ok I'm still really enjoying the work and it's fun to be doing some creative stuff again.

3. wickedoffroad

wickedoffroad Active Member

I agree. My first try was Warmachine and it looks like he had been thru hell. Practice practice practice they always say.

4. Broadway204

Broadway204 New Member

Once you get the hang of scaling it will all come together. I made myself a useful tool to aid in the process. A duct tape head...
    [​IMG]
    I wrote the measurements right on it so it became easier when scaling.
    [​IMG]
    Good luck.

5. Lord Magneto

Wow thats a great idea

6. rosskow

rosskow Well-Known Member

i guess magneto has a much larger head than us non-mutants, i was lucky enough with my fett helm, was perfect scale for my 'noggin'

:confused (incase thats not a recognised american saying, noggin is English for head) :)

7. Lord Magneto

Haha I believe we use that saying here as well ;)

8. Lord Magneto

Alrighty big update here.

Video 4 - My scaling discussion on how to use Pepakura Designer to rescale your file. As you saw my first few attempts at the helmet were either too large or too small.

[​IMG]

Now on to the good stuff...

Video 5 - My semi completed pepakura Magneto Helmet!

[​IMG]
    I still need to add the helmet details... which im now debating on adding after I harden the helmet.

But here are some pics! Hope you guys are liking it so far. My wife has been yelling at me for wearing it around the house this weekend haha.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Inside the helmet
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. rosskow

thought it was better to be safe than sorry, so included the english to normal person translation

helmet looks to be the right size now, finally

that little do-hickey thing on the forehead area of the helmet looks like a bloody nightmare to cut and glue, my advise for that bit would be to leave it off, do the helmet as you would without it and make it separately and attach later on, just one person opinion though

10. Lord Magneto

That's also what I was thinking. I figured if I left it on it would make sanding/shaping the top of the helmet more difficult.

11. rosskow

also, i imagine its hollow the little do-hickey so it wouldn't be very strong even after putting all the coats of resin you can fit on it so adding filler and trying to sand it could turn out to be very difficult, thats why i ended up ripping off the ears from my fett helmet

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  12. Lord Magneto

Yea i didnt even think of that... I'm guessing that part is going to be a pain in the * to get shaped right with filler/bondo etc

13. Broadway204

Broadway204 New Member

Nice job so far. For the crown detail I would make it out of plastic card and then use model filler of green stuff (2 part epoxy) to do final shape.

14. SemperBourne

SemperBourne Active Member

wow. that helmet looks like it was difficult to pep. great job

15. Hyperballistik

Hyperballistik Member

Nice job on the helmet, to harden that doo hickey thing that attaches to the front of the helmet, I would suggest the Rondo method, its a mixture of fiberglass resin and bondo, its runny so you can pour it into a small hole to harden that section up, To use this method and learn to mix it just search for it on google or you can go to the 405th.com site they have tutorials how to do the Rondo process also called mud glassing I think

Good luck

16. rosskow

i just had to comment because you said do hickey, but when you think about it, there is no better word to use, its perfectly fitting :)

17. Lord Magneto

Thanks for the suggestion... I will definitely look into that.

ugh don't google image search glassing while you are eating... :sick

18. rosskow

*shutters*

i dont even want to imagine what that could bring up, i'll keep that in mind for further google imaging, just sounds wrong anyway, "glassing"

19. Lord Magneto

Alrighty... here is the next update...

I was able to do the first stage of the Resin process yesterday! My paper helmet is now much stronger and feels almost plastic. I only applied 1 coat of resin to the outside of the helmet. I will be using fiber glass cloth on the inside next.

[​IMG]

Items used:
    Resin + hardener
    Paint brushes from the dollar store
    a tin container
    Gloves
    Respirator
    I used an old speaker stand for the helmet to dry on
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. rosskow

nice idea to just put that bit between the mouth area to hold the sides in place, i'd of ended up holding it for 2 hours to set, the simple ideas normally escape me till it too late

21. GrimmpyDinky

GrimmpyDinky New Member

Nice job there! I can see your a guy with patience to. Really clean in details. Keep on the good work!

