Macrobinoculars Build on a Budget: Display Bases Added

Okay after my last post I was feeling bad about being so lazy so I went searching but I did not have any luck finding info on the side box?

Sorry, one other question.

Reading a lot of stuff about Macros. I avoided them since I had to sell mine. Getting up to speed.

It seems like the Kalimar Viewer hood is also crazy rare and or expensive????

When I had my set the lenses were getting expensive but the hood was not that bad.

Maybe there will be an alternate hood as well.

Hey Tom,
the hoods are pretty expensive as well indeed, either you get them on a full expensive Kalimar, or the last I saw were all around 250$ a piece.

the "side box", EIAJ plug, is 2 pieces, the male and female. the female part is much more difficult to find:
DSC02113.JPG

assembled together:
DSC02112.JPG

some people also wrap coper wire around the 8 front soldering lugs.

that version that I'm showing here is the cheapest, it always depend on your luck, but for instance, I managed to source quite of few of those for around 20€.
the female part, I got extremely lucky at some point and found a bunch but they are prety hard to find. Some have sourced full tape recorders or rare vintage pedal board just for that part I think...

I hope this helps already,
cheers

The side black “box” on mine was around $70 which was a welcomed amount compared the the $275 accurate one I found on eBay. The front part of it I 3D printed and modified.

As to specifics on that part, I’m sure there’s people here who can speak to that WAY better than I can. ;)

As for the view hoods, I was initially going the be using the one that comes on the Seagull until I found the Kalimar Reflex. While neither are spot on, the Reflex is a really good “affordable when you can find one” alternative and if you’re using the Seagull knobs and wheel, you’ve got a decent viewer already. Not the most accurate but workable.

Man this sucks. I take care of my family, put them first, bla, bla. I had to sell the bulk of my collection to keep us afloat, etc. Trying to re-familiarize myself with the macros I am searching pics and what do I find. I am looking at photos of this one set, and thinking that's just how I want to set up mine. Well, they were mine. The very pics I took to sell them. Full real parts, video recorder so they were truly real, controls on the outside, etc. One of the most awesome pairs ever made. I can say that as I had them made. Trooper and Cameron built them for me. Amazing.

That sucked.

Anyway ,.........

I’d like to offer the following solution for the side mystery box (EIAJ/Ibanez/video cable plug) assembly:

They have two products in stock you can search on L5210 or L5203. $10 each plus $10 shipping. So $20. It’s not supremely accurate, but it’s close for a cheap build. Not metal but plastic, and it can be filed or filled with putty, etc. The sales Person told me that they make the plug. So even if they don’t have either cable in stock they can make them in short order.

I wish I had found it before I spent a lot more for an Ibanez UE405…

Attachments

• B811CCA3-BD97-4225-AD80-EC8F883B3668.jpeg
    B811CCA3-BD97-4225-AD80-EC8F883B3668.jpeg
    179.3 KB · Views: 61
No worries as far as I’m concerned… we can start talking budget builds if that’ll help some builders. I’ll start pulling stuff together as well to post
Am I correct in thinking your stand will fit any macros based on a Eumig base, any plans to do a run, or offer them for sale.

I was mainly planning to just do one for myself but if there were enough interest I could. I’ll post in Project Runs with a link here once I get supplies in hand.

Could you tell me the outside diameter of the seagull 4A knob, looking for a cheap alternative. Initial thoughts are some sort of stereo/amp knob or hand wheel

Okay I give up. How in the heck do I get the lens off the Kowa?

Tried online, even found original instructions. No luck.

Thinking hammer.

Sorry, just saw your post… yeah, they are a pain to figure out but once you do, not hard at all. Of course I’m saying this after I had completely torn apart the first one I had trying to figure out how to remove it. Lol!

I’m thinking you could probably take the black ring at the base, trim the inside down and add it to the front, to make it a little more closer to the Kalimar lens.

I’m thinking you could probably take the black ring at the base, trim the inside down and add it to the front, to make it a little more closer to the Kalimar lens.

I am doing exactly that. I am also using the remaining piece that is still on the camera after you take off the lens to do the rear taper. It works great.

As soon as the second camera gets here I will post pics.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back