Macrobinoculars Build on a Budget: Display Bases Added

Here’s where I got the black disk placement from…

Attachments

• E28CD2D9-6BE2-4AAC-B73C-65AEEB22895F.jpeg
    E28CD2D9-6BE2-4AAC-B73C-65AEEB22895F.jpeg
    603.9 KB · Views: 73
The bubble strip is definitely over the label, they tend to always cover up anything that says it’s from Earth. Also the disk is there but I’m guessing it could have fallen off later which typically happens with Star Wars props. I have it on mine, I’d have to dig up all my references if you want specifics. I do have a reference photo of it missing in an exhibit after Star Wars but in ANH I believe it’s there.

Great. Thank you.

If you have any pics of the real prop that would be awesome. I can not seem to find much.

The black disc is just the eumig lable removed, some turn it over and paint the back black.

The bubble card is also from the flash on the eumig

The 4 knobs are from the Kilmar, they are the spool rewind knobs, the large focusing knob is from the seagull Ethan is working a replica of that.

Attachments

• 35662C19-B0BF-43A3-864B-D80EA66BE852.jpeg
    35662C19-B0BF-43A3-864B-D80EA66BE852.jpeg
    151.4 KB · Views: 47
Also my fujita came in the mail today, I was glad to find that it is in better condition than the pictures seemed to show, the right side was missing housing and in bad shape, but the right still looks perfect, viewfinder is operational. The hinge pin was sticking out but not stuck, used a punch and knocked it back in.

956BF80F-522B-41B9-A2F1-A39CCE488DA0.jpeg

The kowa lens arrived, one was pretty dented, found this thread on a camera forum, incase it helps anyone else with a dents lens

Attachments

• BD2CACD6-B358-4B09-ABA2-A40240CDB142.jpeg
    BD2CACD6-B358-4B09-ABA2-A40240CDB142.jpeg
    429.3 KB · Views: 53
Brilliant work. Great choices all around. Congrats!
I made a set myself (years ago) using found parts and I was happy to get $800 when I sold it.
You'd be lucky to get ONE LENSE for that these days...
Nice job!

Okay I was the one who snagged the Kalimar off Ebay posted a page back. It was actually a friend who snagged it for me and we did a trade.

It was a lot to spend but the closest alternative was going for so much I decided to do it.

I was also gonna snag the set of modified Kaligar lenses in the junkyard, and we even made a deal for them but then I got some bad news that included some financial news and the summer is already so tight that other than a couple things I already have money set aside for everything needs to wait until the fall so that deal did not happen.

Okay here is where I am at.

Eumig gutted, transition box, and hood attached no problem thanks to Portumac's amazing transition box.

Kalimar buttons off. One screw on each had to be drilled. I think they were glued. The others came out no problem.

Bell and Howel dial came off easy. It spins as will the entire knob.

Seagull knobs a nightmare. Had to cut them out with tin snips. No clue how to remove them. Any ideas would be appreciated. The only thing I can think of is to gently dremel the metal off of them?????

1653497813666.jpeg

1653498027401.jpeg

Lots of misc, rings to accurize the lenses.

1653498094444.jpeg

1653498152160.jpeg

1653498172515.jpeg

for the Seagull knobs, pull on the top part with one hand, secure the center part revealed when you pull on the top with pliers and they will unthread. good luck.
the worst for me has always been the large Seagull knob! I'm surprised that you didn't mention it, maybe you found a way that I never found.

Congratulations on getting the Six Sixty!

Great progress.

Re the seagull buttons - I think I read somewhere if you pull them up and put pliers on them they will unscrew - but that may be the kalimar buttons?

You guys rock. They came off no problem. Thanks so much.

For the big Seagull knob, after I cut off the button knobs I ripped the entire side off, I think. It must have been easy from there. I really don't remember how I took it off so it must have been easy.

Yeah, those Seagull knobs were perplexing to me as well... UNTIL you finally realize how they come off! LOL!! I found out how to do that here as well... THANKS to whoever figured that out to begin with! ;)

I’d like to offer the following solution for the side mystery box (EIAJ/Ibanez/video cable plug) assembly:

They have two products in stock you can search on L5210 or L5203. $10 each plus $10 shipping. So $20. It’s not supremely accurate, but it’s close for a cheap build. Not metal but plastic, and it can be filed or filled with putty, etc. The sales Person told me that they make the plug. So even if they don’t have either cable in stock they can make them in short order.

I wish I had found it before I spent a lot more for an Ibanez UE405…

I received this. It won't work. It would be easier to scratch build than mode this.

The above Ebay item would be a better choice.

I received this. It won't work. It would be easier to scratch build than mode this.

The above Ebay item would be a better choice.
Accuracy (quality) of parts and low price don’t often intersect. Considering some cheaper builds aren’t focused on accuracy per se, that’s why I thought it might be acceptable for some builders.

Also a good solution for the seagull knobs is to use a pair of needle nose pliers or needle nose vise grips and wrap thee jaws in good sticky double sided or vhb tape. Helps prevent marring the surface of the shaft, and the knobs will definitely unscrew.

Okay my Macro brothers I need your help again. Man Cameron and Trooper both said when I had them build mine that these were not easy and they were not kidding. Adding in all the mods I am doing to the lenses and wow.

Okay so I had to take out the lenses glass. Not easy. I think they were made of bullet proof material.

I am putting in a video camera so I need help figuring out what to use to replace the wacky curved lens glass that will be curved but crystal clear for the camera to be behind.

Any ideas?

Okay comparing pics I think my white front lens extensions are a tad to wide. Will gently sand down a bit.

1653885463323.jpeg

1653885331526.jpeg

Attachments

• 1653885266921.jpeg
    1653885266921.jpeg
    774.1 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back