Frantikgirl

After seeing the latest Mad Max, I thought: "Boy, I sure do love Fury Road. Wouldn't it be cool to make a model of the War Rig! How hard could it be? I'll just kit bash a couple of models together."

Five years, seven individual model kits, hundreds of reference photos, and an incalculable number of mistakes later...

wr_shelf_full_side.jpg

For all the heartache this has brought me, I've never been so pleased with anything I've built. It is my favorite thing.

wr_shelf2.jpg

wr_shelf5.jpg

wr_shelf6.jpg

Of course, all I can see are the flaws.

wr_shelf7.jpg

wr_shelf4.jpg

wr_shelf3.jpg

wr_shelf1.jpg

War and Peace

Now here's some poorly lit detail photos:

pp_rig_full_front_quart.jpg pp_rig1.jpg pp_rig2.jpg pp_rig3.jpg pp_rig4.jpg pp_rig5.jpg pp_rig6.jpg
pp_rig7.jpg pp_rig8.jpg pp_rig9.jpg pp_rig10.jpg pp_rig11.jpg pp_rig12.jpg pp_rig13.jpg

Everything is either kit-bashed or scratch-built, with the exception of the big tires on the rig. I couldn't find the right tires in the right scale, so I watched a bunch of Autodesk 360 tutorials and modeled the tires myself (PM me if you'd like a copy!) and sent them out to be printed (I don't own a printer myself).

And now for some build pictures:

buildpic1.jpg

How it began

Back when I thought this would be simple, I had three kits. None of which are correct. In fact, the main body of the real War Rig is build out of an Eastern European truck called a Tatra. I couldn't find a 1/25 scale model of a Tatra. One reason this was such a huge undertaking was because there wasn't a single piece of the rig that didn't need to be cut apart and put back together in a slightly different configuration.

buildpic2.jpg
buildpic3.jpg

Widen EVERYTHING

The War Rig is very W I D E. I discovered that they didn't just use a 47 Chevy for the back end. They cut it in half and added an extra bit in the middle.

One of the coolest things about this project was that by building with existing kits, I understood how the real thing was put together: how things attached, the relationship between parts, materials they used, etc.

Adam Savage said in a recent video that a project like this turns you into one the the world's few experts, and that's exactly how I feel. I could totally build a real War Rig (if I first got an additional 30 years engineering education and experience).

buildpic4.jpg

The console and seats, also extra wide.

buildpic5.jpg

buildpic6.jpg

Two semi engines squished together.

buildpic7.jpg

Double long nose to fit two semi engines.

buildpic8.jpg

If you look closely at reference photos, the iconic turbochargers that stick out of the top of the hood are just welded on top of a couple of steel boxes. They're not actually functional (movie magic).

buildpic9.jpg

I got the turbochargers from a hobby shop that sells 1/25 scale kit mods.

buildpic10.jpg

Of course, the engine covers had to be removable, although I eventually changed the magnet placement.

buildpic11.jpg

The front end involved a lot of scratch building. I made blueprints in Illustrator and cut them out of sheet styrene layer by layer. 3D printers didn't exist back in the distant past of 2016, right?

buildpic12.jpg

buildpic13.jpg

Yes, the cow-catcher is too long and sharp. No, I'm not going to re-build it.

buildpic14.jpg

Seal it up. I won't see the interior again for two years.

buildpic15.jpg

buildpic16.jpg

So many greeblies and tanks and such get stuffed beneath the cab.

buildpic17.jpg

Shiny, not chrome enough.

buildpic18.jpg

The nightmare begins

I had a dickens of a time finding a tanker. Nothing was ever going to be large enough, but I at least needed a tank that was the correct shape. This was the closest I could find. The kit yielded a lot of great parts, but getting the tank to be the right size and shape was a ton of very sweaty, messy work.

buildpic19.jpg

Can you see the problem?

Even after sculpting a new front end and adding a narrowed waist section, the tanker is still too short. There should be one additional rib section. I decided I could live with it.

buildpic20.jpg

It fits

Sometime after that picture was taken, the mostly complete rig met with an accident. It fell off of a shelf and shattered into many sad pieces. It took me months to put it back together, but also gave me the opportunity to fix some parts that I didn't like. I'd learned a great deal over the course of the build, so some early efforts just weren't up to standard.

So... yay?

buildpic21.jpg

Flags

buildpic22.jpg

Skulls

buildpic25.jpg

Rust

buildpic23.jpg

???

I decided I wanted a simple diorama for display. I had an extra VW bug lying around, so I Mad Maxxed it. I wanted it to be broken down and buried in the sand.

buildpic24.jpg

buildpic26.jpg

Love bug

buildpic27.jpg

Panel highlights, dry-brushed paint chipping, and rust streaks

Oil paints take forever to dry. AmIRight? After the rust coat went on, I gave it another matte coat and then used earth tone pastels to simulate dust.

buildpic28.jpg

Foam rock, real rocks, sand, and horse-hair grass.

I loved building this, but would never build another, so don't ask.

And that's all.

wr_shelf_full_side.jpg

Last edited:
Fan-tastic!!! All your hard work and blood, sweat, and tears was worth it. Take a bow, sir.

Just makes me wish someone made a Gigahorse model (diecast or otherwise). Sigh. I love that rig. Why there wasn't kit or collector diecast vehicle merchandising done for Fury Road is a mystery to me (assuming the usual niche market/budget/profit/studio/etc reasons).

Wonderful work, and great weathering! I know what you mean about doing a truck model--I had the same experience making a model of the truck from Duel. Since I normally am making spacecraft or monster models and hadn't built a car or truck in years, making the Duel truck kept having me thinking, "Oh, so this is how a truck is built..."

Wow!!!!! I just love it. [emoji2956]
Great work.
I like post-apocalyptic trucks above all and you made one of my dreams come true with this one. [emoji122]

Wonderful work, and great weathering! I know what you mean about doing a truck model--I had the same experience making a model of the truck from Duel. Since I normally am making spacecraft or monster models and hadn't built a car or truck in years, making the Duel truck kept having me thinking, "Oh, so this is how a truck is built..."

I watched the Duel truck build on Trekworks' YouTube channel. It was a huge help in learning how to do this kind of weathering using paints and pastels.

Fan-tastic!!! All your hard work and blood, sweat, and tears was worth it. Take a bow, sir.

Just makes me wish someone made a Gigahorse model (diecast or otherwise). Sigh. I love that rig. Why there wasn't kit or collector diecast vehicle merchandising done for Fury Road is a mystery to me (assuming the usual niche market/budget/profit/studio/etc reasons).
Ma'am... but no worries :)

I also think it's strange there aren't any kits or licensed replicas out there for the truly crazy stuff like the rig or the Gigahorse. There's Interceptors out there, but that's it.

I wouldn't be shocked if some day someone makes a Kickstarter for some of this stuff, if they can get permission.

Doh! Please accept my humble apologies, Ma'am, for making ass-u-me-umptions that, well, makes an ass only out of myself.

Until we get that kickstarter, will just have to gaze at photos of kit bashes/scratch builds like these.

For those with 3D printers:

E
I know that Plasmo is building a 3D printed version for his YouTube channel. I wonder if this is the one.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back