22. Lord Magneto

Haha surprisingly that little strip worked out great. I was having a hard time even when it was just in paper form to hold the shape so that held everything together exactly like I wanted.

I should have my fiberglass photos and videos up later today.

23. Lord Magneto

Alright here is an update on applying fiber glass cloth to the inside of my helmet. Everything went pretty well. I had to let it sit for about 24 hours in order for it to fully harden but it's now rock hard.

I will be doing a little trimming work later tonight and maybe some bondo work.

[​IMG]

spray adhesive to get the cloth to stick to the inside
    [​IMG]

Fiber glass cloth cut into small strips
    [​IMG]

Fiber glass cloth applied to the inside of the helmet
    [​IMG]

You paint over the cloth with resin.

What it looks like hard/dry
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. BlackKaos

BlackKaos Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Re: Magneto comic Book style - first pep project - Updated 11/20

So far so good. Keep up the posts.

25. Darth Pinhead

Darth Pinhead Active Member

Solid build, thus far, for your first pep project. Need to add 'ole Magneto to my "To Do" list...

26. alphamale57

alphamale57 New Member

Excellent work I will definitely be using some of your methods on my future builds. Can't wait to see the finished product

27. Hyperballistik

Hyperballistik Member

Looks good man, I like the Idea of using spray glue to hold the cloth into the helmet, I don't use fiberglass to harden my peps anymore but when I did, I would sit there with cloth sticking to my gloves and getting resin everywhere, great job also did you figure how to harden that extra detail piece that will go on the front of the helmet

28. Lord Magneto

haha yea well the spray adhesive got on my glove and I couldnt get the first strip of fiberglass cloth off my glove.

I'm still tossing around ideas for the "doohickey"...

thanks for all the kind words guys... If this turns out even half as good as some of the amazing stuff on here that you all build I will be thrilled.

29. Lord Magneto

Ok here is a little update.

After all of the fiber glass cloth/resin dried I needed to go in and do some clean up work on the helmet. I took a rotary tool with a mini saw blade attachment and went through and removed all the excess fiber glass that was hanging off the ends. I then used a small sanding attachment to try and remove the sharp fiber glass shards that were inside the helmet. It's now pretty smooth on the inside... that was a bit of a pain in the * to do.

[​IMG]

Photos after the cleanup
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now it's time to do some bondo work!! ;D

30. Lord Magneto

Re: Magneto comic Book style - first pep project - Updated 11/23

Alrighty sorry for the delay...

Here is the latest update on the helmet. I've began the Bondo/Sanding stage of the helmet. Man oh man does this take a little to get used to working with or what... This was my first time working with Bondo and it's slightly messy and somewhat hard to work with when using a putty knife. I've found that if I used an only NY state flexible drivers license that worked about 100x's better when applying it to the helmet.

Any suggestions on keeping airbubbles out or the little craters that showup when sanding?

here is the latest vid showing this step.
    My first Pepakura Project - Magneto Helmet: Part 9 - Bondo & Sanding - YouTube

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

photo of the bondo and the hardener
    [​IMG]

Bondo applied
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sanded - Lots more Bondo/Sanding action to come.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

31. rosskow

different use a sander on that, no point doing by hand if you've got a sander to smooth it for second coat of filler, looks good though, keep up the sanding!

32. endo500

endo500 Active Member

Hey your videos are really helpful. I'm getting ready to start a pep project and these videos have helped me out a lot. I need to eventually do magneto but i keep letting other costumes get in the way.

