Macrobinoculars Build on a Budget: Display Bases Added

That’s awesome, my friend! I’ve gotten so much inspiration from others here’s its nice to be on the giving side. ;)

So, the prototype is done. All the measurements worked out and it’s ready for the final run. Here’s the latest one… forgive the wonky corners and mismatched colors, I’m using scraps to work out the layout. I have acrylic ordered and should be here in a day or two. Final display pics coming!

Attachments

• 1A59DE85-CDB4-4765-B3B0-8390F1E65F44.jpeg
    1A59DE85-CDB4-4765-B3B0-8390F1E65F44.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 83
  • F34A129B-DBE0-4671-A716-2488555B1A46.jpeg
    F34A129B-DBE0-4671-A716-2488555B1A46.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 84
  • 1B9E9B96-6E04-4837-A147-6149D80B15EC.jpeg
    1B9E9B96-6E04-4837-A147-6149D80B15EC.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 86
  • 1621DC44-A301-4DDB-92E0-DF45086220DE.jpeg
    1621DC44-A301-4DDB-92E0-DF45086220DE.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 82
Man, that is cool! Again, well done and nice work on the display base! Are you doing the final in clear acrylic or smoked like the prototype's base?

PS - I really like the plaque as well.

Thank you for the input, Teecrooz! I'm actually working on a couple of different designs for this for that very reason.

As I mentioned, I’ve been working on a couple of Marco display base options… the MDF version I’m planning to weather and age with the base and supports with a weathered metallic look.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• 3C34A862-D103-45F7-9FDF-D27A6345F9F9.jpeg
    3C34A862-D103-45F7-9FDF-D27A6345F9F9.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 68
  • CD1E7F4E-3237-4CF3-AE62-987FE6690951.jpeg
    CD1E7F4E-3237-4CF3-AE62-987FE6690951.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 70
  • D0742D5E-79EB-4347-B806-9BA01EF22B6A.jpeg
    D0742D5E-79EB-4347-B806-9BA01EF22B6A.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 58
  • A2D1CBEF-69FF-44B8-88B5-756DDD74879A.jpeg
    A2D1CBEF-69FF-44B8-88B5-756DDD74879A.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 68
  • C2513042-F195-4A82-8916-5DDCB5E3FB07.jpeg
    C2513042-F195-4A82-8916-5DDCB5E3FB07.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 68
  • 1FBE2220-4A4B-4715-B72D-6A24BC446386.jpeg
    1FBE2220-4A4B-4715-B72D-6A24BC446386.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 75
  • 377A0EB5-B211-474B-8B09-3E192E55DDB2.jpeg
    377A0EB5-B211-474B-8B09-3E192E55DDB2.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 73
I’d be very interested in an alternative to that part

Can’t believe I missed this, though I do tend to skip thread that would be out of reach.

Was the bell and howard just for the dial? And what part goes on the outside of it?
hey, this isn't my thread but I thought I would answer that :)
here is a photo with both bell and Howell and Seagull parts.
the B&H is kind of just for the dial indeed, even though we tend to also use the "cup" the dial is in as well. but this is the least used camera for sure, although it is also the cheapest.
the outside of the button comes from the Seagull. it is a HELL to remove from the camera!
DSC02457.jpg

the macros are a very cool project though :)

This piece:

View attachment 1572993

You mentioned a lot this is a budget build but I keep seeing these for a fortune???

Thanks
also, Tom, to answer you, this part can be found for cheap if you are lucky but mostly in the version showed here with the small metal tab. the ones that you see going for crazy prices are the ones with the large green tab, I never found one myself, they are much much much rarer!
for the story, there was a cable two weeks ago on ebay, a more recent (I think) plastic version but with ONE correct green tabs, the cable went for 224$
1651923425475.png

thanks guys, definitely not throwing money at this, I picked up a very cheap Eumig, just looking to put something custom together that doesn’t bankrupt me.

I’m just hunting cheap parts that look close enough in the general aesthetic

One of the reasons it was so cheap is it is missing the clear bubble card, I think a may have something in my parts bin, but does anyone know of a replica?

A lot of great questions and great answers… thanks for jumping in on this Eethan! I have a fellow RPFer, Cam, help out with the plug that I used on the side, (which is the cheaper version as shown in Eethans post. That and a resin wedge piece he sold me as a pair. I had the detail parts for the wedge i scavenged from the Eumig.
The things I saved the most money on were the lenses and building a lot of the detail parts myself. I have a Glowforge and a 3D printer which has been a big cost saver and scratch building the transition box… which all worked out fine as most of those parts needed to be custom to fit the lenses and viewfinder anyway.
The two biggest experiences were the Kalimar Relflex, the Seagull and the Eumig… the Kalimar Reflex is a much cheaper version than the SixSixty… the lens is not useable but the buttons are spot on and the view finder is close. All the cameras were being sold for parts as they no longer worked so they weren’t that much.

