Magic of Myth ( MoM ) Luke RotJ Hero ( cave build ) lightsaber research, images, reference, & collaborative model builder's discussion.

DaveP
I’m glad for that, wish it was as clear as it *actually* appears on screen; I’m using my small 4K tv and taking slow-mo video zoomed in on these areas
(I lose a lot of detail just in that way) :\
I'm just in the process of downloading the UHD version of 4K83. Going to get some screen grabs from that to base my Yuma changes on. Its a 70gig file though, so it's taking a loooong time! :D I'll post what I manage to get on here if you like. I'd have a go at getting some slow-mo, but I'm not sure my TV will run a file this size! I don't imagine it'll open up in premier pro either. I'll give it a shot though! (y)

Was thinking about grabbing the 4K83; would love to see what you find. In terms of the Hero Cave I think it’s time to shift attention to going back in time and grabbing/assembling the other available references :}

Was thinking about grabbing the 4K83; would love to see what you find. In terms of the Hero Cave I think it’s time to shift attention to going back in time and grabbing/assembling the other available references :}
It's well worth getting! It's the only version I watch now. I only downloaded the 1080p version though up to now (Which is crystal clear for watching on TV) because I'm impatient and couldn't wait to see it at the time.

I've just checked now, and Photoshop will open up the 1080p version, so I can trim it/slow it down/frame capture/etc. I've got my fingers crossed the UHD file will load up too once it's downloaded. That would be perfect!

Finished downloading and skimming through 4K83. I'll say... I AM impressed. there's a lot of detail here, and it's nice to have a digital (downloaded) format so you can expand, slow down, zoom in, etc.

I will say though, that I think the raw clarity of the next 4K official release will probably be cleaner, just based on Disney+ Streaming... so once those are on 4KDVD/BlueRay/etc (not streaming) it will be "easier" to see more.

Related to what we're talking about here, I think I've pretty much already grabbed everything from raw film capture that I can... with my abilities and iphone slow-mo recording anyway.

For example. This is WAY easier to capture in slowmo.
The audio, however, is a nightmare at this speed :lol: ( 1% speed ) = frame by frame. otherwise GREAT for pausing.

not sure if clarity/color will be as good as Disney+ though.... if that makes sense

Finished downloading and skimming through 4K83.
You beat me to it! :D Mine's on 80% still!

What you've managed to get there is awesome! Very clear!

I'm going to go ahead and run it through some editing software and break it down once it's finished. Just so I can capture from the raw footage.

Probably won't be any clearer than what you have there to be honest. It'll be be good to grab some images straight from the film though for reference.

I mean, look at that! I'm becoming very fond of this prop! :love: In all it's various forms!

Great work as always.

darker tri-ring for sure too: Halliwax ; )

Screen Shot 2020-03-06 at 9.24.51 AM.png

So here's what I managed to get from the raw video file:

YUMA.png

Had to convert to MP4 to bring in to photoshop, but other than that, this is an unaltered full frame 4K image. The inset image is blown up and has a slight noise reduction. The black and white image, I just messed around with the levels to show that the little dark area is caused by the shadow of Hamill's thumb. It does look to have a chamfer running along that edge though, as the shadow goes off in a slightly different direction towards the edge.

Whoa, I need to go through those.

Also, I realized this blade topic from earlier came up in the V3 thread already. Someone mentioned the Yuma tang went down the neck, and I was like what?!
It would appear so. It makes sense mechanically not to have the stress point be the nipple. There was only one short blade and it was specifically for the Yuma and the one in the Archives video is the shortest one on the table.

Either the tang hole is so small that it creates a "pupil" effect like your eye, light not getting in. Or there literally is no tang and we were mistaken!

Whoa, I need to go through those.

Also, I realized this blade topic from earlier came up in the V3 thread already. Someone mentioned the Yuma tang went down the neck, and I was like what?!

Either the tang hole is so small that it creates a "pupil" effect like your eye, light not getting in. Or there literally is no tang and we were mistaken!
I'm not sure it was the Yuma that was used to film the throne room scene. Well, I'm sure it wasn't. So I'm not sure the image of the stunt blade, mid flight, can tell us anything about the depth of the blade. I must admit, it makes sense to have it as deep as possible, but I'm sure I saw an image of the hero on display recently, and it looked to be no deeper than the nipple?

Screws, any idea what metal they were made of? I doubt aluminum screws were available in the era, zinc again I doubt it, brass is my bet, painted over probably. I have been unable to find vintage steel slot head screws or any reference to them. I talked to a local hardware store owner who has been in the business for 46 years, I thinks brass was the got to slot head screw then.

where is Mark' glove

Thought you had me there for a minute, but he doesn't put it on until after this sequence, when he's in his X Wing. His hand hadn't been shot yet in the scene these pics are from.

In response to your earlier question, I don't think your information is correct.

The screws used in the Yuma box could have come from literally anywhere, and there were certainly steel and aluminum slotted screws around in the early 80s, and long before that. (And zinc has been in use as a protective coating for a long long time)

I suppose if you're asking whether the regular Joe could go to the local hardware store and purchase any screw under the sun, in whatever material he could imagine, in 1982-3, I can't give you a definitive answer, without knowing where.

But, I can tell you there was likely no shortage of fasteners in whatever shop the prop was constructed.

They could very well be painted or blackened brass, and just as easily blackened steel. My guess is probably not aluminum, but it can't be ruled out.

Last edited:
Looking back at the screen grabs again, in some shots the screws almost look like they could be bare, aged brass, and in some they look like dark (but not blackened) steel.

Need to find a shot where they're not in a shadow!

They look like steel here
YUMA.png

I have slot head screws from grandfathers workshop going back to the '40's at least in both brass & steel, inc. japanned steel (black lacquer). I'm very used to seeing 'aged' screw heads. I have found that 'machine' screws (as opposed to wood screws) are more commonly steel. As they're joining metal to metal they're more likely to be machine type. In my 'professional' opinion these look like steel ref. the above stills.

I have slot head screws from grandfathers workshop going back to the '40's at least in both brass & steel, inc. japanned steel (black lacquer). I'm very used to seeing 'aged' screw heads. I have found that 'machine' screws (as opposed to wood screws) are more commonly steel. As they're joining metal to metal they're more likely to be machine type. In my 'professional' opinion these look like steel ref. the above stills.
I would agree with that. In the ornamental iron shop I’ve worked in the past 6 years there are boxes of vintage hardware that have sat waiting to be used over the past 50 years,
Including (steel) slotted flat head machine screws such as this. In fact, depending on what items they broke down for production it could have come from vintage machinist tooling. But again, all conjecture haha

I'm not sure it was the Yuma that was used to film the throne room scene.
We weren't discussing the throne room saber at all - the roger christian archives video sported some blades and showed their tangs, just showing where those ideas came from for the arizona props

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back