Mad Max: The Wasteland

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by Goonie, May 19, 2015.

1. Goonie

Goonie Sr Member

2. cayman shen

cayman shen Master Member

I don't know how he can top Fury Road, but Miller has certainly earned the benefit of the doubt. Bring it on!

PoopaPapaPalps likes this.
  3. PoopaPapaPalps

PoopaPapaPalps Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

My body is ready.

HEMADEW likes this.
  4. Noeland

Noeland Sr Member

Love the title, and happy Miller is already talking about more.

5. cayman shen

cayman shen Master Member

My fave is still the original, because I love a revenge flick done right. But I love a movie with a big heart and a humanistic touch as well. If Miller can do another revenge flick with a soul, with meaning (Kill Bill comes to mind, and in many ways so does Let the Right One In, though the climax isn't "revenge" per se) and take a breather from the messianic template of the last three, I'd be on board.

kristen jones likes this.
  6. dascoyne

dascoyne Master Member

I want a film that takes place between Mad Max and The Road Warrior where it's just Max and his blue heeler in the Interceptor having adventures on the road. That's the film I want.

3phase, Augh and Axlotl like this.
  7. Mr Webber

Mr Webber Sr Member

8. PoopaPapaPalps

Doesn't say much about it being actually made but Fury Road is such a watershed film in comparison to the other films it was released with that year, and I think it will remain so for future years, that if no follow-up films ever get made, I would be fine watching Fury Road for the remainder of time.

Axlotl likes this.
  9. batguy

batguy Sr Member

No modern summer franchise movie can be as well-received as Fury Road and not get a sequel.

10. Mr Webber

Mr Webber Sr Member

Its all on Dr Miller, the studio would front the cash for both scripts now if they could get him to sign.

Still think the yellow paint under BoB`s black skin was done on purpose for future flashbacks or an entire prequel story. MM 1.5 or early MFP Max are my favorites. Would love to see more of the Bullet farm and Gas Town on screen as well though.

Addition - No one ever talks about the clean waters between 2 and 3. I`ve tried to work something but it always ends up with Max on some camels and I`m all about the wheels so that does not gel with me. If you picture the iconic MM2 closing shot with Max and Pappagallo`s rig being reimagined with Hardy and dare I say it..BoB, could be a starting point.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  11. funboy1013xx

funboy1013xx Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

hardy was good, I want to see mel again, have them meet and hardy hands him the music box. then mel figures out he is the feral kid all grown up.

12. PoopaPapaPalps

Let's...not.

I don't understand this want of continuity on things that are striving to move forward and not be the original films. I would rather just enjoy them as good stories rather than bother muddying waters with ham-fisted retroactive continuity.

Riceball, Axlotl and Augh like this.
  13. Augh

Augh Active Member

Yeah I'd really rather be as far away from youtube spawned fan theories as possible. Max movies always came across better as modern allegories or mythical stories. Possibly about the same person, possibly similar people, possibly unrelated. No way to know after much retelling. The Feral Kid thing with Fury Road, I never really understood why people were desperate for that to happen. It's explicitly stated Feral Kid goes an established path, and noone really seemed to care about Bruce Spence being in 2 movies, so why this thing with the Feral Kid?

Going that "it's all connected, all of it alllllll" and you get Lucas syndrome, everyone is everyone's sibling/cousin, the world is the size of a sandbox, only one family in a galaxy of trillions is worthy of mention, etc etc. There's several years of space between Max 1 and 2 even before Fury Road showed up, why not do something with that?

14. PoopaPapaPalps

Or keep doing what Fury Road did: tell a story set in the Mad Max world. Who cares when it takes place? Just make the best possible film as you can.

This. Absolutely this.:thumbsup

Coincidentally, I felt this way with the Legend of Zelda games and even more so after Nintendo released that compendium retcon-ing the entire series. The fact that the familiar story is told time and time again, changing with those who are telling the story, and sometimes slightly altered to suit the time it's told in; that's what makes it legend!

Augh likes this.
  15. Mr Webber

Mr Webber Sr Member

Fury Road was so well crafted that it allowed me to totally accept the new universe but if they are going to go ahead with more than there is some obligation to give back story and foundation. Miller already displayed in Fury Road with so many nods to the past that he doesnt want to totally remove the audience from what they already know.

Augh likes this.
  16. robertsonick

robertsonick Well-Known Member

Perfectly said. THAT'S WHAT MAKES IT LEGEND!

Retroactive continuity is the scourge of modern storytelling. Just let it be. Tom Hardy is Max and who cares when it's set.

I really have no idea what kind of story I want, I just want to be back in that world as many times as possible. It'd be tragic if we didn't get to.
    Like how there were no Indiana Jones movies in the 90s - that would have been prime 'Indy fighting in WWII' territory.
    Like how we won't get a Dredd sequel.