As for really budget friendly parts, there are listings on Etsy for stl printable file for Macrobinoculars. The parts are reasonably accurate and can be separated to print only what you need.

Thanks for all the help again, unfortunately I don’t own a 3d printer and all my builds are on a super tight budget. Your post has been an inspiration, eye opening and supper helpful.

I’m deep diving this build/parts now. Just finished the 43 page thread where the connector was discovered. Not that I would be able to afford the correct original parts, but the more I research/learn the closer I can get.

I’ve got a Eumig, missing the bubble card - I may have to send off for a print for a replacement. Or pull something out of another camera, also got the 50mm lenses,

Think I can scratch build a passable EAIJ in aluminium, same with the mystery cheese wedge.

I’m looking for a dirt cheap TLR camera - mainly for the viewfinder, I’ve seen a few candidates. But although they have been cheap, shipping to the UK has been too expensive (£48-130 which is crazy) so I’m hunting/waiting till something comes up. I’m sure it will eventually. The Kalmar would be ideal if I can find one broken/cheap.

I’ll have to make a custom box too.

don’t mind if the knobs are way off, I found a rotary switch that I may use instead of the B&H dial anyway so I can add some functionality.

Thanks for all the help again, unfortunately I don’t own a 3d printer and all my builds are on a super tight budget. Your post has been an inspiration, eye opening and supper helpful.

I’m deep diving this build/parts now. Just finished the 43 page thread where the connector was discovered. Not that I would be able to afford the correct original parts, but the more I research/learn the closer I can get.

I’ve got a Eumig, missing the bubble card - I may have to send off for a print for a replacement. Or pull something out of another camera, also got the 50mm lenses,

Think I can scratch build a passable EAIJ in aluminium, same with the mystery cheese wedge.

I’m looking for a dirt cheap TLR camera - mainly for the viewfinder, I’ve seen a few candidates. But although they have been cheap, shipping to the UK has been too expensive (£48-130 which is crazy) so I’m hunting/waiting till something comes up. I’m sure it will eventually. The Kalmar would be ideal if I can find one broken/cheap.

I’ll have to make a custom box too.

don’t mind if the knobs are way off, I found a rotary switch that I may use instead of the B&H dial anyway so I can add some functionality.
hey, just a heads up, and sorry for derailling a bit from the original intend of that thread, but since you guys are discussing cheaper options, I'm going to announce a few replica parts for wedges, buttons in a few days, so this might also be interesting maybe. Don't know if it will be budget friendly enough for everybody, but it will be cheaper than real parts :)
such a cool prop! I don't know why but the death star detention camera and the macros are two props I have been working on since the begining a lot. I have assembled 4 sets already and doing a few replica parts was just the next step, just like for the DS detention camera :)

hey, just a heads up, and sorry for derailling a bit from the original intend of that thread, but since you guys are discussing cheaper options, I'm going to announce a few replica parts for wedges, buttons in a few days, so this might also be interesting maybe. Don't know if it will be budget friendly enough for everybody, but it will be cheaper than real parts :)
such a cool prop! I don't know why but the death star detention camera and the macros are two props I have been working on since the begining a lot. I have assembled 4 sets already and doing a few replica parts was just the next step, just like for the DS detention camera :)
Excellent, I’ll watch out for that, I’d probably be in for a set of knobs, my budget allowing. Then I’d just need the viewing hood, but it would open up cheaper options of TLR’s without similar knobs. :)

No worries as far as I’m concerned… we can start talking budget builds if that’ll help some builders. I’ll start pulling stuff together as well to post

No worries as far as I’m concerned… we can start talking budget builds if that’ll help some builders. I’ll start pulling stuff together as well to post

I am sorry. I am slow. The Sloth is my animal spirit. Like a Sloth getting across a road, I need some help.

I am going for all real parts except the lenses. I have a set like yours. The side box may need to be a replica.

Can you explain your side box again? It looks like it's half one end of that cable and an additional piece???

How cheap is the cheaper one?

I am buried in work paperwork. Can someone please summarize this side box? When I had my original set it was yet to be discovered.

Thanks so much.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back