33. Lord Magneto

Thanks man... i actually foundout that I was using the wrong ratio of bondo to hardener. I saw this photo in your thread lastnight and used it as a guide and my bondo dried much harder and the sanding was much easier. I also switched from the mouse sander to hand sanding for a bit and found that worked really well in some cases.
    [​IMG]

34. Lord Magneto

Glad they are helping... definitely check out some of the threads here on this board. There are some amazing stuff/tips etc. It's a lot of fun as well.

35. Lord Magneto

Small update...more bondo and more sanding

Second coat of bondo
    [​IMG]

After a lot of sanding and a little spot filling...we are starting to look a little more round
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

36. ASLumabas

ASLumabas New Member

Re: Magneto comic Book style - first pep project - Updated 11/27

Nice process work of your! I also work on Magneto (First Class Version) and STILL learning from anyone who make Magneto like you. Look forward to your finish work.

Cheer

37. Lord Magneto

Re: Magneto comic Book style - first pep project - Updated 11/27

Minor update. I havent had a whole hell of a lot of time to work on this. I've been doing a ton ton ton of bondo/sanding to get it to the shape I want.

Last night I threw on my first coat of primer to help see the areas that I need to work on. Lots of little holes here and there. I also need to work on reshaping the top a little along with one of the front mouth piece areas (the one on the left in the pictures below is bent in a little at the top).

Hopefully by this weekend I will be able to start on the details that run along the outside of the helmet.

Sorry about the crappy cellphone pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

38. chris_s

chris_s Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Re: Magneto comic Book style - first pep project - Updated 2/6

How smooth does the fiberglass cloth turn out? Would an initial layer on the outside cut short any of the bondo/sanding process? Or is it too rough?

39. NexusFX

NexusFX Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

fiberglass on the outside would be counter productive. get your self a mouse sander. quickest way.

40. Lord Magneto

That's what I was going to say. I only applied the fiberglass on the inside and then used my dremel with a sanding attachment to grind away at sharp areas.

Also as ironfett mentioned a mouse sander is a great tool for these projects. I picked mine up on craigslist for $10

41. Lord Magneto

Any suggestions about how I can make the helmet trim details that go around the openings of the helmet?

I need to build it up a little so it's thicker than the rest of the helmet. I was thinking of using cardboard to get the shape right or even paper then building it up with bondo. However getting the thickness consistent will be a bit of a pain.

42. endo500

endo500 Active Member

Hey man thats a crazy difficult pep to make for your first project, but you seem to be making great progress and have it looking like a regular.

43. Psicorp7

Psicorp7 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Sintra, ABS, HIPS and sometimes EVA foam work good if you are not planning on putting bondo over the top of them. All except the EVA can be heat bent with a good heat gun into many complex shapes. I like ABS, it offers a nice thin detail and can be bent well. Looks really glossy when painted too.

Cut it into small pieces and work in sections. It is nearly impossible to do it all in one shot. Good Luck! It looks great so far!

44. rosskow

im with Psicorp7 on this one, i would at least advise against the cardboard/paper with bondo on top method, i did this it was a nightmare.

with the sintra etc. material you can just use that as the finished surface and paint on to, still using primer though.

or experiment and found out what's best for you.

nice to see someone making progress on their build

45. Lord Magneto

I will have to look into the ABS plastic. I've never worked or seen much of that.

Haha I just did a search the other week on your project to see how it was coming. I really haven't had that much time to work on mine until recently. Hopefully you can get back into it soon.

46. Lord Magneto

Actually what about using Sculpey Clay?

Does anyone know if that will have any negative impact with Bondo?

47. Lord Magneto

I'm actually now going to take a look at epoxy putty. I think that might be a better option for me than the foam or clay.

48. Lord Magneto

Here is a quick update. Nothing major . Just showing my new work space in my garage for my projects.

I should have another update up Sunday

Quick Update - New workspace - YouTube

49. cama900

cama900 Active Member

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  50. Lord Magneto

OK i should have some more updates coming on this... I've been seriously slacking on this build. I've been crazy distracted with other stuff but now have some time to really start getting this back on track. I should have some updates ready tonight.