One of my favourite parts of Fury Road was when Furiosa was being hoisted into the citadel, she looks down and sees Max isn't joining her - he gives a subtle salute, a mark of respect, and turns to re-enter THE WASTELAND.

Can't wait!!!

N.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Riceball likes this.
  17. robertsonick

Plus: we need a new Max costume for everyone to obsessively recreate, right?
    I've read that thread a few times over the years and I always get a kick out of the attention to minutiae.

N.

Riceball likes this.
  18. batguy

batguy Sr Member

My main concern now is the hype. How can Miller live up to Fury Road?

That whole thing was storyboarded out pretty specifically in the early 2000s. Miller put the movie together recently but a lot of the creative work was from 20 years ago.

And then FR sneaked into theaters with absolutely ZERO expectations. Many of the reviewers & early audience probably didn't even appreciate that this was the original Mad Max writer/director. Not only that, but people also didn't seem to remember that the original MM movies were not steaming loads of crap. People's memories of the originals had gotten overshadowed by all the imitations.

Fury Road was largely a 20yo piece of work, and it faced MST3K-level expectations.

Next time it will be all recent work, and facing Oscar-level expectations.

19. robertsonick

I don't know about all of that. Based on what Miller said the two other scripts are a part of all the work that had been done over the years but either way it doesn't matter.
    It's not like they're serpentine detective thrillers, they're straight-up action/adventure road movies.

He's got the scripts, he's got the perfect star, he's got his creative team and a golden brain for this stuff - I bet he'll knock it out of the park.

Positivity, guys!

N.

mofo77 and PoopaPapaPalps like this.
  20. Mr Webber

Mr Webber Sr Member

Hmmmm,

mm5.jpg

Posted on the official instagram yesterday after a year of nothing, should we be getting excited?. Got this from the madmaxmovies forum.

21. PoopaPapaPalps

It looks like he's just giving her some direction. I think there's a BTS video with this in it.

22. Mr Webber

Mr Webber Sr Member

I much prefer that it`s hinting at an imminent Mad Max 5 announcement.

23. CB2001

CB2001 Master Member

Witness!

24. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

Pretty sure that picture is just from the filming of Fury Road. Not from the new one.

Axlotl likes this.
  25. harrisonp

harrisonp Well-Known Member

I don't think there is any doubt about that, more that it was a way of drumming up word of mouth and showing that there is still activity in the Mad Max camp, potentially heralding an announcement of a future installment

26. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

Ah, sorry. My misunderstanding, then. I thought people were suggesting it was a set shot from the rumored new film or something.

harrisonp likes this.
  27. Riceball

Riceball Sr Member

Is this some sort of Game of Thrones/Mad Max crossover starring Danaerys?

28. The Wook

The Wook Master Member

Gee, I hope they cast a badass female lead again who dominates the story, while the supporting actor who play's Max stands on the sidelines looking clueless and comatose.

The Wook

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
    Monkey67 and MooCriket like this.
  29. Mr Webber

Mr Webber Sr Member

Um, wow. Was it that cryptic?

30. kristen jones

kristen jones Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Now now, The Wook... we don't want to be wishing for more Girl Power run AMOK, do we? ;)

The Wook likes this.
  31. Mr Webber

Mr Webber Sr Member

Well since nothing came out of comic con, its a total bust.

The person in charge of the Mad Max official instagram page has either the best sense of occasion ever or is completely lacking a sense occasion.

32. joberg

joberg Master Member

"Before Inspiration, comes the Slaughter";) Sometimes, good work is done in the Dark...no need to go to Comi-Con to compete with the Jones. Miller is doing his job, prepping what will be a truly inspirational movie!

33. PoopaPapaPalps

One can only hope.

Axlotl likes this.
  34. dascoyne

dascoyne Master Member

Starting with The Road Warrior, George Miller intended Max to be a character drifting into someone else's narrative. He's never really the principal character of the plot. He's a tourist, much like Toshiro Mufune was in Yojimbo. This way Max also can remain relatively static figure throughout the franchise.

And I really don't want to see Max as a central character going through some existential arc beyond the moral commitments he seems to struggle with in each movie. I like Max as a grunting force of nature.

So it didn't bother me that Fury Road was more about Furiosa than about Max. With the exception of the first movie, none of the previous films, were about him either - the only difference is that Furiosa was the first central protagonist that wasn't pathetic.

AnubisGuard and kristen jones like this.
  35. The Wook

The Wook Master Member

Max did way more in RW and BT than he did in FR.

FR sucked, as a Mad Max movie. Shoulda been called Mad Charlize.

