M72 LAW 3D printable

TazMan2000

Master Member
Getting bored of doing other projects, so I decided to try more 3D stuff. Some of the geometry needs to be cleaned up.

I intend to make this expand with the sights flipping up, however, I don't believe that neither resin or PLA will be suitable for the front sight, since it is pretty thin and the shock of flipping up may be beyond the limitations of the material. The rear sight should be sturdy enough, but it's hinge may have to be strengthened/thickened which may take a bit away from accuracy. For the rear sight, perhaps a metal hinge could be covered by a 3D resin printed façade.

M72 LAW.JPG

TazMan2000

A bit more progress. I figured out an easy way that the rear sight will be supported and still be printable. Still have to figure out the front sight flipping up and also the back cap needs more details. Plus the safety mechanism still has to be made.

3.JPG

The back cap wouldn't be in place with the rocket launcher extended since it is attached to the forward part.
4.JPG
5.JPG

TazMan2000

I hope he kept it. These are hard to find, and if you do, they are pretty expensive and in rough condition. In Canada, they destroy all the spent launchers.

TazMan2000
His dad kept several military items ie) helmets, 45 colt, holsters/belts, jackets and even a parachute. We used the launcher on several of our S8 films. We mixed up a pyro charge and ignite in the tube to simulate a firing. It worked out pretty good.

Your 3D model looks exactly what I remembered. Great work Taz.

Almost finished the A2/A3 version. A couple of greeblies need to be added, like rivets and the rear sight stop. There are modern variants out there, so I'm currently designing the A6/A7 version, which thankfully has a very similar body, but the sights are different as well as a few other things.

To make it more printable and functional, I had to sacrifice some accuracy, especially with the "rail" extension firing mechanism. I'm not sure what it's called but I'm using a decorative aluminum extrusion that should be at most Home Depot stores. Finding a ready made aluminum extrusion to the proper dimensions is very difficult. I found one on Amazon that was meant for a LED strip light, but I'm not paying 45 dollars for six of those. Plus, I made a couple of changeable parts in the assembly so only minor changes in the design will allow for the rail to be replaced if a more accurate rail ever comes about.

M72-1.JPG
M72-2.JPG
M72-3.JPG

If anyone has any suggestions on accuracy, feel free to comment.

TazMan2000

Last edited:
Here's the A6-A7 model. Still have some cleanup to do and also need to make the rear sight. The PIcatinny mount was easier to make than I thought since I managed to find exact measurements for the mount part.

I also found a nice closeup of the stickers on the side of the unit. I corrected for the roundness to get a pretty good representation of them and cleaned them up to be pristine. I believe the model markings in yellow on the side of these units was always painted on, but I will make stickers of that as well.

Hopefully by the weekend I can start some 'test fit' printing.
M72A7-1.JPG
M72A7-2.JPG

TazMan2000

Last edited:
Really Really Nice Taz!! :D(y) Excellent.
I just remembered, the unit we were tinkering with had a rubber cover over the firing button. Not sure what model it was, but the main greeblies on yours were the same on ours with some exceptions.

anamorphicWayne
Thanks. I'm working through pictures so some errors are bound to come in. Even some of the technical information about these I found on the net, don't agree on length extended/collapsed.

TazMan2000

I'm also dabbling with the idea of getting some filament like TPU or TPE to print out the buttons, but I probably won't use the rest of the spool if I print the two buttons.

TazMan2000

Very nice!
I'm a military collector (as well as other things), so I've an A1 (or A2) in storage if you need measurements / close up pics, but I'm assuming that you've got access to a launcher already, give the quality going on here.

As a random side note: *IF* you ever want to do the reenactor/collector communities a service, ppl are always looking for replacement end caps.
Offering these for sale could be a winner.

Very nice!
I'm a military collector (as well as other things), so I've an A1 (or A2) in storage if you need measurements / close up pics, but I'm assuming that you've got access to a launcher already, give the quality going on here.

As a random side note: *IF* you ever want to do the reenactor/collector communities a service, ppl are always looking for replacement end caps.
Offering these for sale could be a winner.

Thanks.
Actually, I am working off of pictures and under the assumption that the 66mmm rocket that this thing fires comes out of a 66mm tube. :D Eyeballing the rest. So any info with measurements would be a great help.
I'm not sure if I would want to print out end caps, but designing an accurate one that reenactors could use would be possible.

TazMan2000

Yeah, providing "parts" for real weapons [even if they're basically inert] could well be 'problematic' ...

Happy to provide any info you require, just PM (note, my fam comes 1st, so msg response times may be a day or two).

P.s. [/edit] I *think* one of my collector buddies might even have an inert practice rocket, so could probably get measurements for that too (but that might take a few weeks/months to sort out).

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back