Mad Monkey's Iron Man build. Mk7

Mad Monkey

Starting a build thread for my mk7 Iron Man suit... Started with some foam helmet builds, and have since progressed into a full suit pepakura build.

This is my first time using pepakura and the learning curve is steep sometimes!

thankfully im using the sweet files provided by Darkside501
Darkside501st's Iron Man Mk VII pepakura files - Password in First Post

there have been ups and downs and some wasted paper but overall im happy with the way things are going.

Last edited:
I have completed a bunch of parts right now, heres a few photos of the progress

20181109_100436.jpg 20181109_101058.jpg 20181109_121807.jpg 20181118_225812.jpg 20181118_225816.jpg

Last edited:
Creating the neck was a bit tricky, because of the time involved in printing/line work, cutting and gluing i decided to just enlarge it slightly on the sides with some strips.
i know once its completed i will need some way for the piece to attach etc so this will be a good mounting point for that

20181118_225824.jpg 20181118_225828.jpg

Last edited:
what i normally do is throw a movie on the monitor, sit here and trace out my lines for folds etc with the bic pens. then start to cut once all pages have been marked up. its been a good system. I use lids from the bins im storing parts in for trays for the parts while i work. (i have a few trays on the go around the "workshop" this helps keep parts seperate)

then once everything has been cut out and folded i start the glueing process (hot glue)
normally one day is for cutting etc, the next for gluing, gives my hands a break in between. sometimes ill assemble a few parts at a time if they are small.

Today I assembled the test helmet.

8-10 pages , 39 pieces.

took however long to cut etc, and over 3.5hrs to glue together over morning coffee and a few movies lol

20181120_120729.jpg 20181120_120741.jpg
this is the .98 scale, im going to try assembling the 1.0 scale as well to see a comparison. since this is a super critical part!

Last edited:
I don't know if it's a problem with the forums or what, but I can only click on your first two pictures. The rest are stuck at the mini thumbnail size.

first two pics worked for me as well...

the rest.. (all thumbnails sized in the middle/body of the modal)..

your last image worked fine as well..

ill have to fix it all later, silly site upgrades maybe.

Edit: fixed them. Might have been because I copied previously uploaded links. All fresh uploads

Last edited:
Just finished building the 1.0 tester helmet

Fits bigger... But I'm having a real problem with deciding on the scale here....i don't want it to be too bobble headed . But too small isn't good either

Thanks for the vote of confidence!

I think I'll have to hold off on helmets for a while until I have more armour made.. It's hard to get scale with just my fat butt! Needs substance to compare to
20181121_180653.jpg

I have the . 98 and 1.0 testers done.

Here's the .98
20181121_180918.jpg 20181121_180924.jpg
And the 1.0

20181121_180959.jpg 20181121_181003.jpg

I'm learning towards the .98 because it fits tighter but I'm not sure how much room I want in there..

I think it depends whether you want to build this suit in foam or use pep files with fiberglass,and whether you want electronics in there or not.

finished assembling 1 hip pod, handplate,collar plates and upper forearm. these bicep "hinge" parts dont look fun to assemble so im delaying that lol

maybe ill start chest next.

Personally I think that it doesn't matter what you work on...just as long as you keep the creative flow going for yourself.
That's what I tell and promise myself; even if it's just one foam strip a day.Progress is progress(y)

Personally I think that it doesn't matter what you work on...just as long as you keep the creative flow going for yourself.
That's what I tell and promise myself; even if it's just one foam strip a day.Progress is progress(y)
What are you working on currently?

I'm still trying to put together a foam muscle suit for my (Marvel's) Mysterio costume...a snail build if anything,but nevertheless crafting my fandom.I learn as I go.This is my fourth torso.I cut up and recycled the previous material.Shame,but I gained the experience.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back