Macbeth (Post-release)

mau5

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2884018/

Macbeth, a duke of Scotland, receives a prophecy from a trio of witches that one day he will become King of Scotland. Consumed by ambition and spurred to action by his wife, Macbeth murders his king and takes the throne for himself.

Director: Justin Kurzel
Writers: Jacob Koskoff (screenplay), Michael Lesslie(screenplay)

Stars: Michael Fassbender, Marion Cotillard, David Thewlis

Teaser trailer was just released, the cinematography looks breathtaking and Fassbender's performance looks great. Really excited about this adaptation.

Teaser:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgH_OnrYlCk

firesprite

Master Member
Re: Macbeth (2015)

Ooooh. I'm always up for some Michael Fassbender and I have a soft spot for Shakespeare.

Probe Droid

Master Member

Just reread this on a recent Shakespeare bender. Good stuff! And Fassbender and David Thewlis together, oh yeah!

Fingers crossed.

Alan Castillo

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Call me a philistine, but why, oh why, did they have to make what looks like a huge production with great actors, in Shakespearean speak :cry

firesprite

Master Member

Call me a philistine, but why, oh why, did they have to make what looks like a huge production with great actors, in Shakespearean speak :cry
... Because that's how it was written?

I realize that there are folks that dislike the density of the language, but in the hands of great actors, it's a real treat, in my mind. I don't generally prefer Shakespeare's tragedies, personally, but I am looking forward to this.

My favorite Shakespearian film is the Branagh version of Much Ado About Nothing. Fantastic film. Branagh's Benedict and Emma Thompson's Beatrice are wonderful. Not to mention, we get a young Kate Beckinsale as Hero... :love

Last edited:

Probe Droid

Master Member

So your complaint or question or whatever is why does an adaptation of a Shakespeare play have to feature "Shakespearean speak"? That's pretty funny.

Alan Castillo

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

So your complaint or question or whatever is why does an adaptation of a Shakespeare play have to feature "Shakespearean speak"? That's pretty funny.
As firesprite said, I dislike the density of the language. It's a childhood trauma :lol

I hated studying Shakespeare at the school I was sent to. They started us off on Shakespeare in English Literature classes when I was 11-12, along with Keats, Milton and the likes. It was like reading Japanese to me at that age, and the amount of time and energy I spent simply to understand what was being said, was exhausting. This while other kids of my age in other schools were reading Tom Sawyer and the likes.

Unfortunately, by the time I was able to fully understand that which was to me a second language, and was doing essays about the philosophical nuances of the plays yada yada yada yawn, I got to hate that kind of literature, but whose story-lines I thought were great at the end of the day.

Fast forward 35 years, and the last such movie I loved watching, was The Merchant of Venice (Al Pacino) .... but my eye started twitching nervously when I heard the form of dialogue :lol

Point is, I love watching movies for total relaxation, and as I said, call me a philistine of find it funny, while I will definitely watch Macbeth, and probably get it on DVD, I still wish that it were adapted in 'modern' English, or even totally rehashed but keeping the basic story.

It's the way I feel, what else can I say :lol

0neiros

Master Member

I'd watch Branagh's Henry V before going to this one. It will get you "In the groove" for Shakespearian Dialect, and is a fantastic movie.

Alan Castillo

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'd watch Branagh's Henry V before going to this one. It will get you "In the groove" for Shakespearian Dialect, and is a fantastic movie.
Oh I've seen that. Comprehending etc Shakespearian dialect is not the problem ..... I just have a profound aversion to it.

Not even DiCaprio's Romeo & Juliet 'did it' for me :lol

Last edited:

jcoffman99

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Often I have to teach Shakespeare to lower level students. I don't know how I survived before Sparknotes.com. Their modern translations make it so much easier for the kids to understand. They actually like the "story".

cayman shen

Master Member
Often I have to teach Shakespeare to lower level students. I don't know how I survived before Sparknotes.com. Their modern translations make it so much easier for the kids to understand. They actually like the "story".
My technique is to read and act, then watch an act (usually the awful Polanski version). Then by act 4 I make them read a few scenes on their own to see if they can sort it out without being spoon fed. It's usually about 50/50 lol. But I've been surprised at how many kids will grudgingly admit that it's not bad. (I'm also sure to show them the end of Throne of Blood for good measure :) )

Axlotl

Master Member

Branagh's Henry V is absolutely the BEST Shakespearian adaptation EVER.
The battle of Agincourt was absolutely horrific, and Branagh brought it to life brilliantly.

As for MacBeth as a movie - I think it's better suited as a play, but I'll wait 'til I see the film to pass judgement.
I'm always game for more Shakespeare movies.