Mace Windu Fabric

MacFarc

Anyone know where to get the fabric used for Mace Windu's tunic/robes, or something close to them.
I've been all over the place and I cant find anything close to what was used for the robes
Cheers in advance all.

Kenny
:)

Kenny,

Have a chat with Martin @ MPM Costumes...

He should be able to help, if not, point you in the right direction.

Actually no, the ROBES in Episode 1 at least were made from the wool blankets.

Best thing would be to check out the dressing a galaxy book, they have some amazing close ups and details that will help you find stuff. I have seen really close material at Wal-Mart of all places. No one has ever found exact material for Mace but you can get pretty close.

I seem to recall that they purchased BALES of military surplus wool blankets. Don't recall from what country's military. Maybe finding out where someone could have gotten blankets in that sheer quantity would be a clue to the source of the originals?

In the Dressing A Galaxy book, Trisha Biggar says:

"While sourcing Episode I fabric...I came across several rolls of vintage brown wool fabric in a warehouse in the East End of London that still had the utility marks on the selvedges, which meant they had been manufactured around the time of the second World War, when textiles were rationed...we managed to squeeze out ten or eleven cloaks."

That's closest I have ever heard to the military wool blanket rumor. And I believe the fabric was only used for Obi Wan's cloak.

Originally posted by defyitall@Jan 2 2006, 10:36 PM
In the Dressing A Galaxy book, Trisha Biggar says:

"While sourcing Episode I fabric...I came across several rolls of vintage brown wool fabric in a warehouse in the East End of London that still had the utility marks on the selvedges, which meant they had been manufactured around the time of the second World War, when textiles were rationed...we managed to squeeze out ten or eleven cloaks."

That's closest I have ever heard to the military wool blanket rumor.  And I believe the fabric was only used for Obi Wan's cloak.
[snapback]1148951[/snapback]​

I also heard it was only used for Obi Wans Robe/Tunic.

I've been looking around the internet for something for Mace's Tunic and not found anything yet, but theres loads of stuff out there so I'll keep looking thanks for all the help with this guys

If you pick up the Dressing A Galaxy book there's a great closeup of the Mace fabric. Looks like a tweed of sometime; the closeup would give you a good reference for the weave, texture, and colors.

Originally posted by defyitall@Jan 3 2006, 06:58 PM
If you pick up the Dressing A Galaxy book there's a great closeup of the Mace fabric.  Looks like a tweed of sometime; the closeup would give you a good reference for the weave, texture, and colors.
[snapback]1149584[/snapback]​

Thanks

Originally posted by ObiWan_Knievil@Jan 3 2006, 04:55 PM
The tunics, obi, and tabbard were made from Indian Homespun.

-OWK
[snapback]1149739[/snapback]​

I swear I haven't seen this crop up as much as I have in the past 2 months.

Indian Homepun has not been proven as a use for ANYONE's tunics. Qui-Gon's is the only expressly mentioned and his is Silk Noil.

Originally posted by Primrodo@Jan 3 2006, 03:18 PM
I swear I haven't seen this crop up as much as I have in the past 2 months.

Yeah, me and you both. As some people with more costuming experience than me have pointed out: homespun is just a type of weave. So Indian Homespun is just homespun weaved fabric made in India. Which isn't very specific.

Besides it being an unsubstantiated rumor.

Never thought it would be so hard to find this fabric.
I'll keep looking until I find something

Thanks to everyone who chimmed in :)

I've always thought Mace's tunic looked like some kind of lightweight upholstry fabric, if that helps. I'm probably waaaaay off.

here's the pic from Dressing the galaxy

dagwindudetail2lr.jpg

dagwindu24qm.jpg

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back