MadAlice's 2012 Halloween Costume Contest Entry - Lady van Tassel from Sleepy Hollow

MadAlice

I'm still a costuming newbie (bought my first sewing machine last year), so this project made me a little nervous: It's Lady van Tassel from Tim Burton's "Sleepy Hollow". Katrina's stepmother and the villain of the movie - in a full-on rococo gown. :love

svt.jpg

I started by constructing original 18th century underwear, namely corset and pocket hoops. The corset is stiffened by 26 spring steel wires which are sewn between two fabric layers. The pocket hoops were pretty simple to create in comparison, with spring steel as well. They are worn underneath the gown to make it stand out on the sides. The underwear was a whole project by itself, and it's kinda frustrating that it's not even seen in the end. :lol

Next up was the underskirt, which is needed because the robe is open in the front. I constructed the robe with a historic pattern from 1730-1760, but made some changes to make it look more like Lady van Tassel. The tough part was creating the foldings in the back and at the skirt. That resulted in a tantrums with flying needles from time to time.:cry Sleeves are generally not my favorite thing to do either, but I'm satisfied with the result...

The last part of the gown is the so-called "stomacher" - that's the piece of fabric (stiffened with spring steel again) that closes the robe in the front. I embroidered it with fabric ruffles to get a similar effect as the original, but I have no idea what the costume designer actually used - it's very hard to find close-ups of this, even on the DVD. In the end I also made a pin cushion and the necklace, and tried to make the best of a rather ugly Halloween wig.:D This is the result:

548817_10152197580210224_288328773_n.jpg

Hope it's not too big. :$ I'll post work-in-progress pictures later, and a "proof" picture as well...

Re: MadAlice's 2012 Halloween Costume Contest Entry - Lady van Tassel from Sleepy Hol

...and here are some WIP pictures.

1 - patterns used for the historic underwear
2 - corset construction
3 - finished corset
4 - pocket hoops construction
5 - finished underwear
6 - underskirt
7 - robe from the back (foldings)
8 - first result
9 - stomacher construction
10 - finished stomacher
11 - necklace detail
12 - movie scene in finished costume
13 - beheading my sister :lol

Re: MadAlice's 2012 Halloween Costume Contest Entry - Lady van Tassel from Sleepy Hol

Wow..a lot of work went into this. Looks good. Good luck on the contest.:thumbsup

Thank you! :) Yes it took me months to do this and a lot of nerves... I don't really have high hopes for the contest though, since it's "only" a sewn dress - no foam or fiberglass. :lol So most people probably won't see it as a lot of work. But I wanted to show it off anyhow - it's my first historic gown and I'm quite proud of it!

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back