I love Charlize Theron! She's hot, great SA accent, and an amazing actress. And, she did a good job in FR. But for crying out loud, give her her own post-apocalyptic movie, instead of making her the star of a MM movie by relegating him to the sidelines (or tied haplessly to the front of a vehicle!).

The Wook

MooCriket, Monkey67 and Gimpdiggity like this.
  36. PoopaPapaPalps

I don't agree but I understand where you're coming from.

But in all the films, even in the first MM film, Max was the catalyst for the events in the story and in the later films, the films proceed because of his involvement. I think FR is no different and makes a statement to the frailty of his character in that, by the end of the film, when the there is a potential of settling down and making something decent in an indecent world, he turns his back to it. He is too ingrained in that chaotic world; it's what defines him, ironically. For him to join Furiosa at that point, he would lose what makes him Max, which is a really interesting thing to think about because that's been his entire goal as a character: to find that peace as a man again, but to have it, he would lose his identity. And, sadly for him, that's all he's clung to since the first film. The idea of what makes him him and, hinted and implied at in FR, even he's not sure anymore.

kristen jones likes this.
  37. Axlotl

Axlotl Master Member

This conversation has just illuminated for me a pretty big problem with Fury Road that I never noticed before:
    Narrative viewpoint.
    The film begins from Max's viewpoint (it even opens with him saying "My name is Max"), then, after his confrontation with Furiosa, it shifts to her perspective.
    I wonder if this problem may be the root of the reason why some fans dislike this film, whether they can identify the problem or not (I only just realized it myself).
    What would this film look like if it had been told entirely from Max's perspective? Or Furiosa's? Or even the wives (the film even seems to take their viewpoint at times).
    I like the idea of the stories of Mad Max being legends, like stories told around a campfire, but that narrative doesn't work if you open the movie with actual narration from Max himself.
    George should have picked a single perspective and stuck with it (I'd prefer to see the wives' perspective, personally).
    I wonder if fans like Wook would like this film better if it was told entirely from the perspective of the wives.
    Then Furiosa wouldn't be the star of the movie, she'd just be fighting alongside Max.

MooCriket likes this.
  38. patrickivan

patrickivan Active Member

Honestly, I don't want to see Max struggle with anything. He did in #1 and it broke him. Now I just want to see him drive his car, occasionally come across someone in need of help that he instinctively has to assist, fight oppressors, and move on.

No personal growth. No moral lessons. Just: Wander, Loot, Fight, Wander, Loot, repeat...

39. PoopaPapaPalps

Axlotl

I don't think that's exactly a problem with the film moreso a problem the viewer would have. Personally, I thought it worked because the film starting with Max's intro sets up how he sees the world and how his state of mind is at that point. When we're introduced to Furiosa, her viewpoint contradicts his and, in being stuck travelling with her, it reawakens something dormant he had suppressed for so long. Something that, ultimately, will tie him forever to the wasteland and keep him a wandering figure in it.

To the comment above mine, though I don't personally find that a very interesting set up for any story, even that has deep running moral implications for a character. Also, I think that was implied to be the thing that drove Max to the where he is at the start of Fury Road, having being boiled down to just an instinct (surviving) from repetitious fighting, looting, and running.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  40. dascoyne

dascoyne Master Member

I can relate to your sentiment.

I would likely have been bothered more if Mel was still playing Max.

In my mind I was still trying to weigh Hardy's interpretation. In the meanwhile I was getting engaged with the other strong characters of the film. Yeah, part of me wouldn't accept that Furiosa could credibly engage the real Max at hand to hand but at least they made it clear she wasn't a physical match. And her performance was so recklessly nihilistic I liked watching her character. I could see her toe to toe with this Max. If it was Mel Gibson I might have felt differently.

I thought Thunderdome was much worse. The other characters were either weak or annoying or both. Tina Turner was just playing herself. Master-Blaster was a cool as a concept but the writing and performances were meh. And, worst of all, those stupid desert kids. God, I hated that movie. I just wanted Max to kill them all and drive away. On the other hand the characters in Fury Road were exceptionally written and performed. I came into Fury Road afraid of getting another Thunderdome.

The film I want most of all (which I know I'll never get) would just be the story of Max between Mad Max and The Road Warrior where it's just him (Ideally played by Mel Gibson digitally de-aged(?), the cattle dog and his V8 Interceptor having adventures in the wasteland.

MooCriket and The Wook like this.
  41. dascoyne

dascoyne Master Member

I always thought the shifting perspective between films was a good way to explain continuity errors. You reminded me how off-putting Max's voiceover in the trailer was. This communicated that this was a different Max from the previous films and maybe that was the intent. I prefer Mel's enigmatic Max above Hardy's pensive, brooding Max.

42. Grey

Grey Sr Member

You nailed it. Mad Max stopped being Max's story after the first movie, imo. To take this in a completely different direction, it highlights whats wrong with all of the Riddick sequels. Pitch Black wasen't a movie about Riddick, it was a story that Riddick was a part of. Every movie since they've made it about him and it just doesn't work.

For the record, it really wasen't about Furiosa either.

43. The Wook

The Wook Master Member

I don't care whose perspective the story is told from, so long as Max is featured heavily in the film and is totally badass. Not necessarily virtuous, but definitely not a villain. A character who's very important, if not central to the story. That was Mel Gibson's Mad Max, in every film.

But the people who created FR made a conscious decision to relegate Max to the sidelines, looking clueless and vacuous, to make room for someone else to be that cool character, and cast Charlize Theron for the part. It was part of this ridiculous recent trend of rampant Hollywood liberalism writing female parts to be the baddest good "guy" (Furiosa, Rey, Jyn) in their respective movies. Put bluntly in a term I coined on this site a couple years ago...Girl Power Run Amok!

As a Mad Max movie, Fury Road sucked.

The Wook

44. joberg

joberg Master Member

Wook, I can understand where you coming from (the strong female character is not new...going on for more than 30 years now;))... what I liked about FR is that MM has to deal with something/someone he hasn't dealt with: i.e. the fact that someone cares about the others and not just themselves in this survival game.
    If Furiosa was exactly like Max, she would've acted like him also...which wasn't the case. The "taking care of # 1" story can last so long before starting to be repetitive: Max encounters problems, Max eliminate problems, Max continues walking toward the sunset:behave You gotta have more than that!

The Wook likes this.
  45. annanake

annanake Sr Member

Max did almost all the heavy lifting . he killed two of the three boss's Joe took team work , he did the majority of the fighting and pole flopping and car surfing and fuel breathing and as usual told them there plan was stupid and told them what to do to win .
    Pretty much the same as the last two movies he just talked less and they were women instead of kids and a dwarf !
    Max has been in someone else's story the last three flicks . its been the same story he only gets involved because he has to. Then at some point he can leave or (even try to leave) with his loot and then sees there doing something stupid and helps them out against his better judgment then gets screwed for his trouble . or walks away ??? Or did he ?

there are two other towns who lost there leaders as well , maybe he was going to plunder gas town while it was in leaderless chaos .
    That's what the max I know wants .
    V8 N Petrol to runner by .
    They even sucked him back into the MFP with the love of the Interceptor !

46. The Wook

The Wook Master Member

It's become absurd. And to make these women warriors shine even brighter, the men are left standing around helpless and hapless.

No ya don't.

The Wook

47. PoopaPapaPalps

I completely sympathize with your sentiment because I notice this, too, and it is because of this naive and misguided push from the political far-left. I do, however, think that FR is exempted from this scenario where you compare her to the female leads in the new Star Wars films because, as opposed to the latter two characters (Jyn/Rey), who are clearly blatant token characters, Furiosa was in the works with FR since day one, and the film was worked on over a decade on and off and she was a constant of it. I know you don't agree but I think it's an example of how to do it in a crazy time like now, where a character is cool regardless of what they are, and it shows in the film: she is directly a part of it. She works in tandem with Max in the film and she only progresses as she does because of his direct involvement. She isn't the end all, sole-savior, "omg-you're-the-one" type, who's brought in for no just cause and shoved down peoples' throats. You're right that the film is her story and that Max is just a figure wandering in it, though...

...Just as the last three movies were.;)

48. annanake

annanake Sr Member

Furiosa what is best in life ?
    To see the open steps of the green place ,feel the wasted water on your breast and use it to wash the dust out of your windblown hair !

NO !

Max what is best in life ?

To crush your gas pedal to the floor, steal your enemy's petrol if they dare drive before you and hear the lamentation of there engines.

Yes .this is good !

49. Monkey67

Monkey67 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

what 2 guys were those? In My count I have him killing a wounded / blind bullet farmer with land mine.

Charlize killed joe
    xmen beast kid killed the roid rage son
    foot solider or joe killed the fatty guy with no nose since max used him as a shield

Am I missing anyone?

oh I wanted the kids at the end to use the bouncer thing the F'd up little midget was in to sling shot his * across the desert. I thought that would have been so * funny.

50. annanake

annanake Sr Member

using the people eater as a shield is what i meant max took over his vehicle and used the guy as he needed till he got him killed , could have done him him self any time.

My point being Max was NOT regulated to the sidelines and clueless ! Take Max out of the story ?

Do the girls make it ?

Do they even get out of the first encounter with the dirt bike crew ?

But hey no flinging the dwarf !
    Its not fair to the other war pups who can't afford there own crippled dwarf to launch .

Not saying movies don't have messages and agendas to push though.
    Just don't think this one ruined max in anyway !